Low Calorie Chicken Divan - Must Try

Options
Hey y'all!

My friends and I in Palm Springs are doing a great job of gettting in shape in sunny Palm Springs. We get together every Tuesday to weigh in, have dinner, take "belly pictures" (uggg!!) and watch Biggest Loser. So far, I've lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks! We're going strong with lots of exercise at the gym and keeping track of everything here. Love this site!

Here's a recipe I made for our weekly dinner tonight. Super delicious!!! I found it on cooks.com and adjusted a few things myself. Huge hit! You'll love this - so tasty!

LOW CALORIE CHICKEN DIVAN

1 head fresh broccoli, steamed
3 c. chopped chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs.) - pan cooked with 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 c. (2 oz.) reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/4 c. skim milk
10 3/4 oz. can of 1/3 less salt cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. curry power
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. all purpose flour
3 tbsp. water
1/2 c. finely crushed melba toast rounds (or 1/4 c bread crumbs)
1 tbsp. melted butter

Layer broccoli, then chicken, then cheese in 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Add about 1/3 c water to the bottom of the pan.

Sauce: Combine milk, soup, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and curry in saucepan and stir well. Combine flour and water in a bowl; stir well. Then add to the soup mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens. When thickened and bubbly pour evenly over chicken.

Sprinkle toast crumbs mixed with butter over top. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 15 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Six servings. 296 calories per serving compared to 684 for traditional dinner.

Replies

• Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yay, thank you! Love, love, LOVE the veg in the bottom, what a great idea:happy:
    Let's just see my man try to get out of his veggies now :devil:
    I am always looking for dinner ideas
  • piperfiske
    Options
    Awesome! Try this with it - amazing combo, and I swear he won't know it's cauliflower. It's that classic Atkinsy recipe, but I tweaked it...

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

1 head of cauliflower
    6 Tbsp. Light Sour Cream
    2 Tbsp. Smart Balance (or margerine)
    1 tsp. garlic power
    1/4 c grated cheddar cheese

Boil the cauliflower until tender (approx 10 minutes). Then put it in a food processor on low with sour cream, garlic, and margerine....mix well. Load into a glass pie tin, or small dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

I estimated the calories for this, and it's about 300 for the entire dish! Wowzers! And soooo yummy! :-)
  • karensp
    karensp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ooooh well done you!!!! And thanks for a great recipe.. I am not so sure on what c stands for on your measurements. Just an English translation thing!!

Your evening with biggest loser night sounds good, we are out of season for biggest loser here, But when it was on, I absolutely loved it.. hope it is coming back on here soon...

:tongue:
  • greenerme
    Options
    yum. i am going to try this tonight with the girls!!! sounds great. Thanks!!!
  • biffy107
    Options
    Wow i cant weight to try your mash potato recipe.

The tuesday night biggest losser dinner sounds great!!

Thanks for the ideas
  • biffy107
    Options
    Wow i cant weight to try your mash potato recipe.

The tuesday night biggest losser dinner sounds great!!

Thanks for the ideas
  • rlshirk74
    Options
    Both recipes sound great. I have them printed off for one of next week's meals.! Thanks! :)
  • johnhedges1949
    Options
    Love it. Thanks for making it last night. John
  • piperfiske
    Options
    Bump
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Think i will try these... Thanks for the suggestions
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious but too long of prep and cook time for weekday meal. perhaps will try on the weekend. :)

Thanks
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

LOW CALORIE CHICKEN DIVAN

1 head fresh broccoli, steamed
    3 c. chopped chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs.) - pan cooked with 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    1/2 c. (2 oz.) reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 1/4 c. skim milk
    10 3/4 oz. can of 1/3 less salt cream of mushroom soup
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 Tbsp. curry power
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    3 tbsp. all purpose flour
    3 tbsp. water
    1/2 c. finely crushed melba toast rounds (or 1/4 c bread crumbs)
    1 tbsp. melted butter

Layer broccoli, then chicken, then cheese in 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Add about 1/3 c water to the bottom of the pan.

Sauce: Combine milk, soup, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and curry in saucepan and stir well. Combine flour and water in a bowl; stir well. Then add to the soup mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens. When thickened and bubbly pour evenly over chicken.

Sprinkle toast crumbs mixed with butter over top. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 15 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Six servings. 296 calories per serving compared to 684 for traditional dinner.

This sounds so good that we are having it for dinner tonight!
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    ooooh well done you!!!! And thanks for a great recipe.. I am not so sure on what c stands for on your measurements. Just an English translation thing!!

Your evening with biggest loser night sounds good, we are out of season for biggest loser here, But when it was on, I absolutely loved it.. hope it is coming back on here soon...

:tongue:

"c" usually stands for cup which is 8 ounces
  • piperfiske
    Options
    bump
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    I made this last week--everyone loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    looks delicious!
  • hcwhipple
    Options
    Sounds so good! Bump !
  • piperfiske