Feeling guilty

Options
I am so used to only eating 700 - 800 calories a day and since I've joined MFP, I've been working hard to have at least 1200 a day, which I've only met 2 or 3 times. . I never eat back my exercise calories... but even so, I feel like I am going to gain so much weight eating 1200 a day. Is this fear rational? I mean, when I saw my calorie total for today, it was 1276...and I about freaked out. I burned 580 from exercise, so really my total is around 700 after working out.

Is my mindset messed up for thinking that 1200 is too much? Everything I ate was healthy/low fat/lean...so why am I so worried?

GRRR...very confused here!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Most of our BMR is from brain activity and it's pretty rare to have so little brain activity that it wouldn't burn at least 1200 calories. :happy: That's why most people's BMR doesn't go below 1200, even little old ladies like me. :laugh:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories a day forces your body to go into starvation mode which is VERY dangerous. When your body goes into starvation mode, you actually start to metabolize the proteins in your muscle first. A doctor recently told me that the first muscle to get attacked is the heart and that forcing your body into starvation mode for an extended period will shorten your life expectancy. I have been working with a trainer and have lost 37 pounds with him. At one point he had me eating 900 calories a day during which time I was also buring about 500 calories a day at the gym. I wasn't losing weight at all. After getting some advice from MFP members, I bumped it up to 1200 a day and started eating those exercise calories. Not only did I start losing weight, I have a hard time gaining now. I have days where I eat pizza, go over my calories, have a burger and I wake up the next morning - or 2 days later, and I don't gain weight any more.

As someone that has struggled with weight for a while now, that's INCREDIBLE!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    No no no no.. 1200 cals can be alot of food, sometimes. But maybe if you add milk to your diet or try eating peanut butter or nuts. They pack a lot of punch with just a lil, so you don't feel like you're having to gorge out. There are ways that you can add those cals to your diet, fruit, nuts, start using mayo.. You can think of something! Have a couple hershey's kisses or something ;):flowerforyou:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    A lot of people find that they can't lose weight because they don't eat enough... and the last thing someone who's insecure about their weight wants to try is to eat more. So yes, the fear is completely rational. Eat more than 1200 cals + at least half your exercise cals for 2 weeks and see how you feel & where the scale goes. Reassess your position after that!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid your heart will suffer if you don't nourish your body enough, Don't be scared. You are working out the food anyway, so just take it easy, okay?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I have found that when I eat too little, the scale really doesn't move at all. I thought it was because I was STILL eating too much at 700 calories a day....100 after workouts. I guess my problem was not eating enough. I don't even like getting on the scale when I go above 1000 a day...but I will take this advice and shoot for 1200 and see where it takes me :)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Many people smarter than I have researched and posted on this very topic. First places to check are the stickied topics on the General Diet board. Here are links to a couple of the ones I like. (They also have links to others.) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Hope they help!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I have found that when I eat too little, the scale really doesn't move at all. I thought it was because I was STILL eating too much at 700 calories a day....100 after workouts. I guess my problem was not eating enough. I don't even like getting on the scale when I go above 1000 a day...but I will take this advice and shoot for 1200 and see where it takes me :)

It's hard when you're used to eating a certain amount of calories, to change that. Take these steps a little at a time, if you're used to eating 700, then for a few weeks, eat 800 then for a few weeks eat 900. You're right also in the sense that because your metabolism is a little slower right now to just throw an extra 400 calories in there. It takes time for our bodies to adjust. I highly suggest doing it slowly. Make this a positive increase for you. You can do this, give it time and patience and you will be there.
  • FightingFit
    Options
    If you don't eat enough your body goes into 'starvation mode' (as mentioned above) which actually slows your metabolism down, and your body holds on to the fat cells to protect it.

I find that snacking constantly keeps my metabolism up, and I try doing it with things high in fibre (to keep your digestive sytem going), or protein (for lean muscle tissue). I understand your fears, but I have had much better results with eating the right amount of calories. Just fill your body up with the right calories!
  • gman2112
    Options
    I will tell you first hand experience.
    Since 01 Jan I have been counducting an expierement. In Jan I ate less than 1500 cals a day and worked out (ride my bike to and from work, then walk at night) burning at least 800 cals (using a HRM). The scale did not move the way I thought it would...it went up!!!!!! I gained 2.5lbs in Jan.
    Feb 01 I started eating 1600 - 2000 calories and guess what....I have lost the 2.5 plus 2lbs more. If I'm lyin I'm dyin!!!
    I am a 43yo M tippin the scale at 245. Started last March at 265. Lost and kept off 20lbs.
    Eat, Eat, Eat....but eat the right stuff!!!! Don't think I have 500 calories to go...I'll eat this chocolate cake...that won't work!!!! You gotta eat the right stuff...a little sweet indulgence won't kill you...once or twice a week...but dont go overboard!!!
    It is hard but once your body get the picture it will turn into a fat burning machine!!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. In studies of starvation, where they had guys in a compound so they could control what they ate and how much they worked out, the people in them continued to lose weight right to the bitter end even though their metabolism slowed down as much as 40%.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not too much- it's barely enough most of the time. You can't feel guilty for feeding your body.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. In studies of starvation, where they had guys in a compound so they could control what they ate and how much they worked out, the people in them continued to lose weight right to the bitter end even though their metabolism slowed down as much as 40%.

And I bet they were super healthy in the end too, right?
    __

A body may adjust and lower metabolism to make up for the lack of calories- that's your body trying to survive, but that doesn't mean it's a healthy way of doing things. There's more at stake than just weight loss. Who wants to end up a skinny, sickly person with thinning hair and no energy?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Starvation mode may be a myth but it's impossible to get all of your nutrition in less than 1200 cals a day. I wouldn't suggest being too restrictive with your diet because you may just go on the mother of all binges when your body decides you haven't been feeding it enough. If you can't eat that way for the rest of your life, don't do it. You'll just gain it all back plus some when you decide you're not dieting anymore.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I think this is the best post to explain this situation.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Here's another post that has good information, and it's put into language that's easy to understand!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss
  • MacMadame
    Options
    but that doesn't mean it's a healthy way of doing things.
    I didn't say it was healthy.

My point is, if people eating a starvation diet still lose weight all through the process, then telling someone who is eating 1500 calorie a day that they are going to go into "starvation mode" and "not lose weight" is not supported by clinical evidence.

Heck, I've seen people on MFP tell someone who was eating 2000 calories a day and was not exercising excessively that they must be in starvation mode and that's why they weren't losing weight. That's just ridiculous.

It's also not true that it's impossible to get all your nutrients with less than 1200 calories a day. It's difficult, but it can be done. However, it needs to be done under a doctor's supervision so that someone is monitoring you for possible malnutrition issues. Optifast and Medifast are two doctor supervised programs that have people on 800 calories a day, for example.

Here is my response to starvation mode threads:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
  • FightingFit
    Options
    Looks like all these differing (but good) points of view may say that 'Starvation Mode' is a theory, rather than a fact or myth.

I just know from my experience that eating a decent amount of good, healthy, whole foods has helped my metabolism & digestive system more than I could imagine.

Very interesting to see all perspectives on this.