Feeling nibbly?

Options
So, often I feel what I call "nibbly"... not necessarily hungry, I just feel like nibbling- probably due to boredom. When this happens, I have some "tricks up my sleeve" to help me NOT nibble on food- drink water, chew gum, go outside and do something, take a bath, etc. Just wondering what others do when they feel like nibbling on food? I've seen a lot of suggestions thrown around on the boards here and there, but I'm always looking for more! :wink:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I come on here. The worst are those late night/ early morning hours when MFP slows down. Then I go play Bubbletown on Facebook. :P
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I come on here. The worst are those late night/ early morning hours when MFP slows down. Then I go play Bubbletown on Facebook. :P

I do the same thing. It is kind of slow on here late at night. I like to play greenspot on myspace!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf tea... my new favorite is good earth sweet and spicy or good earth green lemongrass... mmmm

I hope it doesn't snow too much girl! Its raining here, I had to hit to gym, I wanted to run too arg!

~Leash :heart:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello eaten with a baby spoon so it takes longer to eat
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My problem is I don't do anything else; then I want to nibble. Sometimes I have more calories in the evening than breakfast, lunch or dinner! :blushing: It's a lot more than desert or a snack... This is my weakness! :sad:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    i usually ignore it, but popcorn is where I turn if all else fails.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I, too, surf the net and find stuff to do that way, cause I can spend HOURS on the internet. Lately, when that's not a possibility, I try to turn my "nibbly sensation" as you call it, into a meditative state. I pause and focus for a few moments on how I'm feeling, almost Zen-like, and then I remind myself that I will be far more happier at the end of the day, if I don't give in and nibble. Or, if I MUST nibble, then I just take ONE piece of [insert nibble food] and put the rest out of sight for another day when the nibble hits again.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this posted twice, sorry... As Sherry Lynn says right next, I agree. Really taste what you are eating, and it will be more satisfying.
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Blueberries or grapes, eaten really slowly, one at a time.

Then come on here and log them as quickly as possible so that I don't overdo it.
  • hateras
    hateras Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Usually gets me late at night - when that happens I just go to bed and sleep through the urges!
  • jenricher
    Options

Then come on here and log them as quickly as possible so that I don't overdo it.

Bad Idea it will just make you crave other foods. Not hungry then dont eat. Tea is a good idea!
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options

Bad Idea it will just make you crave other foods. Not hungry then dont eat. Tea is a good idea!

I disagree. Trying to manhandle every urge becomes a compulsion and then you totally blow it and have a food orgy.

I think satisfying the urge in a controlled & healthy way is a very good idea.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    if i find myself nibbling uncontrollably then i just eat something. i would rather have a snack that satisfies me that is 100 calories or something than eat nibbles of a bunch of random stuff all day that ends up adding up to a ton of calories. sometimes it might mean im actually hungry and if i have the calories, then i just eat something. then i tell myself, you ate.. so you're fine. and i go do something.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. It's interesting to hear how each of us deal with the "nibbles". My bf works odd hours, so I'm often home alone and bored- that's my problem. Usually I go for a walk or run, but the weather hasn't been cooperating lately and I'm trying to keep my nibbling in check! :flowerforyou:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Add me! lol. My FB is in my profile.

Unfortunately, I tend to want to snack most when I am just screwing around on the internet. If I give in I try and keep it to the veggies or salads or something. Tonight it was peas. I tend to make sure I leave calories at night because I know I wll nibble while playing around on the comp in my nocturnalness.
  • SherryLynn82
    Options
    :smile:
  • SherryLynn82
    Options

I tried not eating anything when I was just getting a nibbly sweets craving. I just wanted really really bad for me foods even more. I have a killer sweet tooth, so if I satisfy it early with fruit it doesn't get anywhere near as bad later.