is going over in protein really a bad thing?

Options
So I'm supposed to eat about 50 grams of protein according to this site. Today I had a very high protein day apparently and ate 99. But I'm wondering, is protein really a bad thing to go over in? I mean doesn't it give you energy to go out and do things like work out? And help keep you awake without having to rely on caffeine? I dont know I'm still learning about food. But is protein really a bad thing to go over in?

Replies

• acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    So I'm supposed to eat about 50 grams of protein according to this site. Today I had a very high protein day apparently and ate 99. But I'm wondering, is protein really a bad thing to go over in? I mean doesn't it give you energy to go out and do things like work out? And help keep you awake without having to rely on caffeine? I dont know I'm still learning about food. But is protein really a bad thing to go over in?

Per gram of protein it gives you 4 Calories :) So yes....

There is nothing wrong with it. Especially only for one day.... usually people go way over when they are bulking but in your case one day isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I find I need more protein that most people. Protein keeps me feeling full longer. I drink a lot of water and tea - very important if you're eating a lot of protein.
  • MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Bump!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    MFPs basic settings are pretty low for protein in my opinion. I have my macros set for 30/30/40 and my protein goal is over 100 grams per day normally (I am nearly 200 lbs though). Many people recommend eating about 1 gram per pound of lean muscle.

I honestly feel better - more full, more energetic - when I eat more protein as opposed to carbs. But honestly - do what works for you.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    You're only eating 50 grams of protein? That seems unusually low... Why are you only eating that much?
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Simple answer...no. You're fine. You'll find over time the more protein the better. It satisfies hunger better and keeps you full longer. Of course, it's great for muscle building and repair. Unless you have a special or unique health condition, you should definitely eat a lot of protein.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically sets protein at 15% of calories for people trying to lose. That's pretty low. I have mine set at 30%, and since I usually eat close to 2000 calories, that's about 150g of protein. A little high since I weigh less than that, but I also drink a lot of water. I'm also trying to build muscle, so I need it.
  • VFBloch0725
    Options
    I have heard that too much protein, over time, can create additional problems; I'm sorry I just do not remember exactly what sort of problems. For me personally, I need a diet enriched in protein because I stay full longer and my diabetes does not plateau as much; its a matter of finding that right balance.
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Protein fills you up and lasts longer than carbs. And unless you go over a lot or have kidney issues it should be ok. Ask you doc next time you see him. Plus if you go over it only once in a while I wouldn't worry to much.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    "going over" on protein is only relevant to people with renal/kidney disease.
    If no one in your family has problems, you probably won't either.
    Shoot for about 1 gm protein per lean body weight, to prevent muscle loss through diet.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    No, its not a bad thing at all. Protein is very important for building muscle, and muscle is very important for burning fat! My trainer recommends a gram of protein for ever pound you weigh when building serious muscle, give or take 20 grams. I'd subtract 20 - 40 if you're going for more lean muscle.

Also, MFP's protein levels could easily be a minimum rather than a maximum.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    MFP is set way too low for protein and I see almost all of my friends going over on protein pretty much every single day. I set mine to 30% too.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Eating your weight in grams of protein (ie- if you weigh 150 lbs, you should eat 150 grams) per day is what you are supposed to aim for if you're looking to keep yourself feeling satieted, and especially if you are trying to build muscle. Going over this amount still won't hurt you because excess protein is simply excreted in the urine.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I am over on protein every day, but MFP only allows me 45 grams per day on a 1200 calorie allowance. Even when I'm under my calories, I go over on protein. Today for example, I am at less than 1000 calories for the day, but 11 g over on protein.
  • IShowUp4Me
    IShowUp4Me Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 1gram of protein per lb of LEAN body mass...Protein makes you feel full longer....Won't spike your blood sugar and it helps you sustain your muscle mass. With that being said some women will FREAK out because they don't want muscles like a man and to that I say: YOU CANNOT look like a man unless GENETICALLY you are GIFTED...and lift HEAVY. Who wants to lose muscle and be all fleshy and jiggly.... NOT ME..

I personally get 100 grams PLUS a day of protein and I make SURE I DRINK plenty of WATER TO FLUSH the KIDNEYS......
  • embercakez
    Options
    Protein is set low on this site imo. I suggest you google macros and figure out how many grams of carbs, fats and proteins you should be intaking.
  • annjoelleen
    Options
    Protein takes more calories to digest than other macronutrients. So, unless you're going over to a dangerous degree, my understanding is that it is not harmful. It is the ideal macronutrient to be over in if you are getting extra in any of them. I have heard that it becomes harmful after 2 grams per pound of body weight. You don't need to eat that much, but you can before having harmful effects. If you have weak kidneys, it can be less because they filter out extra protein from your body (I work in a dialysis unit). Healthy kidneys don't have a problem doing this.
    I have eaten much more than 50 grams of protein a day for years and years. I weigh about 141 lbs. No problems from it.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about this lately actually, and I have read that eating more than 30% of you're caloric intake in protein can be bad for your body. But 30% is a lot. I mean for me it is. That's like 143 g. I try to stay within 70-100 usually.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. Going over on protein is fine. Just make sure you drink a lot and you'll be fine. Going over 30% is fine also. I regularly go over my threshold, and I'm on 40% of my caloric intake just with protein! If it were the case, you'd be seeing more serious muscle/body-builders keeling over dead in weeks!
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    no, more protein = less food intake due to satiety