New Member - Thyroid Cancer - Thyroidectomy

Options
Hello Everyone! I am new here, looking to lose 40 pounds. Excited to get all this support from this community. I am fine now, but has anyone else had a total thyroidectomy? Would love to chat about the particular challenges associated with that. Thanks!

Replies

• gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    I had a thyroid ablation I wish they would have just taken it rather than done the radiation but they told
    me they didn't do that anymore so I went with the ablation.....
  • Kokomax
    Kokomax Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a pretty big tumor so they removed the entire thyroid, then I had the radiation also. I'm on replacement synthroid, I feel fine but think it's more difficult to lose/maintain weight.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    it does make it harder I have been on thyroid replacement since 2004 and now my new dr has put me on
    two different doseages of synthroid PLUS now i take citomel it never does level out its annoying
  • gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I also had my thyroid removed 4 yrs ago and had to go through cancer treatments. My doctor said if you are going get cancer Thyroid cancer is the best one to get! I gained about 30 lbs since the surgery and it is harder to loose the weight. This is my second time trying MFP. I rejoined the end of March and have lost 20 lbs so far( have a long road in front of me ). It can be done, but I know, it is so much harder. You can add me as a friend and we can encourage each other on this journey. Best of luck to you.
  • melzenitram
    melzenitram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i had the radiation and then the total thyroidectomy. that was...about five years ago. It's extremely slow progress with losing weight. I'd like to hear what everyone's carb-protein-fat ratios are set at
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I also had my thyroid removed 4 yrs ago and had to go through cancer treatments. My doctor said if you are going get cancer Thyroid cancer is the best one to get! I gained about 30 lbs since the surgery and it is harder to loose the weight. This is my second time trying MFP. I rejoined the end of March and have lost 20 lbs so far( have a long road in front of me ). It can be done, but I know, it is so much harder. You can add me as a friend and we can encourage each other on this journey. Best of luck to you.

I'm glad you had a relatively positive outcome of thyroid cancer.. but i wouldn't say it's the best one to get. My grandfather died 3 years ago of thyroid cancer.. 3 weeks from the day he was diagnosed. It came out of nowhere and progressed so quickly there was nothing that could be done.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I'm glad you had a relatively positive outcome of thyroid cancer.. but i wouldn't say it's the best one to get. My grandfather died 3 years ago of thyroid cancer.. 3 weeks from the day he was diagnosed. It came out of nowhere and progressed so quickly there was nothing that could be done.
    It totally depends on the type. Papillary thyroid cancer is the easiest to treat. There is one type that is mainly seen in older men that is really aggresive! I'm so sorry!
  • Bethy7793
    Options
    The one that i was dianosed with was papillary thyroid carcinoma. They took out my whole thyroid and most of my lymph nodes. They can be pretty slow about catching it, t took them 2 years to figure out that thats what I had.
    As far as losing weight goes, its not hard if your dose is correct :).
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for continuing good health to all of you ladies. It sounds like you may have some extra challenges with losing weight--but just hang in there. As long as the scale goes down, no matter how slow, its a good thing!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks post RAI treatment for the second time. Since first diagnosed 26 months ago with hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease I've dropped to 130 pounds, gained to 198 pounds and now I'm slowly dropping again. Metabolism that goes from fast to stop and everything in between does make it a challenge to lose let alone maintain a healthy weight and life. I've had cardiac issues, digestion troubles and mood swings to beat the band. Should this RAI treatment not work I face having my thyroid removed.

I'm following a low carb plan and o far it's working better for me.
  • sophiedb
    Options
    hi all, it's an oldish thread but I thought I should come say hi :) Another thyca survivor here - papillary carcinoma of the throid, as my oncologist put it. I had a total thyroidectomy in 2007 followed by 2 rounds of RAI in 2008. I've always been a shocker for trying to lose weight, so I can't honestly say whether it's harder now. I'm on 150mcg levothyroxine a day. So far I'm just trying to keep on top of the calories rather than following a particular plan..
  • andibswanson
    andibswanson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am new here, looking to lose 40 pounds. Excited to get all this support from this community. I am fine now, but has anyone else had a total thyroidectomy? Would love to chat about the particular challenges associated with that. Thanks!

I am a Thyroid Cancer Survivor and have been now for 23 years. I was 22 with my first diagnosis. I had a total Thyroidectomy with a modified neck disection as the cancer had spread in to my lymph nodes and it also spread in to my parathyroid which controls calcium. I also had 2 reoccurances after that but today am fine and dandy. I gained well over 120 lbs with my cancer and used the No Thyroid as a crutch. I have now lost 93 lbs and continue to feel amazing. Just know that losing weight without a thyroid is totally obtainable. You Can Do It!!! Congratulations on overcomiing cancer!!!

Feel Free to add me if you wish!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I just had my thyroidectomy for treatment of uncontrollable graves disease.

From reading other people's experiences here and elsewhere it sounds like getting the right meds, and keeping the weight off, are super challenging (especially right after surgery).

A huge part of that is ensuring you get both your free T3 and free T4 checked regularly - sounds like in the US a lot of doctors just want to test total T3 (vs. free T3, which is the amount available for your body to use). I've heard a lot of people having great success after getting their T3 sorted properly!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I had my entire Thyroid removed in 2005. Also part of the Parathyroid and some lymph nodes. Had the Papillary/Follicular kind. It spread to lungs and behind chest wall. Finally in 2007 it was in remission (my doctor said the cancer cells are dormant or went to sleep).

As for gaining weight, I've struggled with it for a good part of my life, but I can't for sure say it was my thyroid. I think just life circumstances. But then again, the doctor said the cancer was growing for 10 years before we discovered it, so it's quite possible the weight gain had something to do with my thyroid not working properly. Who knows...

There are 'minor' inconveniences I've had to deal with since having my thyroid out, such as: dry skin (have to use lotion now a lot), drier hair & it falls out more, forgetfulness, and others. However, it's better than having to deal with or die from cancer!!! :)

Best of luck to those who are currently going through treatment or will be going through surgery & treatment!!!