crazy heart rate monitor readings

Options
Just got a HRM and used it on a run today and had crazy high readings. Like 182 and said my average was 159. I'm 41 so 100% is 179. I'm new to running and in training and was pushing myself today, but really?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When I run and really push myself I usually get up in the 180s. However I am only 21 so I guess that is more normal for me. If you are concerned consult your doctor!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You'd be amazed. Mine stays in the 185+ range (up to 194 at spikes) when I am hitting cardio hard. I thought the monitors were wrong, so I tried several, all giving the same reading. Then again, I also weigh 227, so I am sure that's helping to work the hell out of my heart. ^_^
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Try wearing it resting and see what average HR is. If it jumps around (like 40,70,110, like that ) you need to see Dr. Otherwise I wouldn't let my HR go like above 160. 150 and above is SVT. I would walk till HR dropped then start running again. If it persists then you need to see doctor.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/pulsethr.aspx

about 1/2 way down the page is a chart that give HR zones by age....I would keel over if mine ever got as high as yours did
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    yeah im always 185-192 doing intense cardio or running. im 24 though 5'3 and 110
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Mine registers 180+ when it's not sitting right, or if the battery is getting weak - do a manual count if it seems totally whacked-out.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Realize that what you are saying is 100% is an average and doesn't mean it is 100% for you. You need to figure out what is healthy for you. If at that heart rate you are feeling light headed or like you are going to pass out then it may be too high for you. If you felt fine then I wouldn't worry so much. Also, since it said your average was lower then it may have been you hit that high amount for a very short period of time. Listen to your body to figure out what is healthy for you, averages can only give you a general idea of where you should be.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a heart rate in the high range - I hit 200 in a dance class last thursday!!! I have to monitor myself to keep it under 180. I consulted a cardiologist about this and, after many many tests that determined that my heart is healthy, he said to try to keep it under 180 and to watch if I began to feel faint while working work. He said my greatest risk would be passing out. So far, never even gotten close to that. I guess we're all different.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and a little under 160 pounds. Two minutes of jogging can put my heart rate into the 170s, and all out running puts me into the 180s. Hasn't killed me yet. When I slow down to a walk again my heart rate drops pretty quickly back into the 130s/140s.

I didn't exercise much at all over the Summer, so I'm very out of shape and my allergies/asthma have me wheezing along like a dying cow, but no chest pain, tingling, or other weirdness going on.

It never, ever hurts to ask your doctor, though.
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and my HR always hits 180 when I run. I make sure to stay on the treadmill until I hit the 125-130's during cool down.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It can be dangerous to be in that heart rate zone for extended periods of time. You're also burning carbs instead of fat.

Best to stay within 65%-85% of your maximum heart rate for better cardiovascular health. Over time, your pace will increase while your heart rate stays low. Ever see those middle distance runners in the Olympics? They run effortlessly, heart rate is probably below 170, and their pace is blazing fast!

Keep the HR low, get the pace up, and then start doing speed workouts and HIIT.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My RHR is around 60. When I'm running, and pushing myself, I can easily get it to 190-200, and maintain that rate for a long time. I am 36, it is too high. Turns out, it's a symptom of Lyme disease. I'm getting treated now, and hoping to have better readings soon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The HRmax estimate is just that, and for women, you have a better chance of being more than 10 bpm outside that calculation than in it.

So you may have a genetic Honda heart, or diesel heart, fast and light or slow and powerful. Sounds like Honda.

You can do some submaximal tests to get a better handle on it.

Because I'm betting like most that got a HRM on here, it was mainly to count calories, and having the HRmax off has a big influence on calorie burn estimates.

If you held steady at 170, and the HRM thought 179 was HRmax - ya, you just got a huge burn on it reported.
    But if your real HRmax is 190, then no, you did not actually burn that many calories - which is rough estimate anyway if you are lacking the VO2max stat on the watch.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and I run 30 mins. 3 days a week and when I'm done my HR is 180-190.
  • heybales
    Options
    It can be dangerous to be in that heart rate zone for extended periods of time. You're also burning carbs instead of fat.

Best to stay within 65%-85% of your maximum heart rate for better cardiovascular health. Over time, your pace will increase while your heart rate stays low. Ever see those middle distance runners in the Olympics? They run effortlessly, heart rate is probably below 170, and their pace is blazing fast!

Keep the HR low, get the pace up, and then start doing speed workouts and HIIT.

Well, it can be dangerous depending on what the real max is. If you can do it for over 10 min though, the calc'd max is obviously wrong as you just can't go that hard that fast unless very well trained.

Also, unless you are right at the lactate threshold where your body is almost burning total carbs, there is always a ratio of carbs to fat. And while the % of fat is less at higher intensity, the quantity usually matches what would be burned at lower intensity, because you are burning more calories overall.

So if you only have 30 min a day and purpose is weight loss, as intense as you want it is good enough with good diet to recovery.

If purpose is endurance as you point out and running races, 80% of the time should be on those long slow runs, which will indeed speed up. People are shocked to see that happen when they really give it enough time and training.
    20% of the time can be spent on upper levels.
  • SyllyThings
    SyllyThings Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense and who said that over time you get to running faster with your HR lower. I can understand that in time I could run the same run and have a lower HR. Thats reassuring. I don't have a calorie counter on my HRM which is fine. So many different readings on so many things after a while I don't care and just use MFP numbers to complete the tracking for now. What I'm concerned about is with that high a reading that something bad could happen. I didn't feel dizzy, no headache, and while breathing heavy I wasn't gasping either. So before the HRM I just thought I was getting a good workout, so just a little shocked. My resting heart rate is normally around 60. If I'm laying down it goes under 60, sitting is over 60. I think thats good.

Anyway, so I guess I'll take my workouts a bit easier to avoid blowing a vessel but I don't want to cut jogging/running out completely as that is my goal to get to running 5km
    The HRmax estimate is just that, and for women, you have a better chance of being more than 10 bpm outside that calculation than in it.

So you may have a genetic Honda heart, or diesel heart, fast and light or slow and powerful. Sounds like Honda.

You can do some submaximal tests to get a better handle on it.

Because I'm betting like most that got a HRM on here, it was mainly to count calories, and having the HRmax off has a big influence on calorie burn estimates.

If you held steady at 170, and the HRM thought 179 was HRmax - ya, you just got a huge burn on it reported.
    But if your real HRmax is 190, then no, you did not actually burn that many calories - which is rough estimate anyway if you are lacking the VO2max stat on the watch.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense and who said that over time you get to running faster with your HR lower. I can understand that in time I could run the same run and have a lower HR. Thats reassuring. I don't have a calorie counter on my HRM which is fine. So many different readings on so many things after a while I don't care and just use MFP numbers to complete the tracking for now. What I'm concerned about is with that high a reading that something bad could happen. I didn't feel dizzy, no headache, and while breathing heavy I wasn't gasping either. So before the HRM I just thought I was getting a good workout, so just a little shocked. My resting heart rate is normally around 60. If I'm laying down it goes under 60, sitting is over 60. I think thats good.

Anyway, so I guess I'll take my workouts a bit easier to avoid blowing a vessel but I don't want to cut jogging/running out completely as that is my goal to get to running 5km

I'm such a goofball, I meant to include the topic on estimating your HRmax so HRM knows and you can vary your training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max

Your'll also find a spreadsheet linked in this post, HRM tab, that has some other sites, and HR zone info you can use.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

The going slower to speed up is interesting, because the opposite has been found not to work nearly as well, namely, keep going all out all the time at say the fast pace you want to have, and add distance. This is found to be more injury prone, more chance of overtraining or not getting required rest for actual improvement, as starting on the lower side and just keeping HR low, and letting pace naturally speed up.

You are basically letting your aerobic system make as much improvement as it possibly can with existing muscle.
    Once the slow runs no longer see pace improving, then time to do some intervals to help build more muscle, then back to aerobically improve that.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just got a HRM and used it on a run today and had crazy high readings. Like 182 and said my average was 159. I'm 41 so 100% is 179. I'm new to running and in training and was pushing myself today, but really?

These readings dont seem abnormal to me. Your actual max heart rate must be greater than 182. It's really quite hard to get to your max level and you will be ready to fall over when you get there. Say it was actually 185 then 159 is around 85% of max - which is relatively easy to attain when running.

To get the most out of your HRM you want to try to get good estimate of your actual MAX - google how to do it. Then you can start to think about training in different zones.