is this a good exercise program ? (les mills classes)

Options
I joined the gym on monday and this is what I have done so far, I was thinking of doing this routine every week is it a good idea ?

Monday = body pump
Tuesday = body combat
Wednesday = body attack
Thursday = Body attack
Friday = body balance
Saturday = body combat

I know it seems a lot but I am really pushing for quick results and I have no motiviation in the gym I need the classes to really push me. I am also looking for more weight loss/toning rather than adding muscle/bulking up. I would like some opinions please :)

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Not too bad, if the class route is the one you want to go down. I used to do a heap of les mills and they can be pretty solid workouts. I would reccomend changing either your Wednesday or Thursday class for a second body pump. You won't bulk up (this is veeerrryy hard for women to do) but it'll help you lose weight and make your body look fantastic and toned. Nice mix though
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    what have you been doing up until now? If you have been sedentary, I wouldn't suddenly add 6 hours a week of high intensity exercise.

I agree with gmallan that maybe you could trade one of the classes for a second body pump for more weights... not sure about the wed/thur 2 days in a row of the same anyway, as you might be pretty sore

maybe

Mon - body pump
    Tues - body combat
    Wed - body balance
    Thur - body pump
    Fri - body balance
    Sat - body attack

so that you don't have strength training 2 days in a row?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You could be working out at your home and at the times you want to.
    Sure but she said she needs the motivation of group classes.
    I can totally relate; I'll blow it off entirely or do a half-effort if I don't have a group, if it's not an exercise i love.
  • jangyxox
    Options
    I guess short answer is if it works for you, go for it!
    I do bodypump about 1-2 times a week, body combat I try to do about 2-3 times a week (because that's my favourite class :-D)
    If I can't go to those classes I just make up my own circuit training and do those at the gym.

I find those classes can push me really hard - after 60 minutes of combat I am always buggered!
    And don't worry pump classes or lifting weights will not bulk you up it is physically impossible for women to bulk up like men because we don't have enough testosterone to do so.

Incorporating weight training is excellent to fast track your weight loss because it will allow you to burn more calories when you are resting.
    Good luck!
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I've done the Body Pump and Body Flow classes that are offered at the YMCA I belong to. Body Flow is great for stretching and includes Yoga and Pilates. I've never heard of Body Combat or Body Balance (unless that's the Body flow).
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Les Mills classes are awesome. I do bodypump 2-3 times per week (usually 3) , bodyattack 2-3 per week (sometimes 4!) and CXWORX when i can fit it in (30 min core workout). My favourite is bodyattack, lots of energy, loud music, just the best full body workout. they show easier options which you can use if you are new to the classes.