Advice Needed: Weight loss and Grad School?

Options
Hi everyone,
Anyone out there in college and trying to lose weight? I have found since this semester started I have been unable to keep myself on track. I currently have 3 Grad classes and work two days a week. I formally worked full time and was going school part time. I have no children, but do run a household.

I am open to anything, so throw it my way;)

Thanks, Kitty

Replies

• panda007dammit
    panda007dammit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I pretty recently finished my stint in grad school (master's degree, wooo!) so while we're no longer in the same boat, I can tell you that the best thing I ever did was organize a "cooking day". I would get together with some friends and we would cook one or two huge dishes, usually along the lines of soups, casseroles, stir fry, or anything else that stores relatively well in the fridge for later reheating. We'd make a ton of it, split it up into single-meal servings, and we'd all take some of those with us. This meant that I'd gotten my chance to be social and take a break from school while also making my life much easier later in the week. I already had delicious, ready-made, healthy food! This both saved me time and lowered the temptation to grab a quick bite from the many fast-food places around campus if I had to stay late at the office.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my Ph.D. right now. I gained a lot of weight (almost 50 lbs) after grad school started. The stress of it plus being at a desk all day took its toll on me bigtime, but then I lost 40+ of it during grad school also. You just have to make it a priority just like your work. That takes serious dedication, but it CAN be done.

Setting weekly achievable goals was a big help to me. Ideally, they should be fitness or nutrition goals not scale goals. For example, early on it was "this week I will walk at least 30 minutes per day and preplan my meals every day this week." Eventually, as my fitness improved, my goals got more specific and targeted.

My best advice for you is to set some weekly goals, and don't be too rushed to drop your weight. Patience and pacing yourself helps take a lot of the stress off your shoulders about it.
  • kittymewmew66
    Options
    Thanks, everyone;)
  • kittymewmew66
    Options
    TY and congrats:)
  • molly589
    Options
    I'm in grad school right now, and the best advice I can give is just to make a schedule for yourself! Make sure to put your work out in your daily schedule, even if it's just a 20 minute work out. I do my work outs in the morning (my classes aren't in the morning) so I can get it over with and go to class later, do homework, etc. Also, pack yourself healthy food to eat between classes or when you're at school so you're not snacking on crappy, school food!

Good luck!
  • alodell89
    alodell89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the cooking day! I am going to grad school and working full time and the best thing I do for myself is to make all of my meals on Sunday, then I don't have to worry about it during the week!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I am not in grad school, but my husband is going for his doctorate and is trying to lose weight. I find that by packing him a healthy lunch that is filled with filling, healthy calories, he doesn't eat his usual junk, which would include burritos from Qdoba, huge muffins and bagels in the food court, or burgers. He is (sadly) not a veggie guy, so I usually pack him a Greek yogurt, a couple of string cheese sticks, an applesauce, a Fiber One granola bar and some of these flax crisp crackers he really likes. It's a lot of calories--about 600 calories-- but it keeps him full and is full of protein and fiber. He always says that having munchies on hand helps keep him less hungry. He's lost about 12 lbs. in the past few months just due to this because he hasn't changed anything else. :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Back in my grad school days, there was a girl in my lab (my best friend while I was there actually) who put her 60+ hours a week into lab work and also cooked her own healthy meals and exercised every day. I watched the weight melt off of her. It can be done.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    whoopsie double post!
  • dellalyn
    Options
    I'm in grad school and working full time (very stressful job - more than 40 per week). I'm married and have a husband that helps out with cooking and house cleaning. I still have a VERY hard time getting any workouts in. If you can schedule some workout time and stick to it - that would be great. I've gained 13 lbs in 2 years and have been trying to work it off but it's hard. I seem to yo-yo between the same 5 lbs. I keep thinking when I'm done with grad school I'll have some time for me.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm just wrapping up my grad school nightmare...defending my thesis in a few weeks :) I work full-time and school was part-time for me. Like others have said, take 20 minutes a day for a workout (30 day shred is great for a good all-over workout in only 20 minutes). Also, I made nearly all of my meals on the weekend and stored them in portions for a quick reheat during the week. Large batches of soup, chili, and crock pot recipes work wonders. You can bang out a lot of food on a Sunday afternoon and it'll save you HOURS during the week.

Good luck!!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when the semester is in session I have to cut back on the gym (I went from 4 to 2-3 workouts/week). The important part is to eat right whether or not you can make it to the gym. And make your workouts worth it when you do get to them!

Sending a FR if you want a fellow grad student to help you stay motivated!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I put on a bunch of weight during my 1L years(for those who don't know, that is your first year of Lawschool). I started using the campus gym during classes, or directly afterwards. I started bringing my lunches instead of going out with sectionmates. The law library was actually across campus, so I walked there a lot instead of driving. I then obtained a masters a number of years later and was teaching 3 classes a week and taking 3 classes. I did the same routine. Even with classes and work, you can find the time. I"ve found graduate school allowed me more time to be active then when I was out of school.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well I will tell you I think a lot of us have been there. Now grad school didn't put the weight on me but it sure as heck is not helping me get it off.

I wake early in the morning to get kids off to school. I sit at a desk almost all day when I'm not teaching labs or attending class. Afterward I head home to be bombarded with four little girls that want mommy. At 9:30 I have a choice exercise or study or go to bed.

I have just made a decision to start waking at 5:30 to get my work out in. I'm so busy during the day that I often just do not have the want or inclination to work out the rest of the day.
  • kittymewmew66
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas;) My husband is also having the same issue as me. I'm going to try the 30 day shred also heard about the c 24 marathon too, would be great to have some good goals. Yup, and the mass cooking is a great idea too;)