Not impressed with Costco!!

Options
Am I the only one to notice the lack of healthy food at Costco? They only hold v8 with sodium, the have no light cheese, the only meat they have is cut so thick that it's 3-4 portion for 1 piece! I get more and more frustrated everytime I go!!!!

Just wanted to vent :wink:

Replies

• HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    With you on the light cheese...but some of their items are great. I live off the dried hashbrowns and eggbeaters. Their deli meats are very good as well, and are reasonable. Bulk chicken breasts either fresh or frozen are a staple of mine, as are the kidney beans in cases of 12.

Definitely not a one stop shop though...just one big bag of 2% cheese would rock!!!
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree on the meats. I usually will bring it home and cut it down to appropriate sizes then freeze it. I definitely only go there for certain things.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    I agree some of the stuff is great! but unfortunatly, I still have to go to my old grocery store fore stuff as basic as no sodium V8 or light mayo!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    This is America they are just giving us what we want!

Luckily in my area we have some pretty awesome healthy grocer selections which I am thankful for. Don't buy your food from costco and tell your friends to do the same. If we can do that then eventually costco will go out or they will adapt to the change in demand.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Why would you want light or low fat cheese? Blech.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Really? I don't think low fat cheese tastes all that bad.
  • metalpalace
    Options

I agree, depends on who makes it. It can taste heavenly
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I don't eat low fat anything.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    They have actually gotten better over the past year. I started changing my eating habits a year ago last month and since then they have actually started carrying whole wheat pasta and their chicken nuggets have been changed to whole wheat breading and all white meat. I guess it's baby steps. Regardless, they have the best produce around!
  • metalpalace
    Options

No one asked you to eat low fat anything, just sayin :p
  • my2boystx
    Options
    The last time I was at Costco, I noticed the same thing. I was really disappointed when I left with just a few things. They do have a great selection of produce and meats. I just wished they carried more low fat choices in snacks and other foods. I didn't know they had those chicken nuggets there or whole wheat pasta, thanks for letting me know :)
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love Costco. Without it, our food budget would be bust. They have the most affordable prices on frozen foods such as chicken tenders, wild salmon, organic mixed vegetables, Amy's healthier pizza, and mixed berries. They have OJ, fruits and vegetables, ground turkey, whole wheat spagetti, healthier spagetti sauce, canned tuna in water, canned chicken in broth, sodium nitrite-free turkey slices, and whole wheat breads.

Without Costco, my family would find buying groceries even more painful to the pocketbook than it is. Granted, they are not a health food store, but they certainly offer many healthful selections. And, their prices help keep my shelves stocked at home.

In Hawaii, we practically worship Costco! :tongue:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Costco is not Trader Joes, or Whole Foods, BUT--they do have a lot of great healthy stuff--produce second to none. Excellent seafood--except for the farmed Atlantic salmon--phooey), also organic options, protein shakes, protein bars, healthy snacks, are hiding in there, along with the giant packages of candy bars. Remember that a lot of smaller independent retailers purchase items for resale from Costco, and they have to give their customers what they ask for, so of course they carry "mainstream" products..

As for the low sodium juice option mentioned before, I have 3 CASES of low sodium v8 juice in my garage right now, purchased at Costco from last month's coupon book, when they were on special. They don't have it all the time, but I have found they are responsive. Every store has a customer comment box or a comment binder where you can leave messages about what you would like.

As for not buying food at Costco until they "change their ways"--that isn't likely to produce results, as there are plenty of other people who will continue to buy what they do stock now. A tactic more likely to produce more healthy choices at Costco would be utilizing the comment system I mentioned to communicate the changes or additions you are seeking.

I actually was at Costco tonight, and those darned rotisserie chickens smell so good, it was all I could do to make it home without stopping to cut into it right there in the car!!!:embarassed: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    hey i'm Costco's #1 fan don doubt me! (Some of my co-workers stole and framed my card a while back lol).

All I'm saying is that when I go to the regular grocery store (Sobey's in my case) there's the healthier version on everything, mayo, cheese-whiz, mozza cheese etc....

I do still shop at Costco cuz they have a bunch of awsome stuff, vegetable & fruit selection and prices is impressive, the hummus they hold is out of this world!

All i'm saying is that they could offer a healthier version of the stuff that the does the most damage when you're trying to loose weight.

I did end an e-mail to customer service....i'm waiting for a reply.

JF
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I really like Costco's produce section especailly their fresh french green beans and larger packs of strawberries and peppers and gala apples. I also get my rainbow trout and talapia there as well as organic quinoa and great valley whole grain rice. I can't get the rainbow trout or whole grain rice at my grocery store, so I like costco for some things. I like the meat at costco but definetely definetely have to watch the portion sizes! I also just purchased some awesome hummus the last time i went, its almost whipped and yummmy. :) I also found some split grain bread, good yogurt, egg beaters and whole eggs at good prices. This last trip was my best trip in awhile (no junk in the cart lol).
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    hey i'm Costco's #1 fan don doubt me! (Some of my co-workers stole and framed my card a while back lol).

All I'm saying is that when I go to the regular grocery store (Sobey's in my case) there's the healthier version on everything, mayo, cheese-whiz, mozza cheese etc....

I do still shop at Costco cuz they have a bunch of awsome stuff, vegetable & fruit selection and prices is impressive, the hummus they hold is out of this world!

All i'm saying is that they could offer a healthier version of the stuff that the does the most damage when you're trying to loose weight.

I did end an e-mail to customer service....i'm waiting for a reply.

JF

I was thinking the same thing about the mayo and a few other things too. The US always has way better variety of lower fat items, especially cheese than here in Canada. We really have reduced fat cheddar or part skim mozza, the variety in the states is way better!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Costco is not Trader Joes, or Whole Foods, BUT--they do have a lot of great healthy stuff--produce second to none.

A little off topic, but I just found out that Whole Foods frozen "organic" veggies are imported from China! As if there is any oversight there. Here's video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ31Ljd9T_Y
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I agree...even though I don't eat cheese. Most low fat items have added sugar or sodium added (although I'm sure with cheese it's just because they use a lower fat milk prior to the production).

Anyway, back on topic. I love costco. Mine...I can get my daughter organic no-sugar added juice boxes, dried fruit (no sugar added), my edamame in the big bags, frozen veggies (with nothing added), and great seafood. I love it!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I agree, depends on who makes it. It can taste heavenly

I eat the 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar by Cabot. It's yum! and on my homemade pizza I use fat free mozzarella. I dont have any issues with them at all.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    ok...I'm even less impressed by their answer....:

Dear valued member,

Thank you for your recent inquiry through Costco.ca.
    We appreciate member feedback and the time you took to write us.

If you have any further inquiries, please reply to this e-mail or call our member service agents at 1-800-463-3783, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST. They will be happy to assist you.

Member Service

Costco Wholesale