Road Rage & Stuff...

Options
Road Rage defined by Wikipedia as an aggressive or angry behavior by a driver of an automobile or other motor vehicle. Such behavior might include rude gestures, verbal insults, deliberately driving in an unsafe or threatening manner, or making threats. Road rage can lead to altercations, assaults, and collisions which result in injuries and even deaths. It can be thought of as an extreme case of aggressive driving.

Do you or have you ever had Road Rage? Is being in your car similar to posting on internet forums? Do you feel a sense of anonymity and do things or act in a way you normally would not? Have you ever been on the receiving end of Road Rage?

Along the same lines.. Do you think that you are a "good" driver? Would you say you are a better driver then your SO? Would they agree with you? How many car accidents have you been in, how many did you cause?

This is just for conversations sake. You don't need to answer all of these questions. I am just trying to spark some memories and give you a place to share some of the untold stories out there.

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not a ragey driver at all. I think I'm a good driver, I've never been in an accident when I was driving.

I HAVE been the victim of a super crazy road rage driver though, yikes.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I wonder if a dude driving next to a car full of girls after bar and showing us his junk is considered Road Rage? I mean, we considered it a "rude gesture". WTF was he thinking anyways? Why do guys do such rediculous things? He even turned on his dome light so he made sure we could see it! :noway:
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a dude driving next to a car full of girls after bar and showing us his junk is considered Road Rage? I mean, we considered it a "rude gesture". WTF was he thinking anyways? Why do guys do such rediculous things? He even turned on his dome light so he made sure we could see it! :noway:

Haha! What a perv!
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE when a driver doesn't move out of the passing lane and just continues to do the speed limit...causing a line behind them. I wish I had rocket launcher to blast them out of the way.

I've calmed down on cutting them off when passing them though..i did that once and I guess the guy was going the same way I was to NYC from NJ so once I cut him off after he wouldn't move he pretty much followed me all the way to the Lincoln Tunnel until he was forced to move on due to traffic in my lane.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    I think cutting people off, giving the bird, and riding on someone's @ss are probably the most common road rage offensives. I know I have been guitly of all 3 at one time or another. As I get older and now have kids, I realize it's not worth the risk for anyones sake. Not to say there aren't times that I wish my car was equipped with that rocket launcher.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    yeah, i just go around them now and sometimes just give them a "you idiot" look and keep on my way. You never know what crazies are out there.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've been on the receiving end, quite a few times.

Yeah, that's me in the cute little silver Honda, doing 55 in the right-hand lane.

What's wrong with actually OBEYING THE SPEED LIMIT? :tongue:
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Tailgating and texting while driving, especially when riding my motorcycle. I have gotten off my bike and out of my car a few times if I hit a red light and walked back to the guys tailgaiting me and start yelling why the **** are you tailgating??? So far no one has done anything. I will get shot one day. Lol.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Tailgating and texting while driving, especially when riding my motorcycle. I have gotten off my bike and out of my car a few times if I hit a red light and walked back to the guys tailgaiting me and start yelling why the **** are you tailgating??? So far no one has done anything. I will get shot one day. Lol.

I think if you got off your bike and walked back to me with a scowl on your face I would probably pee my pants. Just sayin. Seriously though, who the hell would tailgate a motorcycle?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I had a guy in a nice expensive car honking at me to make a left turn at a light, but that intersection had no left turn without a green arrow, so I pointed at the sign. When I got the green arrow I turned and went up a side street to the company I was visiting, He tried to force me off the road, and I had to do an accelerate and brake fast to get him to shoot past me, then I turned into the company parking lot. He screeched to a halt and did a u turn and started driving at me in the lot. I grabbed something jumped out of the car and ran at him (stupid I know) but I was about to smash his windshield and I guess he saw it in my eyes and fled.

I was shaking for a long time after. I've I'd been alert I would have got his plate #.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I think if you got off your bike and walked back to me with a scowl on your face I would probably pee my pants. Just sayin. Seriously though, who the hell would tailgate a motorcycle?

Lol, I'm actually a teddy bear, lol, but the tailgating puts me over the edge. I'm in NJ and you won't believe how many drivers tailgate me when I'm riding. It's unreal.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I hate to see people drive like morons around motorcycles. Partly because it doesn't take much to cause an accident and partly because I'd owned a motorcycle and have had to ride with morons on the road. I think everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a while so they know what it's like.

I can be a ragey driver. People get on my nerves so much around here. You're in control of a car that can kill...people should have more sense and care when driving. I keep telling my kids that I'm going to open a driving school around here for the idiots.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Never been in nor had an accident in a car....did total my motorcycle in July then fixed it...sold it and bought a Mustang convertible GT. No road rage in Vermont unless it involves a moose, deer, bear or cow.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    I had a guy in a nice expensive car honking at me to make a left turn at a light, but that intersection had no left turn without a green arrow, so I pointed at the sign. When I got the green arrow I turned and went up a side street to the company I was visiting, He tried to force me off the road, and I had to do an accelerate and brake fast to get him to shoot past me, then I turned into the company parking lot. He screeched to a halt and did a u turn and started driving at me in the lot. I grabbed something jumped out of the car and ran at him (stupid I know) but I was about to smash his windshield and I guess he saw it in my eyes and fled.

I was shaking for a long time after. I've I'd been alert I would have got his plate #.

Wow that is crazy that he came at you with the car when you were on foot, WTF is wrong with people! I'd have been shaking for a long time after that too. Damn!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've been on the receiving end, quite a few times.

Yeah, that's me in the cute little silver Honda, doing 55 in the right-hand lane.

What's wrong with actually OBEYING THE SPEED LIMIT? :tongue:

Nothing is wrong with it, so long as you are in the right lane, as you claim to be. :)

Just like any other laws, speed limits are merely suggestions. Drive in northern VA or southern Maryland if you want to see what I mean. Posted speed limit on 270? 55. Speed everyone drives? 80+. The cops can't pull over everyone, and when we all work together, we can get where we are going faster. ;)

Most police won't even bother running radar on several interstates in that area during heavy traffic times, because they couldn't get on to the road safely from a dead stop if their lives depended upon it. Just our little way of showing the police that those roads belong to the public. ;)
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Lol, I'm actually a teddy bear, lol, but the tailgating puts me over the edge. I'm in NJ and you won't believe how many drivers tailgate me when I'm riding. It's unreal.

Riiggghhttt, I'm a teddy bear...until...I turn into a grizzly :wink:
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I've definitely put down my kick stand and walked back to a car a time or two. Idiots consistently tailgate motorcycles. I guess people think just because we can go fast that we should all the time.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    I have a friend that has no idea that she tailgates the car infront of her. I even call her out on it when I am with her. She is in total denial of it. I'm like " Dude, we are the only 2 cars on the road right now, and if the car infront of you breaked right now, you would have to act fast. That is tailgaiting. " She's just like "psshh".

Although she is a horrible driver in general. I have been in the car with her when she hit an orange construction barrel stone sober. :noway: