Boxing - my poor hands! Help?

Options
So my usual combat class was swapped for boxing today. Was great fun... until I finished!

Now 12 hours on, my hands and wrists are ruined. I have no strength in my little finger or ring fingers, can't grip, can't write, and have crazy shaking going on even trying to type! What have I done? Any tips?

I know I'm not used to boxing, but I am used to exercise so I guess it must be the impact. But even then, what can I do to rectify this? I can barely use a fork!

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you didnt have your hands in wraps and gloves? If you cant move your little finger you may have 'boxers knuckle' its a common knuckle fracture if your fist doesnt impact the target correctly. If its affecting your work then you need to go to the doctors and get an XRAY. Nothing more you can do except cold compresses.
  • Zamba74
    Zamba74 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Very important to wrap your hands when you box or do Muay Thai. You may also want to ice it.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cold Compresses. Rest. Maybe sports-tape to fix it. And if its not over in about 3 days, maybe go to a doctor.

Btw. .... you should wrap your hand if you are not into fist fighting for a long time ;)
    But sounds like a cool workout ;)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Didn't wrap my hands, we used the gloves and focus pads provided by the instructor.

I'm not in any pain - it's weird.... like I have no motor control over those fingers. And kinda feels numb in my wrist. I can only describe it as what I imagine it would be like to have paralysed hands! Sounds odd I know, but the lack of movement/ feeling/ strength is not accompanied by pain
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Everyone above who told you to "wrap your hands" is absolutely, utterly and totally wrong.

What you are likely experiencing is what we call "Noobie Knuckles." Your hands and joints are swollen, because you haven't built-up a tolerance to that type abuse. You will.

The key is practice, not "wraps." As your bones, joints and tissue heal, they'll get stronger. You need to rest them as much as possible for 3-4 days. Then do it again. And repeat.

Soon you'll be sticking your fists through cinder blocks.

If the pain and swelling persists unchanged for more than 3-4 days, see a doctor. Something may actually be fractured or seriously injured.

Welcome to the wonderful world of combative martial arts.

I am:
    - A 24 year martial artist
    - A DOD certified force-on-force combatives and firearms instructor for military, law enforcement and private security firms
    - A 5th Deg Black in Tae Kwon, Black in Judo, Black in Jiu Jitsu & E1 in Krav Maga
    - A certified Rape Aggression Defense Instructor
    - An attorney
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    Indeed - it's about bone hardening and conditioning. Very similar to prepping your feet to dance en pointe in ballet. I've been doing krav maga for 8 years, and it took some time to get my hands conditioned. You might alternate wrapping one day, no wraps the next two, just to help your hands stay usable while they condition.

Also, try palm strikes. I love doing a heavy bag work out only using palm strikes and elbows!
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga is simply the dominant CMA. Those crazy Israelis know what they're doin'.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Loose fist, broken wrist.

And wrap those hands!

What you are describing is typical of punching limp-wristed, or hitting the wrong part of your hand. You first and forearm should be as one, and you should aim to strike with your first knuckles.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Everyone above who told you to "wrap your hands" is absolutely, utterly and totally wrong.

What you are likely experiencing is what we call "Noobie Knuckles." Your hands and joints are swollen, because you haven't built-up a tolerance to that type abuse. You will.

The key is practice, not "wraps." As your bones, joints and tissue heal, they'll get stronger. You need to rest them as much as possible for 3-4 days. Then do it again. And repeat.

Soon you'll be sticking your fists through cinder blocks.

If the pain and swelling persists unchanged for more than 3-4 days, see a doctor. Something may actually be fractured or seriously injured.

Welcome to the wonderful world of combative martial arts.

I am:
    - A 24 year martial artist
    - A DOD certified force-on-force combatives and firearms instructor for military, law enforcement and private security firms
    - A 5th Deg Black in Tae Kwon, Black in Judo, Black in Jiu Jitsu & E1 in Krav Maga
    - A certified Rape Aggression Defense Instructor
    - An attorney
    THIS.

What likely happened is that your wrists are swollen enough to put some pressure on the nerves that run through the carpal tunnel. RICE can help. (rest ice compression elevation)
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wrap them, first thing you learn in any real boxing gym is to wrap your hands. I've trained with Mickey Ward's trainer Arthur Ramalho, and the only Latino Heavyweight champion John Ruiz, first lesson from both, how to wrap your hands.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    So how do I wrap my hands??
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    Get the Mexican style wraps, 180". Start at the wrist, keep wrapping. Lace the fingers, focus the wrapping on your pain areas. Plenty of you tube videos that demonstrate techniques.

Honestly, though, proper form when punching will do more for you than any amount of padding.
  • mrvipulnair
    mrvipulnair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hey, i started boxing today..
    was doing it without gloves
    now i'm not able to lift little and ring finger.
    i feel the weird, they are not in my control.
    can anybody suggest me what must i do ?
    i did icing once.
    there is no pain. but feels weird.
    tell me what must i do to heal them...n how many days would it take to get them back like normal.
    is this anything serious ?
    i mean any serious injury ?
    please reply asap