Shirataki Noodles have arrived - Ideas?

Options
Soooo they've arrived finally! I haven't ever tried them before and am hoping to use them to replace pasta - Which pasta sauces (homemade or shop bought) do you recommend to make them taste nice and keep them healthy?

Thank you :-)

Replies

• rootbag
    rootbag Posts: 11
    Options
    make sure you wash them then drain them on kitchen paper. they sure do smell!
    we use them to add to stir-frys and the likes - basically they'll just take on the taste of whatever they're cooked in so helps to bulk your meals out with limited calories!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    make sure you wash them then drain them on kitchen paper. they sure do smell!
    we use them to add to stir-frys and the likes - basically they'll just take on the taste of whatever they're cooked in so helps to bulk your meals out with limited calories!

Agreed!! You have to rinse them a LOT, but its worth it. I've had them with my favorite jar sauce, and fix like a normal dish of pasta. Mostly I love stir fying fresh veggies in my favorite sauces (General Tso's, sesame ginger, etc) and just add the noodles at the end long enough to heat them. for a quicker meal, I found some great canned mixed chinese veggies, each can contains a little bit of each: baby corn, sprouts, shoots, water chestnuts, and then I'll open a can of mushrooms. Rinse well and toss with noodles and sauce and dinner is ready in 5 minutes!

I hear they make come out (or have) with elbow type noodles. I hope so! would love to ty mac and cheese with these!

Do whatever you do with spaghetti pasta and enjoy!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I made a Lo Mein the other day that was amazing. Tons of fresh veg. A low sodium soy sauce. A little bit of sesame oil to give it a nutty flavor. So good.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time. I would'nt use them as a pasta substitute (personally) as they don't really have a pasta like texture and in my opinion are much more suited to asian dishes as they resemble rice noodles in appearance & texture.

I use in stir fry's, asian broths & soups (like Pho and ramen soup noodles) and asian salads.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty with them. It works for a fettucini/spaghetti replacement. Homemade marinara and turkey meatballs. It holds up to light stir fry if you want to do a lo mein. Did more cold pasta salads this past summer with it as well. Delicious, quick, easy, and low cal.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor - keep it fresh if you are working with recipes... those noodles are like sponges, they absorb flavors from everything!!! If you have a sensitive palate like I do, those jarred sauce preservatives will come through more and its nasty. Personally I would recommend making homemade marinara...

I use them for Pho (Vietnamese Soup)

Brocolli-mushroom alfredo side dish with shirataki

Holds up WONDERFULLY with a homemade paprikash sauce

I love homemade marinara on top of the 'macaroni' shaped variety.. I feel like I am having Beefaroni (but homemade) lol!
  • pippa890
    Options
    Thanks :) I'm so excited to try them. A bit apprehensive about the smell - everyone seems to say it's pretty bad! Haha.
    If I like these it will be amazing. I have pasta/noodles every night and this will make it so much easier to lose weight!
  • redtwiglet
    Options
    Macaroni! 1 bag of noodles; 1 wedge laughing cow swiss; 2 T reduced fat parmesan; salt and pepper. Wash noodles thoroughly. Microwave noodles only for 1 minute on high. Use a paper towel to soak up some of the water. Add laughing cow in small pieces and add parmesan. Stir. Microwave for another minute on high. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like adding chicken to it. But it's really filling and low in calories.
  • Westbury84
    Westbury84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried them last night for the first time. I put the, in the microwave for 1 minute and dried them per the instructions and they didnt seem to have any smell. Boling them on the other hand seems to produce the smell
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yup. Rinse them. They STINK. But the stink goes away. :)

Either microwave the rinsed, drained noodles or pan fry the rinsed, drained noodles.

- Noodles + Laughing Cow garlic and herb wedge + a little Sazon, or whatever spice you prefer.

- Noodles + Taste of Thai Pad Thai sauce + Steamed veggies

- Noodles + Sauce + parmesan cheese

- Noodles + Trader Joe's Curry Sauce + steamed veggies
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have tried them several times. Each time rinsing the crap out of them suckers and I just can't handle the texture. To me....it was disgusting.

I prefer Spaghetti Squash. :D
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Every bag I've ever worked with has a smell, but it isn't anything ridiculously pronounced. Nothing that following the instructions doesn't fix. Rinse them as it states and roll with it.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tried them and did NOT like them. They were obviously not real noodles. The texture is chewy yet has a bit of a crunch. Its hard to describe. But the smell was ungodly. I will stick to high fiber noodles and limit the portion. Best of luck- hope they work for you!
  • laurabossart
    laurabossart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've tried them stir-fried, and with spaghetti or cheese sauces and they take a little getting used to, but are tolerable. My favorite way is to make really spicy hot Asian soups, the clear spaghetti shirataki noodles seem perfect for it. I copied a dish from my favorite Thai restaurant that uses the clear rice noodles. I also use the flat wide noodles for beef noodle soup, it works for me. But not for my husband. He can't get past the texture. I just concentrate on the added ingredients more.

One important note is NOT to FREEZE them, even after prepared. I made a batch of soup and froze some containers, the noodles became shrunken rubberbands!
  • dlavato
    dlavato Posts: 22
    Options
    Hungry girl has a ton of recipes for these kinds of noodles if you are interested in buying her cookbook or you can always look at her website online www.hungrygirl.com. She uses them in many different ways.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I mixed them with pesto, cherry tomatoes and fresh buffalo mozzerella which tasted okay but, to be honest, I thought they were a little gross.
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just ate these noodles last week for my first tofu experience & I have to admit, the smell made me a bit apprehensive. I followed the directions on the package & by the time I was ready to eat them, I didn't notice the smell anymore. I used them in the Hungry Girl recipe for Fettucine Alfredo; super easy, very good, & only 81 calories! I'm definitely going to buy them again...I currently have a bag of the spaghetti noodles sitting in my fridge, so I'll be experimenting with a few of the suggestions previously made in the post. Thanks for posting! :)
  • AvaMims
    AvaMims Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sounds worth a try,where did you find these?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Sounds worth a try,where did you find these?
    They have these at most grocery stores. I know here in NC, I've picked them up both at Lowes (near their organic produce / soy) and at Whole Foods.