easy vegetarian meals to take on the go??

I work 24 hours shifts and am not able to cook healthy meals at work. I have been taking micro meals (healthy choice or amy's) because they are convenient and then I know I will stay within my cals for the day. (If I don't have food with me, I know that I will end up with take out or something that doesn't fit my diet).

I am getting very bored with these meals and they make it very hard for me to stay under my sodium...

does anyone have any ideas of easy and healthy meals that I can pack ahead of time? I am prefer to eat a vegetarian diet...

Thanks
Kayla

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    So many sandwich and salad variations!! If you make a salad, throw some avocado, cheese and nuts in there to add nutritional value, and stick to low cal dressings (I like Maple Grove Farms non fat varieties, they are all between 10 and 35 calories for 2 tbsp). Sandwiches: Get some pita bread or Ezekial bread, and load it up with cheese and veggies.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Falafel, salad and hoummous in a pitta.
    Couscous, quorn fillets and salad.
    Veggie pasta salads work well cold.
  • goldyfalk
    goldyfalk Posts: 1 Member
    I like making veggie polenta "cakes." Before I put my polenta into a pan to set up I stir in lots of veggies that have been diced and sauted in olive oil and some parmesan cheese. Add whatever seasonings you like (I like garlic and basil along with a bit of salt and pepper). After the polenta has set up in the fridge I cut it into servings sizes that are easy to pack away for snacks and lunch. It's a nice way to clean out the vegetable crisper and is very portable!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Sandwiches with tons of veggies, pasta with veggies (sauce in separate container), stir fry, salads (dressing in separate container), tacos/burritos. There are also a lot of "side dish" type foods you can make the night before and pack up. You can do it and it shouldn't take you too much longer to make these the night before or in the morning before you go to work, you just have to get used to it and have the right containers available so stuff stays "crisp" and such when it's finally time to eat later.
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 4 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for 7.5 years, so I have my favorites.

Currently, I love black beans and quinoa seasoned with http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-southwest-seasoning-recipe/index.html. I reheat it at work, then throw on some shredded cheese.

Also, guacomole is so easy to make at home, and so delicious. I use premade seasoning for it though (really cheap), and eat the guac with natural blue tortilla chips.

Homemade hummus is also easy... just blend some canned garbanzo beans up with lemon juice and olive, then add your favorite spices. I go heavy on the garlic and onion powder, as well as cayenne pepper.

I like smaller fruits, like kiwis and berries.

There are also easy recipes for cocoa roast almonds online.

I've been trying to give up processed foods as well (about 85% 2 weeks in), and these are all made from scratch.
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    bump
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    these all sound like great ideas!! thanks.
  • wharkins
    wharkins Posts: 15 Member
    My daughter is the vegetarian in the family. She carries Tofurkey deli style vegetarian turkey with her and then adds it to cheese and vegie subs from Subway etc. This actually gives her an adequate amount of protein. Something that is very hard to achieve with vegetarian takeout.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    My go to quick vegetarian meal.

1 can beans, 1 container plain greek yogurt, 1 oz peanuts. Drain beans. Combine the yogurt, beans, and peanuts. Mix until blended. Eat with a side of carrots.
  • kaylalryan
    that sounds really good actually! What kind of beans do you like to use?
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    I am a poor college student and (mostly) vegetarian so I understand your plight! My easy go-to meals as of late are:

roasted sweet potatoes with a wedge of goat cheese (easy to roast a bunch of these on a Sunday); I often eat these with some braised lentils on the side (dried or cooked lentils sauteed with carrot and onion and some veggie stock, very easy and cheap and a lot of bang for your buck)

whole-wheat pasta "salads"- I usually make a box of pasta and mix in some feta cheese, a can of Muir Glen Organic tomatoes (I like the Basil + Garlic kind), some kind of veggie like zucchini or peas, and maybe a chopped up veggie burger

sliced apple and peanut butter (I eat this EVERY DAY)

Breakfast on the go is usually Overnight Oats: this has SAVED my mornings, for real! It takes two minutes to prepare. At night I mix 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup almond milk and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt and just stick it in the fridge. In the morning the oats have absorbed everything and I microwave it for 15 seconds to take the chill off. Then I add various toppings, depending on my mood- unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seed butter, granola, raw cacao powder, chia seeds, cinnamon- endless options!

These recipes help me SO much, good luck!
  • kaylalryan
    thank you! the sweet potatoes sound great! I will try that!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    I am not a vegetarian, but my food preferences lean that way. I work 12 hour night shifts, so I pack my food. I like a lot of variety.
    I usually blend a protein smoothie and drink it on the way to work. This week I cleaned and microwaved sweet potatoes while I was drinking my coffee. I took the skin off after it cooled a bit, dumped a 1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese on it with pumpkin pie spice and Stevia. I microwaved it at work when I got a break. Oh, it sounds odd and I have never cared for cottage cheese, but am working on increasing protein, once you stir it all up its really good. I take carrots and a piece of fruit. I always take a yogurt. Another favorite is a can of seasoned black beans and a bag of the frozen brown rice(steamer bag) and a little baggie of 2% shredded cheese, Yum! I keep a box of instant oats or Cream of wheat in my locker, along with instant miso soup, the coffee pot has a hot water spout so if I'm really busy and need something fast, I pull out one of those. I also keep protein bars for nights that I eat on the run. some times I boil some eggs to take with me. I drop them in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes, i hate cold boiled eggs, unless they are devilled. My diary is open, you can look at it for more ideas. Work nights should be pretty obvious
  • Thanks for the post, Glad to hear from other vegetarians. Here is my recent creation: I recently did a layered salad, with instant brown rice microwave type, canned black beans drained, frozen corn microwave type, bag of spring lettuce, with mango pico de gallo, avocado slices, didn't need any dressing, you can vary it by adding saute mushrooms etc.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    My daughter is the vegetarian in the family. She carries Tofurkey deli style vegetarian turkey with her and then adds it to cheese and vegie subs from Subway etc. This actually gives her an adequate amount of protein. Something that is very hard to achieve with vegetarian takeout.

I used to do this! It was actually quite good until I made myself sick of it (I was doing it almost every day). Great way to bump of the protein of the sub!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    A good salad that is easy to make and take to work or school:

a serving of cooked orzo. Mix in some olive oil, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, red or green peppers, arugula, stir and enjoy. Sooo yummy. I don't add any other dressing to it because it is already SO flavourful as it is. It doesn't need anymore help.
  • wraps and sandwiches are easy to make! there are veggy salami/bologna.
    here are other ideas..

chili : http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=31525

pizza: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=294062

there are sooo many things you can make
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    I bring a lunch every day, you just have to plan ahead. We are a vegetarian house too. I always make soup, rice dishes, quinoa, easy easy easy stuff. But a rice cooker if you don't already have one because it really saves time.
  • I have very long days at uni most of the week and even though there are some healthy choices in the canteena they are way to expensive to afford on my budget!

I normally skip breakfast because I have to leave so early, but I often bring scrambled eggs with tomato, onion and mushroom in a little container. I know cold scrambled eggs might sound awful but I actually quite like it.
    Another favourite of mine is a tuna and onion (love me some onion) salad, simply because it's easy - but you could always put in some tofu or falaffel?
    Also, I find that a range of small snacks really help me during the day. Celery sticks with a bit of tzatziki, carrot sticks, oranges.

The next thing I am going to try: Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne - it's cheaper and it sounds lovely! + it's easy to bring in a small container!

Love the sound of the pita alternative as well, but I am currently on a bread rehab diet. I used to eat bread with everything (but it really didn't fill me up) and I want to go without any bread for a while so I can start appreciating it more.