PMS and Water Retention

Options
Ladies,

How many pounds do you usually gain 'around that time', and when do you tend to gain it, before, during, or after?

Just curious. My scale, over the course of a day, shot up from 182 to 187. Big jump there, and it's about that time of the month.

Replies

• likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't know because i've stopped weighing myself during that time.
    It's a little too discouraging.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    A woman can gain anywhere from 2-10 pounds during that time period. Just put your scale up and don't weigh.
  • cgatmsu
    Options
    This is such an interesting thing because I have always weighed myself daily in the mornings so it's a consistent read. I usually lose 1.5 lbs/week. However the week of my period I will either gain 1-2 lbs or stay flat, but when I come out of it I usually lose those 1-2 lbs plus the additional 1.5 lbs that week. I was very inspired by this woman - sponsormyweightloss.com and she tracked her weight on there weekly- you can see the same pattern every month.

Don't be discouraged if you are doing things right it will eventually come off!
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yea.. Mine does it to, i noticed in one day, i woke up at 530am, tinkled, lol weighed in and then when i got back on at 5pm (afterwork) i jumped upabout 3 lbs!! That was a day when i didn't take in ant junk and felt lighter! Should poof been a lb down, 6 days later, ain't flow appeared! It always happens, get ua water pill and take it with loss of water and it'll help with bloat! Good luck
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of threads on this if you're interested in researching it.

Personally? 2-5LBS
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I gain a inch the week before and through out the period, the usually I gain 1-2 pounds or I won't gain or lose any weight during that week. Then the week after I lose the weight I gained plus 2 more pounds. That is as long as I stuck with eating right and working out those weeks.
  • jikkenkekka
    Options
    I normally shoot up 3 to 5 pounds; occasionally less, sometimes more. I normally weigh myself (started today actually, and I'll be weighing in as usual tomorrow) but just to see how much I'm up; I don't update my weight here or on any of the other fitness sites I use on weeks like these.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    it's hard for me to tell. I continued to weigh myself this month. It doesn't look like I gained any weight, but my weight loss slowed down a little bit.

But I'm not sure. I have Endometriosis, so I try to stay on birth control like Seasonique so I only have to deal with the type of "omg-kill-me-now" pain that is associated with the disorder. This month was so bad that my boss drove me home from work 2 hours early =\
  • MCNWifey
    Options
    UGhhh I hate that time of the month, I try not to weigh during that time because I always eat more then I should because I feel like i'm starving and i'm just so bloated.
  • ElliePhillips1991
    Options
    Thanks. That helps. :)
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I actually weighed myself during that time and was surprised to find I gained only a pound and then quickly lost it. I felt like I gained so much more. Tricky, tricky.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't gain the week of my period. My weight loss does slow down the week I ovulate. I've only gained once during my weight loss journey and it wasn't related to my cycle.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    yea I'm bloated right now I can visibly tell a difference...
  • Roxsand
    Roxsand Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I saw this topic!!!!!! I am currentlly going through this too! I hate the horrible bloated feeling! I was suprised to see when I weighed in this morning that I was 1 lb lighter! I figured it'd be much worse than that, even though I controlled my cravings that usually happen around that time!
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    oh, you know, just EIGHT POUNDS!. Ugh. I learned the hard way and refuse to weigh myself until it is completely over or else it's just no bueno.
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one I shot up 3 pounds this morning cos of it. Worked my behind off today to get rid of it..Im so bloated I feel miserable and I'm eating the house down..I hope its over soon.