When to start focusing on toning rather than Fat loss?

Options
Im new to MFP and during my weightloss journey, i have really just focused on fat loss. I had more than 10 to lose which i have done (yay!) but i have re-evaluated my goal and want to lose another 8-9kgs.

I am JUST outside of my healthy BMI. The number on the scales doesnt bother me. I like to see an increase in my fitness, and ive been focusing on running (i have a goal to run a half marathon) but im wondering when do you know its time to focus on toning?

I still have fat covering my muscles (eg in my tummy) so will toning define them more or do i need to lose that fat first?

Replies

• MCNWifey
    Options
    BUMP
  • kramalicious
    Options
    The sooner you start toning the better you will like your body, IMO. Congratulations on what you have done so far.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    They go hand in hand! :smile: Strength training/lifting weights will do both! You could easily alternate running days with weight lifting days and get some great results.

This thread is a great example - the poster is a great inspiration to me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Depends, what is toning? Is it removing fat to reveal muscles? When we diet we lose fat AND muscle. Strength training minimizes muscle loss as much as possible, so yeah, everyone should strength train while dieting from the start, but since you haven't been, start now. I'd recommend StrongLifts 5x5 if you have access to a gym.
  • tillbed
    Options
    They go hand in hand! :smile: Strength training/lifting weights will do both! You could easily alternate running days with weight lifting days and get some great results.

This thread is a great example - the poster is a great inspiration to me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

This is GREAT! thanks for posting this!!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I started strength training because I enjoy so much. I've got 18kg to go but you can definitely see the muscle definition even with the extra padding still there. Can't wait to lose more fat so my muscles are even more prominent. Start now!
  • tillbed
    Options
    Thanks guys,

i do lift SOMETIMES, but i was under the impression i should try and rid my body of the fat before i "focused" on lifting.
    I thought that i wouldnt really see a chance as such since if i built muscle it would be coverd by fat. If that makes sence?
  • tillbed
    Options
    I started strength training because I enjoy so much. I've got 18kg to go but you can definitely see the muscle definition even with the extra padding still there. Can't wait to lose more fat so my muscles are even more prominent. Start now!

Good on you! So you feel like you can see a change? As my post below states, i was confused if id see a change with the layer of fat! lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    First, stop using the word 'tone'. It doesn't mean what you think it does. (Tonus is the condition of a muscle being in a perpetual state of partial flex, basically.)

Second, start weight training immediately. Really, you should have been doing so from the beginning. Hypertrophy takes a VERY long time when compared to fat loss.
  • tillbed
    Options
    First, stop using the word 'tone'. It doesn't mean what you think it does. (Tonus is the condition of a muscle being in a perpetual state of partial flex, basically.)

Second, start weight training immediately. Really, you should have been doing so from the beginning. Hypertrophy takes a VERY long time when compared to fat loss.

Thanks for this. Although i might not use the correct terms i know what i mean by Toning up and its such a commly used term i use to so i can describe to other what i mean.

I do already lift too but thanks for your post
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. Although i might not use the correct terms i know what i mean by Toning up and its such a commly used term i use to so i can describe to other what i mean.

I do already lift too but thanks for your post

Fair enough. I am heavily biased against the use of the word in this sense, largely because it's an obnoxious buzzword that was popped out by middle-aged women bent on separating hopeful women from their hard earned money, using empty promises.

I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. (Get toned, not muscular or bulky, blah blah blah.). Myoplex (if I remember correctly) powder is a great example. Says some asinine crap on the front about getting toned. Look on the back, and the **** has nearly as much sugar in it as it does protein. I will never understand why women are the targets of such nutritional garbage, but they are, and many of them keep on buying in sadly.

Anyway..sorry for the rant. Lol.
  • kryslJackson
    Options
    Yes, like others have said. Start now. The sooner the better. Muscle mass is not easy to put on, especially being a female. It can take years of solid lifting to really give yourself the a fit look, if that's what you're going for. Women so many times over estimate the ease and amount of time to build muscle. Also, having increased muscle mass will increase your resting metabolic rate....Honestly, it's going to be hard to build significant muscle mass while training for a marathon, but you should be lifting in the meantime. Doing excessive cardio slows down muscle building.
  • tillbed
    Options
    Yes, like others have said. Start now. The sooner the better. Muscle mass is not easy to put on, especially being a female. It can take years of solid lifting to really give yourself the a fit look, if that's what you're going for. Women so many times over estimate the ease and amount of time to build muscle. Also, having increased muscle mass will increase your resting metabolic rate....Honestly, it's going to be hard to build significant muscle mass while training for a marathon, but you should be lifting in the meantime. Doing excessive cardio slows down muscle building.

Thanks for that! :)