Weight loss is not always linear

Options
I am a good case in point. I set my goal at 2 lbs a week because I have well over 100 lbs to lose. My first three weeks I lost about 4 lbs a week then I lost nothing for three weeks. then I dropped another 4+ pounds in that next week. Then It took two weeks to lose one measly pound. Then boom week nine I lost 4.7 pounds.

Well I did the math and guess what my average weight loss for the full nine weeks was..... 2 pounds a week.

So those of you who get discouraged when the scale doesn't move , take heart reassess make sure your doing what your supposed to, I.e. weighing and logging every thing, and if you are be patient. As long as you aren't gaining give it a few weeks before freaking out and changing every thing, some times our bodies just need time to catch up!

Wishing you all success!

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I am seeing a lot of posts about plateaus today and really think it is relevant .
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I am seeing a lot of posts about plateaus today and really think it is relevant .

Agreed.
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Very true! Just when we think we have the human body figured out, it tricks us! I've always had the mindset to eat healthy and the weightloss will follow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yep. My first 6 months here, I sometimes lost two pounds, sometimes none, sometimes the number on the scale would increase, sometimes a half a pound, sometimes it a pound... but overall, it averaged to one pound a week.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, my weight has gone down, gone back up, stayed the same but it does still average just under 1lb per week loss. which is marvelous.
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    needed this post...been getting discouraged. My weight loss has slowed down in the last few weeks to about half a pound when I had been losing 1 pound a week pretty consistently. The half a pound was discouraging me until I read this post and that others have had ups and downs with the scale.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that info :)
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been back on here since the 1st of October......first week I lost 7lbs.....this week nothing! Not a single oz.

I wouldn't mind if I only had a little bit to go but I've got 120lbs to shed!!!!!!

Sulking for the next 24hrs.
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a good case in point. I set my goal at 2 lbs a week because I have well over 100 lbs to lose. My first three weeks I lost about 4 lbs a week then I lost nothing for three weeks. then I dropped another 4+ pounds in that next week. Then It took two weeks to lose one measly pound. Then boom week nine I lost 4.7 pounds.

Well I did the math and guess what my average weight loss for the full nine weeks was..... 2 pounds a week.

So those of you who get discouraged when the scale doesn't move , take heart reassess make sure your doing what your supposed to, I.e. weighing and logging every thing, and if you are be patient. As long as you aren't gaining give it a few weeks before freaking out and changing every thing, some times our bodies just need time to catch up

Wishing you all success!

--What good advice you give us all.
    It's so true for me at least, the scales would move ever so slightly for so long, that the temptation of giving up because almost too good to ignore... However, I did ignore the temptation and stuck to my guns.

I've only really lost about 7.5 kilos or 17 pounds, but it appears that that's been enough for people to start to notice, and give me some positive and encouraging feedback.

Thanks again for your above advice.
    Some times our bodies really do need time to re-adjust and catch up :-)
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

So those of you who get discouraged when the scale doesn't move , take heart reassess make sure your doing what your supposed to, I.e. weighing and logging every thing, and if you are be patient. As long as you aren't gaining give it a few weeks before freaking out and changing every thing, some times our bodies just need time to catch up!

Wishing you all success!

^^THIS
    This is y life since I started in May. I am averaging about 8-10lbs/mo WE'll see what happens come October 20 :)