Under Armour: Are they worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live but it's been in the 80's here so we have no need for cold gear right now, yay!
    My husband, son and son-in-law all have cold gear and they love it. They wear it while hunting and have even complained that it keeps them too warm, and that's in -20 - -30 windchills . I plan on getting some myself for next winter.
    I have some of the all weather and some heat gear. I absolutely love, love the heat gear tshirt I bought. I love the heat gear 'spandex' type shorts and boy shorts. I HATE the all weather socks I bought because they are too tight and way too small and don't even feel soft. The package said they were for feet up to a size 9 and I only wear a 7. They don't even cover the back of my heel. So if you buys socks, try them on first! Otherwise, I think UA is totally worth it!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bought my teen daughter the Reebok brand, don't know how they are price comparison to Under Armor. I just remember they were on sale, so we bought one.

She was in a Christmas parade so she needed them. And they worked great.

I would say they are worth it depending on how long you need to be outside. If you don't have to walk in a parade, long johns might do. Also, I have heard that silk long underwear are very comfy and very warm.
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    i love Nike Dri Fit best!
  • ljpointg
    ljpointg Posts: 1
    Options
    My personal experience has been that I tend to get cold in the extremities if I am underweight or not getting the right nutrition. Certainly, this is something to talk to your physician about.

In regards to Under Armour, I find that while working out anything synthetic or polyester helps wick sweat. There are varying degrees of thickness for the different seasons. Working out outside in the winter is a challenge and proper gear is a necessity.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I have some of the C9 stuff from target and it works great. I am sure the UA stuff is great too. I have some UA stuff, but not the cold gear.

Best of luck!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    UA cold gear is pretty amazing. There are cheaper brands, but most of the time you pay for what you get. I'm a big fan of UA and Nike Dri Fit (especially the socks!)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    UA Heat Gear & Cold Gear are WELL worth the money.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I bought under armour cold gear a couple of years ago and was, frankly underwhelmed. (I love their heat gear) If you're feeling cold find a nice merino wool base layer (merino wool doesn't itch, is very light and is toasty warm) to wear like long underwear. I run outdoors all year 'round and when it's -35C I'm not cold (typically when it's that cold base layer & running tights on my legs, base layer, half zip top, fleece & a shell on my torso).
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Under Armour has quickly become one of my favorite brands for workout gear. I find it is slightly cheaper than some of the competitors (Nike, Reebok, Brooks, etc) but just as good if not better. I have a pair of cold gear tights that I prefer to any other pair of running tights I own and I prefer their shirts to other brands as well.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go for the C9 stuff from Target for sure.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds really silly, but I am married to a Norwegian who grew up in extreme cold. He told me that just putting on a clean pair of socks every few hours helps immensely. I think I threw my dirty ones at him the first time he said that. But it does help a lot.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health conditions. My doctor said I'm just more sensitive to cold now, since I'm losing bodyfat. I'm looking for lightweight clothes that will keep me warm.

Thanks. I will look up cuddle duds, lol. Interesting name. I hope kohls has their no minimum free shipping going on.

my doctor told me the same thing and he told me it could last for a couple years. *pulls out flannel sheets to use in the summer*
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So I should stock up on more socks as well? :laugh: I think I'll try that out for a week. Can never have enough socks anyway. I'm mostly cold indoors and adjust to outdoor weather fine enough. I guess it's the air conditioning and indoor insulation that I'm very sensitive to.

Hopefully, when I buy some lightweight clothing for cold weather, that should fix the problem. :drinker: If I see some Under Armour on sale again (missed the last one), I would definitely try the brand out. But for now, out of budget, and I'll be trying other brands first.
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I resisted buying quality workout gear for a long time. I bought one reebok shirt, and one nike pair of shorts AND I went and got tfitted for running shoes at a a store that specilaizes in runnig....I dont regret it for a second. Expensive yes but it really is just so much more comfortable working out in.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love UA's coldgear compression pants. It's almost like they're magical...they feel like one layer of fabric but one side is soft and warm (brushed, maybe?) and the other is smooth.

I paid $45 at a local UA outlet store but they retail for $50.

I wear regular shirts, not UA.

UA also makes great running socks. I think they're something like resistor training socks. Remember to get long socks for winter running.
  • Beckahecka
    Options
    Definitely worth it! I love Under Armour - everything is well built and works great in cold weather! :happy:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    UA stuff is great - I've never tried the Cold Gear.

Anything silk next to the skin with another layer over top will help. You might try motorcycle cold-weather apparel. You'll find a lot of stuff that's light weight and wicks moisture away from your skin. I have a pair of silk gloves I wear under my elk skin gloves and they do wonders.