Petite n Flabby - Shared Weigh In Day?

Options
How would you all feel about having a weigh in day for all of us - the same day of the week - and we post what we're at here? If even just a couple of people do this, it might be enough for us to keep each other motivated. If folks like this idea, what day would we like this to be? I weigh in daily for now so any day is okay with me, if anyone's up for this idea.

And, how would you all feel about a daily "mental" check in? Just sort of a statement of how we're feeling mentally that day and then we can help each other through the hard days, knowing up front that so and so woke up feeling very down on themselves for the binge they had the night before?

Just some ideas to give this group *some* focus and direction rather than being *completely* random - and complete randomnes is of course okay too!

Replies

• aplucedellaluna
    Options
    I'm in!
    I think Fridays are good :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Aplucedellaluna.... can I shorten that to luna? LOL

I think it would be good if we could get just one or two more people on board. :-) I'll open up teh first "mental check in" in the morning. This way, people aren't getting advice or sympathy when they don't want it and those that do need encouragement are getting it when it matters most!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I agree!!

Friday is good for me as that's the day I would usually weigh in :smile:
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Fridays are good for me too.

Do you guys want to also post measurements? I just bought measuring tape and I've been terrified to use it.... this might give me a little butt kicking that I need. Just a thought.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    Fridays are good for me too.

Do you guys want to also post measurements? I just bought measuring tape and I've been terrified to use it.... this might give me a little butt kicking that I need. Just a thought.

I'm okay with that. Sometimes that's more indicative than the scale! Both are, of course, optional. Are Fridays good for those who do want to?
  • skinnydee
    Options
    Oooooh can I join in ?? pleeeeaaase....I really need the motavation right now I seem to be getting nowhere :sad:
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    Oooooh can I join in ?? pleeeeaaase....I really need the motavation right now I seem to be getting nowhere :sad:

SkinnyDee -

I know the feeling! Have you read some of the other posts by this "group"? This will give you a base sense of where we all are and what kinds of things we'll probably talk about (good bad AND ugly...lol) - primarily involving what it's like to be really short (shorter than 5'4") and what we face in the world at large and in particular, others perspectives that affect our sense of well-being. Many of us have dealt with some majorly erroneous assumptions about size, weight and health so that will probably be a strong focus in our discussions. :-)
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    New realization. Time for me to get serious. I quit smoking 12/1/09. It has been since then that I've put on this 20# (+/-). So, my system can't possibly still think that I'm going to just keel over from lack of nutrition - despite the fact that I was eating a doggone lot of chocolate! ;-)

I dont' know about anyone else, but when I start to gain - I feel tired, sluggish, drained and lethargic - constantly. Eating all day is still making me tired all day. In the last few days, having put on a couple more pounds (yeah, it really doesn't take me long!), I'm even MORE tired and lethargic. I know I've only been tracking my cals for a few weeks, but I didn't put all this weight on in a week or two. I put a good chunk of it on in that first month after quitting and then the next 6 weeks brought on the rest.

So, I'm going to keep my calorie counter at 1200 - but I'm not going to strain too hard to make that number. Mostly what my focus is going to be now is the workouts and feeling all lethargic and stuff all the time - I need some boootay kickin'! I won't be meal planning until after midterms - but I've got to get a workout routine down! What does everyone else do?

Next week, I think I'm going to drop my counter down to 1150 and so on. I also need to up my water. I have two major goals to achieve in the next 2 weeks: routine for exercise so that I accomplish 30 min's a day (no matter how small I have to divide it up to start!) and up my water intake to a CONSISTENT 3 glasses a day (right now, it's consistently none with an occasional 2-3 thrown in once in a while!). Baby steps!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I want to try to eat more raw foods. My husband makes his own raw organic juice for breakfast & lunch, and then eats a cooked meal for dinner. I want to try something like that, but I'm kind of nervous about vegetable juices- yuck.

I need to step it up with exercise as well. I can't work out hard because of my back but even 30 days of cardio a day would be an improvement. Muth3rluvx2, let's motivate each other to work out! Do you work during the day? Snacks like dried fruit (mango is SOOO good, it's like a fruit roll up!), raw nuts (I love raw almonds, they taste buttery), a protein shake, whole grain toast, are good ideas for snacking throughout the day. I also like edamame a lot, since I'm vegetarian it's hard for me to get protein and edamame has a lot.

I was thinking about setting my calorie count to 1100 but I was nervous I'd go into 'starvation mode' or whatever.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    I just read a great post on the whole "starvation mode" argument. You're not going to be deficient that easily. Are you still losing? If you are, I wouldn't worry too much about lowering your cals at this point. In fact, if you feel like you've gotten stronger, you might want to even up them a tad. Muscle uses more energy more efficiently and rapidly, so you'll burn faster the more muscle you develop.

My days are weird. Here's an outline of my schedule:
    M & T - work at home (office work, school work - all on my butt work) during the day
    PM's - class

W-F - at the office (butt) from about 9:30-3:30 - since I'm a grad student, I'm not allowed to put in more than 25 hours of work.
    4:15-9 PM - kids
    9:30-ish on - school, working out, cleaning, anything else I need to do. I go to bed between midnight and 2 a.m. and my alarm goes off at 6:30 (rarely do I crawl out of bed on time though!!!).

It's really hard for me to get motivated to work out at 10 at night and if I'm going to bed at 2 - I can't bring myself to get up early enough (much less have the energy!) to work out in the mornings!!!

But I have to find a way to fit this in *somewhere*!!!! And i know there's gaps in there that I'm just totally blowing off... 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there....

I'm not sure what my dietary goals are just yet. I'm not sure I have anything specific other than to maybe up my produce intake. Overall, my food choices aren't generally very bad. A bit too high on the simple carbs but that's about it. I think I'm going ot have a pear, btw.

Totally need some help getting my butt in gear and motivated to seriously sweat it out!!

what is edamame?

try carrots by themselves first. That shouldn't be too bad. Then, slowly add very mild fruits to sweeten it up - apples or grapes is what I would start with. Having done this once or twice, I can tell you it takes practice to get the "formula" right and you don't want left overs. They don't keep well. ick. I haven't done it enough to get the formula right otherwise I'd offer some suggestions on that. and, ultimately, if you don't like it - you don't like it.

What kind of vegetarian are you? Vegan or "regular"?
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I'm just a regular vegetarian. I stopped eating meat a couple of months ago now I think, so I'm a newbie. I try not to eat much dairy (lactose intolerance) but I'm a sucker for cheese. I am in love with almond milk as a replacement for cow's milk, and I found Earth Balance to be superior to dairy butter, I looooOOooOOve that stuff!

Edamame is a baby soybean. It's harvested before it fully ripens & gets hard. I buy them frozen... you just put them in boiling water for 5-7 minutes and they're done! Drain, add salt and eat. There's about 17g of protein in 1/2 cup, I believe. They're really good.

Funny you mention carrot juice! That's what I've been experimenting with... I actually added apple to my last one and it helped a bit. I think I'm going to add ginger next time, maybe. I bought a book full of juice recipes so that I don't waste too much produce trying to find a tasty mixture.

You have a rough schedule.. when you work at home can you take mini breaks to do some cardio or something? What if you go to bed earlier and then get up and work out first thing in the morning? It might give you energy throughout the day since it gets your endorphins running?
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    I'm just a regular vegetarian. I stopped eating meat a couple of months ago now I think, so I'm a newbie. I try not to eat much dairy (lactose intolerance) but I'm a sucker for cheese. I am in love with almond milk as a replacement for cow's milk, and I found Earth Balance to be superior to dairy butter, I looooOOooOOve that stuff!

Edamame is a baby soybean. It's harvested before it fully ripens & gets hard. I buy them frozen... you just put them in boiling water for 5-7 minutes and they're done! Drain, add salt and eat. There's about 17g of protein in 1/2 cup, I believe. They're really good.

Funny you mention carrot juice! That's what I've been experimenting with... I actually added apple to my last one and it helped a bit. I think I'm going to add ginger next time, maybe. I bought a book full of juice recipes so that I don't waste too much produce trying to find a tasty mixture.

You have a rough schedule.. when you work at home can you take mini breaks to do some cardio or something? What if you go to bed earlier and then get up and work out first thing in the morning? It might give you energy throughout the day since it gets your endorphins running?

I'll have to try those.

I have 2 strikes against me about going to bed earlier right now. 1) I'm a natural nocturn. My optimum sleep time is 6 hours, so summer is great. I can go to bed at 2 am and get up at 8 am and I'm energized ALL day (solar powered nocturn.. I know.. weird). 2) my boyfriend is currently on third shift. I don't know why but I have a VERY hard time going to bed if he's not home. I don't need him in bed with me or anything. When he's on 2nd, he gets home around 11:30 or so and if for some reason I am in bed and tired that early, I won't actually fall asleep until I hear the door open. The second I do, I'm out like a light. I won't even be aware of him coming in and giving me a kiss, I'll be out that fast.

I will lay in bed and toss and turn until 2 or 3 a.m. if I try to go to bed earlier. :-( And oddly enough, workign out makes me sleepy!!! I've finally met someone else that has that reaction, thank goodness! I really started to wonder if I was just subconsciously being contrary just for the hell of it. What a relief to find out otherwise.

I really shouldn't be on here as much as I am - but I've become something of an addict! lol... I'm actually thinking about working out right now (it's 12:22 a.m. as i type it) but I am kind of tired. I just wait until I KNOW I'm goign to fall asleep to go to bed. I also have several papers, 3 midterms, a final I could be starting on............. some of it's due in less than a week. YIKES! Oh crap.. in fact, one of my big papers is due in 5 days! lol.. oops? Guess I'll be busting butt on that over the weekend the rest of teh evenings this week. Fortunately, it's only 3-5 pages with 3 sources. I think I printed 5 or 6 and I'll end up with an 8 page paper. LOL

Should I work out?
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    I just put two old photos in my photo section - Christmas 2003 and Summer 2006. Although I don't have a full body shot of me now, you can look at my face and compare and see the differences there. In both I was a size 2/3. Now I think I'm a size 8, possibly 10 - and we all know what that means on a 5' frame! This is what I want to get back to only hella' healthier! This was all before my boyfriend now and I was in undergrad full time, working almost full time, and didn't *have time* to do anything to care for myself. I was taking care of 2 babies single handedly on top of everything else (nope - no family help, friends couldn't help, etc etc etc). I was really active out of necessity, but I ate whatever I could when I could and that wasn't often. I worried more about feeding the kids than me. In '06, my car wasn't very reliable so I walked ... ALOT - with a backpack, diaper bag, baby in a stroller and toddler. LOL... probably was rather comical looking if it weren't so danged pathetic. :-p Short answer - I wasn't really healthy, despite the exercise. But I sure would like to be able to get into those shorts again!!! *grins*
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    just wanna' see my new ticker. LOL. Yep - Imma dork.
  • supercool111
    Options
    So would the weigh-ins be on Thursdays?
    I'd like to join if that's OK.
    I'm 5'3'',
    165lbs ,
    waist: 31in,
    hips: 39.2.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    So would the weigh-ins be on Thursdays?
    I'd like to join if that's OK.
    I'm 5'3'',
    165lbs ,
    waist: 31in,
    hips: 39.2.

I think Fridays -but if Thurs is what works for you best, then feel free to do so on Thursdays!!! :-)

I wont' be on during the day today, most likely.. no internet at work right now!! :-((((