Heart Rate

Options
I have a question that i get mixed answers on.

Whilst exercising i can get my HR to around 180-190 (under the maximum for my age).

This happens when running or high intensity.

I go with other poeple and there HR remains alot lower doing the same things.

I know weight, height and ages play a part. but just genearlly speaking.

So bascially my question is does this mean i am unfit as my HR gets alot higher?

Replies

• j9riter
    j9riter Posts: 20
    Options
    Mine gets really high, really fast too. So much so that my trainer wanted me to see my doctor before continuing. I got an EKG and got the all clear. My HR always gets much higher than others. I easily get to 160s with a slow jog. It's embarrassing. But my dr said that as long as I wasn't dizzy or lightheaded, I just probably needed to build up my cardio. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Mine shoots up to 200+ for the first few minutes. I know this is obviously wrong. Then as I continue the exercise, it corrects itself and starts showing more reasonable HR like 156 or 130, whatever my heart rate is at the moment. I know that's right because the little heart icon is blinking exactly at the same rate as my heart pounding (which I can feel).

To get around this problem, I start monitoring my HR a few minutes before my actual workout. Then by the time I start exercising, it won't spend nearly as long trying to find my real heart rate.
  • reneejcam
    reneejcam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find it embarrassing to. I go to the gym 3-5 days a week and have been for a while. I wouldnt say that i am unfit but my HR seems to show i am.

It doesnt matter how far into the workout it is. It stuill goes up and can get to 200+ as well. As you said not ideal i know but it happens. Just dont understand as i am not overweight and i would say i have ok fitness.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that suggests you are unfit, yes. I'm the same. Run for a few minutes and I'm at or over 100% of the max heart rate predicted for my age.

Part of your problem may be low haemoglobin (anaemia), mine is low although my iron levels are high. Low haemoglobin means your heart has to pump more blood to carry the required oxygen for exercise. Getting haemoglobin checked would be worthwhile - I found out by trying to donate blood and being rejected.

Exercise will improve your fitness, my VO2max is up about 25% in six months, from when I wa sin the bottom 10% of the population. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Mine is the opposite. I'm overweight and unfit but my heartrate doesnt ever exceed 140 (i'm 6'1, 259lbs and 28). I cant ever get it higher than that even with sprinting! My resting heartrate is also fairly high so at resting its 70-80 but with exercise goes anywhere from 120-140. It seems crazy to me but im still losing fat and gaining muscle so i wont worry too much
  • reneejcam
    reneejcam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This might have nothing to do with haemoglobin, but i do have a iron deficiencies. So maybe this could be it. I know that i am not unfit so thats why i thought i would see if anyone else had the same issues. Maybe a trip to the drs is needed then. Thanks everyone :smile: