Benefits of Raw apple Cider Vinegar??

Options
Hello, I have a coworker who swears by this stuff and says its also helping her maintain her weight, shes a little Kookey, so I figured I should ask around. She initially started taking it for skin problems, and has begun noticing a weight loss and that is the only change she has had in her life.. I would love any advice, testimonials or problems if you have tried it!! Thanks

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it being helpful with blood pressure, but I don't believe its possible that it causes weight loss......
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Drinking it before a meal is supposed to help slow down the spike in your blood sugar when you eat.
  • JenLovesFall
    Options
    I've heard it does have health benefits, but my biggest concern is the acid in vinegar is horrible for your teeth.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I just used it to unclog a massively clogged shower drain**. Two applications and the drain is draining like new again.

**You may want to take this advice at face value. How do you feel about ingesting atypically large amounts of a substance that corrodes keratin (in hair) and soap scum deposits in next to no time?
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just used it to unclog a massively clogged shower drain**. Two applications and the drain is draining like new again.

**You may want to take this advice at face value. How do you feel about ingesting atypically large amounts of a substance that corrodes keratin (in hair) and soap scum deposits in next to no time?

Does this really work? How much did you use? LOL
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options

That really works on the drain!? Do you just pour it down straight?
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been told (and researched it for myself...which I suggest you do as well), 1 capful (tablespoon roughly) in 1 cup of water before meals will help you feel fuller faster so you don't overeat. you can also take the tablespoon like a shot and then drinking the water. That prevents any acid on your teeth. I've tried it but I would forget a lot so I'm not sure how effective it is but I know people who do it.
  • PartyMcLovin
    Options
    As humans are alkaline by nature I think consitently taking acid daily (vinegar) is probably not the best idea in the long run. I can and have seen the benefits personally by taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar 3 times per day when the beginnings of a cold/flu sinus infection seems to be taking a hold. I often get sinus infections around cold/flu season and heard about the apple cider vinegar thing so thought I'd give it a go. It definitely helped and I had very little stuffiness with my sinus' :smile:

As for other health benefits I can't say
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That really works on the drain!? Do you just pour it down straight?
    Any weak acid will work.
    Vinegar, coke, lemon juice...
    When I worked as an electrician on slabs, we used to pour coke down any conduits that got cement in them by accident.
    24 hours later they were clear...true story.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I use it on my hair and scalp a few times a year as a clarifier and cuticle sealer. I have never had any problem with corroding keratin.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    A whole bottle (a pint, essentially) and yes, I poured the vinegar down the drain, let it sit for 15 mins. Then I poured baking soda down the drain (half a box), let that sit for 15 minutes, and then rinsed with cold water for 5 mins. Works like a charm!
  • Cindy219
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious about using it in the drain! Two people with long, thick hair in our house means lots of clogged drains! Ha!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love vinegar and I am starting to take a teaspoon at least once daily. If you google the benefits of apple cider vinegar you will see it's very benefical for your body. Some people put it in their water but since I love it I just drink it.
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump for unclogging the drain purposes!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I just drink it because I like it. I dilute it with water and salt and drink it on ice.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it being used for joint pain and arthritis. but not necessarily for weight loss...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    While I was experiencing a major GI issue last month I had several people swear by Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother as a helpful digestive aid. I did research and it is supposed to help with the amount of acid in your stomach that breaks down food (HCL). It is also supposed to assist with acid reflux but I did not read in my hours of research anything about weight loss. If she had low HCL and her food was not digesting properly, this could be what is doing the trick, especially if the weight is off her tummy.

BTW, many people go on special diets and do things to lose weight and straight up lie about it. She could very well be doing something else and just not wanting to tell you.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A whole bottle (a pint, essentially) and yes, I poured the vinegar down the drain, let it sit for 15 mins. Then I poured baking soda down the drain (half a box), let that sit for 15 minutes, and then rinsed with cold water for 5 mins. Works like a charm!
    i'm doing this- thank you.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I started taking it for my skin, and didn't notice any difference really, I felt like I had more energy, but I don't know if that was more of a placebo effect. I diluted it down in a LOT of water and drank it through a straw. I ultimately never noticed anything with my weight or eating less, and it didn't work that great of wonders for my skin so really how bad it is for your teeth and the awful taste, I just stopped. However, its only like $3 a bottle, so its really not all that much lost if you're interested in trying it. I've heard it works well to take during cold/flu season, so I may start back up with taking it in the morning, not really sure, it didn't taste that great. I will say it um, makes you more regular though.

I don't know if you can really say that it causes weight loss, or if people look it up for health benefits and change their lifestyle to being more healthy at the same time they start taking it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I researched it for my Gout. With a little adjustment to my diet and a daily shot of Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, my flare ups of Gout have gone from weekly to almost never.

I stopped taking shots of it (too harsh) and started cooking with it. Whenever a recipe calls for a vinegar, I use the Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. I also make my own salad dressing with it.

I think it really is as beneficial as reported.