I get so hungry before my period!

Options
2»

Replies

• deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for the past week and going over my calories shamelessly. I feel like a crazy person who is just out of control!! I also skipped my last period (no, I'm not pregnant), so I guess I'm making up for that?! GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! I hate being a woman sometimes.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the original poster! I get so insatiably hungry right before my period! I tend to have the best results from eating meat and carbs, but have wondered if I get so hungry because my body needs extra nutrients for what's coming. I think the post I quoted below indicates I may be right...phew! That means I can eat more as long as my body is telling me it's hungry (not just psychological cravings, but physical hunger).

Your metabolism increases during your luteal phase (from ovulation to menstruation). You don't just feel hungrier... you ARE hungrier. If you have a small deficit (1/2 - 1 lb / week) it MAY hinder your weightloss. I've recently been testing on myself and find that increasing my calories during this phase INCREASES my weightloss. YMMV.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&rlz=&q=luteal+phase+metabolism&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you sure you spelled the word starting with "h" you were trying to use correctly
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I drink twice as much water and twice as many servings of veggies :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I just had mine and usually i eat fiber bars for a healthy snack....
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    hey ladies,

check out this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8450-totm

for all your period woes!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am with you. All I crave before my period is comfort food, meat and potatoes. Especially now that it's getting colder. I'm going for a two hour walk tomorrow so that I can treat myself to a chili and baked potato at Wendys. :)
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    That's the one week a month I don't care. We deserve extra calories. :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, and I am so glad there are others that have the same trouble and can offer advice! My worst craving is for chocolate, and it's bad enough at the best of times, let alone at THAT time. I always give in. I have done really well the last couple of weeks, so this month things will be different. I am going to use some of the ideas on here and hope they work! Us women have such a challenge!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post! I'm not looking forward to this week...its my time :(
    I cramp so bad I might not exercise like I should. I'm taking some of the advice from here and stocking up on veggie portions.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't actually get hungry as such...but I di get really bad cravings, normally for chips etc :noway:

And I struggle to keep out of the kitchen and the shop :noway:
  • moominpoo
    moominpoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Drink loads of sparkling water.
  • wild_autumn_wind
    wild_autumn_wind Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals so that you have enough calories to bank for your ravenous snacks.
    Make sure your iron and magnesium consumption is relatively high so your body has adequate nutrients (and it'll narrow down the chocolate cravings).
    Eat plenty of fruit before the sugary cravings kick in!
    I've found that opting for healthy alternatives to my ravenous snacks helps a lot, like opt for dark chocolate or chocolate hazelnut milk, and veggie chips!
    And best of all don't be too harsh on yourself, your body burns 100-300 calories more in preparation for your menstrual cycle, so don't worry about going over too much.
    Let yourself have a treat, just no when to stop!
    Also, getting your exercise will not only provide you with more cals but it'll help with your cramps too.
    Water and pineapple can help with the bloating too!