Oh my god .. this is frustrating

Options
Okay, I on sunday (and last sat) I weighted my self and I was 157. This morning when I weight my self I was 160.

On sunday afternoon, I went for a LONG walk (under the rain) for an hour and I kept my diet at 1200 to 1350 the max. I am also coming close that 'that' time of the month in 5 days, and I know this is probably mostly water gain, BUT... this is SOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING.

I could barely get my self ready for work this morning :( I am really determinded to lose this 15 pounds but this whole water gain thing throws me out so bad sometimes.

Wanted to know if you any of you are in the same boat and have exprienced the same thing? Also should I now change my 'weight in' or should I wait till this sat when I usually record my weight to put my measurements?

This is the 'support' blog so I would appreciate any type of support and similar stories from you all,

Thanks,

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I know exactly what you mean about water retention. Try and drink lots of water, remember why that extra weight is there, and that it will come off.

In an ideal world I reckon we'd only weigh once a month, then progress would be so much easier to see!! ( but I don't know anyone with that much willpower! )..
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I feel like you will get the same answer over and over because this is such a commonly posted topic, you'd have to be a complete stranger not to know the answer:

You could not have gained all that in fat unless you ate 3500+ a DAY.
    It is quite clearly water retention, as you said (watch your sodium/carbs, up your fiber, up your water).
    Don't weigh yourself after the weekend (if you allow more indulgences), or don't weigh more than once a week or two.

Yes, people like to weigh everyday to see the fluctuations. If you come on the forums and admittedly freak out, then weighing more than once a week does not seem ideal for you.

So yes, I absolutely wouldn't record it. It's not an accurate gain. Wait till Saturday (or even longer), and remember that stress can cause retention, too (so don't stress!).
  • Special2013
    Special2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree and some time it goes up for me 5lbs. I am considering changing my weigh in day but I'm not sure that it will help. Just keep pushing. What I have done is not record those Mondays, stay on plan and weigh in the next Monday and record that ,which is usually less. Keep pushing
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't change your weight, if you were eating properly and exercising that weight is in no way fat and will be easily lost again.

I retain anywhere from 3-15lbs of water weight when my TOM show up. Nothing to get terribly discouraged about. I find that keeping my sodium at about half for the week leading up to my TOM helps to keep the water weight at a reasonable level. Course, I am a week out now and blew my sodium out of the water yesterday, so I feel like a bloated frumpy mess.

Weigh yourself after your TOM, ignore the scale completely, keep eating healthy, drink plenty of water and get your exercise in. And remember Not to Panic and always have a towel.

<3
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My doctors nurse & I were actually talking about that last week. She says your body can actually go up as much as 5 pounds in a day with food, liquid.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!! The sooner you understand that and stop using it as THE measuring stick, the happier you will be.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!! The sooner you understand that and stop using it as THE measuring stick, the happier you will be.

So true!! I used to get pissed at the scale. Then I got even! I got tough with myself and took a long hard look at what I was eating and doing. Then realize that the scale fluctuates quite a lot from day to day. ONLY weigh yourself at the most once a week if its going to upset you that much that you want to quit. I weigh every day at the same time only because it keeps me determined to keep going and work it off. Not everyone can do that. You sound like someone who gets discouraged easily so forget the scale. You only want to lose 15 pounds. Thats not a lot. So take your measurements and check those once a week and see if you have any changes going on that way. But stay away from the scale. Your just freaking yourself out.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    And remember Not to Panic and always have a towel.

<3

This is probably the most helpful advise. I tend to panic whjen the scale goes up instead of down even if the tape measurements show me getting smaller.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I gain quite a bit right before my period but then lose it right as it starts. I just know that when it is coming up expect bigger numbers and that if I keep at it then I SHOULD see really awesome numbers in another week!!!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It is water weight. Unless you eat the same exact thing at the same exact time every day and weigh yourself at precisely the same time on the exact same spot in your floor, you are going to see some fluctuation. You can either stop weighing yourself everyday, or learn to ignore anything less than a 5 pound fluctuation.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about small numbers like that. I went on a 8 day vacaton, gained 10 pounds. When I came back I just drank A LOT of water and went back to my regular diet. I didnt kill myself at the gym, and the 10 pounds were gone in 6 days. Similar situation, I gained 2.6 over a weekend and got sad a little bit then realized it was dumb to be upset about it. Tuesday morning i had lost the 2.6 and then some. Our bodies fluctuate so much and sodium plays a huge part in how much we weigh at a given time. Just stay motivated and stay strong. If you get hung up on 1-3 pound gains, then stop weighing yourself so often. Weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks to see the REAL results. :) Good luck!