Is my Dream Realistic??

Options
I am 49, Male. I am doing c25k. I am going to do Week 3 Day 1 today. I have a dream.

In this dream, I am running for one hr every alternate day (3 days a week), and I run 7 miles during that hour. Assuming there is no time constraint, is this dream realistic? Has anyone done it? Id like to reach it over the next 8 months. Is it possible?

I need some inspirational stories here. Not too confident.

Replies

• MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Is it realistic? Yes. Is it likely? It depends.

However, what I have to say, is that's a rather speedy pace. People generally manage 10k (6.2 miles) in just under an hour if that puts it in perspective for you. Carry on with your C25K, and evaluate your speed at the end of the program. Remember that 5k is around 3.1 miles- so you can work out your rough speed mileage from there.

I've just started really working at my longer distance and I run two long runs a week currently- one of around 7-8 miles up, and the other (at the moment) is a static 10k. I started on C25K much like you about six months ago now, and I currently run a 5k in just over 26 minutes and my fastest 10k time was 52 minutes to date. However, my 'average' pacing for a 10k is around the 55 minute mark, I managed it in 56 minutes last night.

Keep at it, and you'll get there! However, everyone runs at separate paces and I'd possibly aim to be just running the 7 miles for now without the timed element. No doubt you'll get there eventually, but get comfortable with the endurance aspect first without adding in speed: you need to learn to jog it before you can run it. :) Best of luck, stick with the program, I have to say it's one of the best things I've ever done!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bumping it up
  • fretless1965
    fretless1965 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a 47 year old male and had never run before last June. I had a friend of mine (he's a high school cross country coach) help me start running. I ran my first mile ever in June, ran my first 5k on July 19 (28:17) and my second 5k about three weeks ago (26:21). I run 2 - 4 miles twice during the week and 7 miles on Saturdays (slowly increasing the long run as prep for a half marathon in April). My best 7 mile time is currently 1:07, so I'm close to that hour mark.

I'm sure you can reach that goal. However, be sure to listen to your body. My cardio could run faster and farther than I do right now, but my legs cannot. Like it or not, we've been using our knees for almost fifty years, so some degree of caution is advisable. Be patient, and you'll get there.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yes! absolutely! I started out not being able to run a quarter mile in the summer of 2007 and then completed a full marathon (26.2 miles) the following spring. I ran the entire distance. I did not walk one step. You have to commit.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    An hour every other day? No problem. I did C25k then something called "one hour runner" for another 12 weeks after C25k. That meant my long run of the week was an hour, but it wasn't difficult to build up distance from there.

As to 7-8 miles in that hour, not sure. That is quite speedy for me. When I finished C25k and OHR my average speeds were 4-4.5 mph. Now I am slowly working my way up to 5mph (but at lower distances). So it really depends. You'll probably have a set natural "speed" once you finish C25k and start running more regularly. It looks like you would want to run a 7:30 - 8:30 minute mile. That's well within the realm of possibility. But don't be too hard on yourself if you're not that fast. I think a 10:00 minute mile is perfectly respectable and at the moment I'd be completely thrilled if I could just average a 12:00 minute mile. So do what you can but don't push yourself to injury. If you work on distance and endurance, speed will eventually happen. And if it's not there right away, that gives you something to work towards and strive for.