Pregnant ladies jum in!

Options
I found out I am pregnant 4 days ago, and I dont want to gain as much as I did with my son. I gained with my son 20 kilos!
Anyway, I had planned to get pregnant at a lesser weight that what I am now, but since it just happened, it is fine. I weight now the same as I did with my son. Only difference is that I reject, I REJECT, to gain 20 kilos again.

Before finding out I was preg, I was walking and doing elliptical 4-5 times a week. I will keep doing so but will just walk. no elliptical. As for my food intake I will eat clean. Does that sound bad?

If you are pregnant, tell us what do you plan to do too.

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Hopefully you have a great dr that will work with you. One of my other MFP friends is pregnant and her dr told her to keep exercising as she has been doing it. You need to work with your doctor. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Keep exercising, but do look at changing your daily calories goal. You should be on a maintenance amount rather than a weight loosing amount.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Yes i agree with kymarai, you need to discuss it with your doctor. Id keep doing the walkng though, thats always good anyways. Just keep active like that. Swimming is also brilliant if you can go. I bet your so excited!! I am trying to also get to my goal weight and then i want another baby. I gained about 20lb through pregnancy so i know how hard it is. You look after yourself, and a huge congrats again!! xx
  • puellakas
    puellakas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats! With my first baby I gained 8kg and at the end of pregnancy I walked 10 000-20 000 steps per day. (Eating basically still everything), with my second baby I only gained 5kg, but I didn't walk as much, just ate normally (no over eating, as it, in my opinion makes baby big as well). So good luck! I'm proof, that you can minimize your weight gaining during pregnancy as well. (BTW, after second child I immediately lost 8kg after coming out of hospital and alltogether now I have lost -18kg, but I still need to lose -7 to be in my ideal shape. That said, I was overweight already when I got pregnant with my first child and that was the main reason I set the goal for myself to walk every day 10 000 steps minimum and not gain over 10kg).

Good luck once again:)!
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to maintenance and remember you're not eating for 2, you're eating for (at the very most!) 1.2

Women only gain too much weight when pregnant when they fall in to the 'eating for 2' trap. My wife did with our first but not with our second and the difference was dramatic
  • Dr_sparky
    Dr_sparky Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to maintenance and remember you're not eating for 2, you're eating for (at the very most!) 1.2

Women only gain too much weight when pregnant when they fall in to the 'eating for 2' trap. My wife did with our first but not with our second and the difference was dramatic

Is there any medical evidence to say what you should be eating (e.g. 1.2 * Maintenance). There seems to be a lot of confusion within my group of friends. Some have said eat what you crave, but I crave plenty of junk food and I'm not even pregnant.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is an OB. Her advice to me when I was pregnant - keep doing what your doing. So why would you quit the elliptical?
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm 30 weeks pregnant...prior to getting pregnant, I had lost 80 pounds. I hit the ground running, but fizzled out quickly. I've gained back about 18, but refocusing so that I can end the pregnancy healthier. I changed my calorie settings to maintenence like some of the others mentioned....as far as exercise, consult with your doctor for sure. Most say if you've been doing a certain exercise for a while, it's okay to continue. But, there are certain things that aren't good for you and baby, so check with the doctor :) Best wishes!!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant too if you want to buddy up. I still exercise and log the foods I eat. I'm only trying to gain 3.5kg max!!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Same for me! I juste learned the good news this weekend! I'm thrilled but scared of gaining weight. I'm already 60 lbs over my healthy weight... I think I'm going to increase the number of snacks I take and focus on yogurt, fruits and the likes.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just found out yesterday and am also curious as to what people are setting their goals to. I will definitely switch to maintenance though. I still had about 19lbs to get to my goal weight, but I figure if I keep eating healthy and exercising regularly the impact will hopefully be minimal! I am TERRIFIED to gain a bunch of weight, it's taken me 10 months to lose 25 lbs and I don't want to have to start all over again.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • foreverloved2005
    foreverloved2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just finished losing MOST of my baby weight from my last baby, and just found out that I'm pregnant again! 8 weeks right now. I don't want to loose the edge I've gained by losing weight and getting stronger, but this first trimester is killing my energy. I would love to friend other pregnant ladies out there to stay accountable to not "take it easy" and "eat for two", but to stay fit and healthy the whole way through.
  • tseabee
    tseabee Posts: 22
    Options
    Congrats! I am 9 wks pregnant and since I was very close to my goal from losing the weight from my last baby I know exactly how you feel!!! I have made a promise to myself not to get into that "eat for two" mind frame or where I didn't care how much I ate with my other pregnancies because I felt I had the perfect excuse not to watch what I ate. My goal is to eat a healthy diet with lean proteins, and lots of fruits and veggies and to stay away from the carbs (the bad ones!!). I am determined not to gain as much this time!! We can do it! :)
  • Loaa
    Loaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im also 8 weeks and I would love some friends to keep up with.
    My energy dropped big time in the last 3 weeks so I have not been to the gym in that time. Im hoping it will get better. I lost 7 kg this summer and still have a lot to go. I don´t want to gain much this pregnancy, this is my third, I didnt gain much in the other two but I gained a lot after :/ . I have mostly been bummed out that I have not been able to work out and not eating right. Plus my belly really came out and I feel like Ive gained the 7 kg I lost this summer.
    I have gained 1 kg.
    If anyone wants to add me feel free I would love more MFP friends for support :)

Good luck everyone :)