HRM Question

Options
timisw
timisw Posts: 391 Member
Ok... I am a technology junkie. Only problem is I fear that a new and better product will appear the second I buy one or the price will drop 30 days later... So I never end up buying anything except on whims!

However, my Timex IronMan's batteries died after 2 trips to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan. The velcro is worn out and it looks like it has been thru hell (sand blasted, paint chipping). I figure this MIGHT be the right time to look into a watch that can duel as a HRM.

So my question to all the people with Heart Rate Monitor Experience -

1) If money was no object, what HRM would you buy?

2) What HRM's have you owned and what did you like/dislike about them?

3) What features are must haves? What features sound great during the sales pitch, but you end up never using?

4) Do they all require chest straps? How comfortable is wearing that all day?

I definitely like the calories burned, zone HR controls, but still have the functions of a watch. I want to wear it everyday, but not have it being bulky, but at the same time, if it showed elevation and predicted weather, I would be pretty happy too.

I was thinking of the MIO Watch MIO Ultimate - http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=0012US-CSBK/584.0.23809.23813.0.0.0

It can use a chest strap, but doesnt always need one!

Thanks in advance! Tim

Replies

• timisw
    Options
    Ok... I am a technology junkie. Only problem is I fear that a new and better product will appear the second I buy one or the price will drop 30 days later... So I never end up buying anything except on whims!

However, my Timex IronMan's batteries died after 2 trips to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan. The velcro is worn out and it looks like it has been thru hell (sand blasted, paint chipping). I figure this MIGHT be the right time to look into a watch that can duel as a HRM.

So my question to all the people with Heart Rate Monitor Experience -

1) If money was no object, what HRM would you buy?

2) What HRM's have you owned and what did you like/dislike about them?

3) What features are must haves? What features sound great during the sales pitch, but you end up never using?

4) Do they all require chest straps? How comfortable is wearing that all day?

I definitely like the calories burned, zone HR controls, but still have the functions of a watch. I want to wear it everyday, but not have it being bulky, but at the same time, if it showed elevation and predicted weather, I would be pretty happy too.

I was thinking of the MIO Watch MIO Ultimate - http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=0012US-CSBK/584.0.23809.23813.0.0.0

It can use a chest strap, but doesnt always need one!

Thanks in advance! Tim
  • Doozie
    Doozie Posts: 53
    Options
    I have been shopping for a new HRM myself. After looking into many options and talking to different trainers and people at the gym I am going with a Polar F55 series. They have higher end that do much more, I don't think I personaly need GPS!
    I have had my last Polar for over 10 years. The battery just died for the second time. I could get it replaced but I think technology has changed over the past 10 years and I deserve a new one.
    HRMs are so beneficial for my work outs, I felt lost the past week with out mine.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    oh, money not being an object? LOL then I would get the
    Polar RS800SD, but I'm a runner so it might not be for you.
    here is the link:

http://www.shoppolar.com/_polarelectrostore/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?frompage=category&page=product_detail&from_category=&category=Outdoor+Sports&pid=F22223A23RDPKG687RD

it's so kick *kitten*! But it's like 500 bucks. Not even I can justify that much dough. It's got the gps, all the gadgets, an awesome warranty,
  • timisw
    Options
    Do the Polar's always require chest straps?

I wouldnt mind wearing that while actually running, but would like to also get a reading while working without having a funny line of missing chest hair!

I had never heard of the Mio before, but it looks pretty good. Also, Wanderinglight mentioned Suunto?

They looked like a solid product as well!

I am not sure on the GPS... but that would be nice for running/biking etc!
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ok..do HRM tell you how many calories you burn in a day????
  • banks1850
    Options
    Tim, most do. some have foot pedometers and gps, but I don't know how else you would get an accurate heart rate measurement without some sort of core monitor. Your pulse is not as accurate because of the distance from your heart.

bor, yes they do, if you wear it all day. They are much more accurate then just calculating it because the measure your actual metabolic rate (kind of)
  • timisw
    Options
    ok..do HRM tell you how many calories you burn in a day????

Some give you a VERY good estimate based on your heart rate, age, weights, height, gender.

It would definitely be better than our estimates based on websites etc.

I just want to make sure it can do it ALL day, vice only when you have the cheststrap on!
  • banks1850
    Options

Some give you a VERY good estimate based on your heart rate, age, weights, height, gender.

It would definitely be better than our estimates based on websites etc.

I just want to make sure it can do it ALL day, vice only when you have the cheststrap on!

if it has a chest strap you need it on for it to measure your heart rate. But trust me when I tell you, you tend to forget they are even there after a while. They aren't at all uncomfortable (at least not for me), I have worn them all day before twice in the last 3 months and both times I woke up the next day, stripped down to get in the shower and said, "Oh yeah, I forgot I had that on."
  • timisw
    Options
    Tim, most do. some have foot pedometers and gps, but I don't know how else you would get an accurate heart rate measurement without some sort of core monitor. Your pulse is not as accurate because of the distance from your heart.

bor, yes they do, if you wear it all day. They are much more accurate then just calculating it because the measure your actual metabolic rate (kind of)

That makes sense.

I wonder how accurate the MIO is with/without the chest strap on!? Even if the without is within +/- 5%, I would be pretty happy.
  • banks1850
    Options
    That makes sense.

I wonder how accurate the MIO is with/without the chest strap on!? Even if the without is within +/- 5%, I would be pretty happy.

probably depends on how strong your pulse is. You should test it out. The best way to get an even test woul probably be to wear it without a strap to bed one night, then wear it with a strap another night and compare the results. Otherwise, you would have to try to do the exact same activities twice in a row, which might be difficult.
  • timisw
    Options
    probably depends on how strong your pulse is. You should test it out. The best way to get an even test woul probably be to wear it without a strap to bed one night, then wear it with a strap another night and compare the results. Otherwise, you would have to try to do the exact same activities twice in a row, which might be difficult.

~laughing~

A lot of a one night test woudl depend on WHO I was dreaming about that night and what we were doing!

I am going to look for a few more reviews on the MIO. If I get more positive response, I might give it a try! Defintiely would be a good thing to be able to go both ways (strap and strapless)
  • timisw
    Options
    Well, going to go with the MIO Ultimate!

Can get it and a chest strap on Amazon right now for $90. Most other sites have it listed for about $140 (ebay).

The review -

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/203829/review_of_mio_ultimate_heart_rate_monitor.html

The watch -

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=0012US-CSBK/584.0.23809.23813.0.0.0

I get it either Tue or Wed! Will let you know how the results compare between strapless and strapped! ~smiling~