Working out vs. Not

Options
Do those who workout everyday or even 3-5 times a week, loose weight more quickly then those who don't exercise at all? I have heard that to lose weight you need at least 60-90 minutes of cardio daily then i have heard you only need 10 minutes of cardio a day.. which is it!?

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You technically don't have to exercise in order to lose weight, just simply maintaining a deficit will do that. However, once you get down to your goal weight, you'll more than likely be "skinny-fat" if you don't do some type of exercising/strength training. 3-5x a week of exercise is advised. Time is person-specific
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    It's about calorie deficit. You can lose weight on diet alone. Exercise is good for fitness.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    exercise will help you be healthier, stronger and fitter. It will also help tone your body. Calorie deficit will help you lose weight, but you can end up still being flabby.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm certain I wouldn't have lost my weight without my daily dose of exercise. Even if I never lost another pound, I'm still going to exercise because I like the way I feel after.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm certain I wouldn't have lost my weight without my daily dose of exercise. Even if I never lost another pound, I'm still going to exercise because I like the way I feel after.

This...exercise is what helped me the most... You don't need 60-90 mins a day....
    I started with 30 mins of walk/running 4 times a week and lost about 40 lbs doing just that...throw some strengh training in there and you will love the results...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My weightloss is going much quicker since I started working out about 3 hours a day/ 6 days a week. It's working for me so that's what I'm gonna keep doing.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You technically don't have to exercise in order to lose weight, just simply maintaining a deficit will do that. However, once you get down to your goal weight, you'll more than likely be "skinny-fat" if you don't do some type of exercising/strength training. 3-5x a week of exercise is advised. Time is person-specific

this
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do those who workout everyday or even 3-5 times a week, loose weight more quickly then those who don't exercise at all? I have heard that to lose weight you need at least 60-90 minutes of cardio daily then i have heard you only need 10 minutes of cardio a day.. which is it!?

I just started cardio training last Wednesday and I've lost just under 100lbs in 6 months so ... easy to say it's not true.
  • saamantha
    Options
    Well. The answer to this is pretty obvious, but I'm going to chime in anyway.
    When I started counting calories in July I was getting in a lot of cardio and strength training, and I continued the trend until I went back to school in September. I lost 22lbs from July 3 - August 31.

Now that I'm back in school, the weight loss is a lot slower since the only exercise I'm getting in involves me getting off the bus stop 8 steps earlier so I can walk for 20 minutes. BUT! Keeping within my calorie limits is still helping me lose weight. I'm just about at my half-way goal. I've lost 32lbs total.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    My weightloss is going much quicker since I started working out about 3 hours a day/ 6 days a week. It's working for me so that's what I'm gonna keep doing.

I hope this is a joke.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's as dumb of a question as the one person said.

For me, I do lose weight quicker when working out but it's all about keeping a calorie deficit. If I ate back my exercise calories then I wouldn't lose weight any faster. I try to keep a calorie deficit of about ~400 from my TDEE without including exercise so that I lose about 3 pounds a month at this rate. It's slow, I know but slow and steady wins the race they say. ;)

Find what works for you. :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

You have that much stamina? Wow! I'm dead after 90 minutes at the gym lol
  • j9riter
    j9riter Posts: 20
    Options
    Hmmm. I've gained 4 pounds since I started tracking and exercising in June. Things just aren't working out well for me... I did much better a few years ago when I just did leisurely walking and trimmed carbs down. Haven't been able to carb trim this time around...
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The answer is that it is different for every person. It isn't always about caloric deficit, as many people who have trouble losing weight will tell you. It is about hormone balance. The trick is, how to appropriately achieve that balance is different for everyone.

j9riter looks to have lost their leisure walking time which is a good way to control cortisol levels and therefore, help control midsection fat.

How much exercise is right for you? Good question. Experiment and find out. Intensity is just as important as duration, if not more so. What I often try with my clients is to work them up to two or three days a week of lifting weights depending on their goals, and three days a week of Energy System Development (what we call cardio since we work on the different way the human body uses energy).

Every body is different and there is no one plan that will work for everyone.
  • MCNWifey
    Options
    eat to be healthy, exercise to be fit.

I really like this, great advice :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Exercise was a big part of my weight loss success. I lost weight without it, but it was much slower, and I tended to stall out and be much more prone to binging and overeating.

I agree with "calorie deficit for weight loss... exercise for fitness" mentality.

IMHO, however, both are important for long-term health and weight management.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Exercise to look good naked. Calorie deficit to look good in clothes.
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    love love love
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Resistance training allows you to preserve your lean muscle mass on a deficit so almost everything you lose will be fat. Without weights you'll lose significant muscle mass along with the fat.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Besides burning calories and toning muscle, exercise also tends to counteract depression, which can help you with maintaining your other goals. Regular exercise stimulates the production of serotonin, a brain chemical that regulates mood, appetite and sleep cycles, among other things.

That said, exercise can be a drag if you're doing something boring, like walking on the treadmill for hours on end. I would advise making it your goal to accomplish something you've always wanted to do, even if you think it's beyond your capabilities. Black belt? Ironman? Mountain climber? Yogi? Striving for a lofty vision of yourself is inspiring and hugely motivational.