Safe running in the dark

Options
I just started the c25k again, and am faced with running outside in the early morning when it's still very dark. Aside from being sure I am visible, not wearing headphones, etc, I am having trouble deciding which areas would be safer to run from a strictly "female runner not wanting to be attacked" perspective. I live in a larger suburb that is pretty safe (and was voted best place to live by some magazine a few years ago, so there's that). I have two choices for the next few weeks before our indoor track opens in November:

1) Down my street (sidewalk) and back again. No streetlights (at all :huh:) but in a well-populated area. I did this this morning and since I know the area well, I had no trouble knowing where I was going. Though I did carry a pocket knife.

2) Driving to a nearby park with lit trails. Obviously the perk of this is the trails having lights, but they are also more isolated and I feel like that negates the safety of the lights. I am also not as familiar with this area.

Or would it be best to alternate, mix it up? I feel kind of silly being so paranoid but I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Any input from other early morning (or night time!) female runners would be much appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings (6:00 a.m. in the dark) at my local high school track.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have to run in the country with no street lights. Not the safest, but I just try to be very aware of my surroundings and I am always thinking about in which direction I would run if someone comes after me. ha ha . I always take my phone with me, but I like the idea of a pocket knife!!
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I don't run but I walk either early morning or late at night. My suggestion would be to do it on your street. You know the area and (assuming) you know people that live around you. Carry pepper spray. They even have animal repellant if you're approached by an animal.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I, too, have recently started the C25k program. While my neighborhood itself is pretty safe, the city that I live in is not one that I am willing to test for safety. (It doesn't help that hardly anyone keeps street lights/house lights on.)

I've found that if it's dark outside, I go to the gym to do my running on a treadmill. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but this is just what I do to feel safe.

Also, while we're on this thread -- does anyone have any recommendations for a self-defense class/book/video/tool?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    step 1. Make sure your gear isn't some dark / clingy / shade you in so when you're jogging in place on the corner and you come out from under the tree to cross the road but you were blending IN to the tree so the drivers didn't know you were there... a hi-vis reflective vest can certainly save you some pain as there's only one winner in a car vs pedestrian incident. If not a hi-vis vest (think construction zone on a highway the workers are largely in a vest, while they stand around the big piece of gear... Barring the vest how about some of the lights like bicyclists use to let drivers know you're there.

2. change it up, regularly, routines are convenient for those who are not yourself too.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Personal preference would be to stay away from the trails. I run at 5:00am so it is dark. I run my neighborhood. And my husband always knows my route. Also keep my GPS turned on for my phone, just in case.
  • jencuts15
    jencuts15 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like running close to my house because I know the area. I were a reflective vest and carry a small flashlight. I listen to music on my phone but keep it quiet enough so I can hear cars and things around me. I run on sidewalks ONLY when it is dark out and since I run on the main street in town it has sidewalks on each side...I try to stay on the one going against the traffic.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the neighborhood thing is the safest route. That way if someone does come after you, you've got a bunch of neighbors there to help and you're closer to home. On the trails, the closest thing you've got to you is your car...
    you ever heard of how Bundy got a hold of some of his victims? Yeah...

And hey, we're all a little paranoid - no worries! :drinker:
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It may be safer running through your neighborhood. Make sure you tell someone (husband, boyfriend, close friend, neighbor, etc) where you are going and bring your cell phone. If you have a dog run with him/her. I bring my cane corso running and hiking with me to protect me from people, other dogs, and coyotes. You can also bring mace/pepper spray with you. Make sure that you are proactive about it and have fun!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Recommend avoid the trails. I am starting to think trails can be a bad idea for solo runners in general, no matter the time of day. But depending on where you live it's possible something larger (and non-human) could be hanging around, and dawn/dusk are bad times for these. After stumbling on a few rattlesnakes while I was a few miles out from civilization I decided I wouldn't go so far off alone by myself on a trail anymore.

Do you work somewhere where you can change? Or have a gym membership where you can shower during the day? I am lucky in that my gym at work has showers, so during the winter when I don't have enough daylight (a couple weeks away now with the time change) I'll run during the day at work on my lunch. I also know quite a few men and women though who don't actually shower after working out at lunch so maybe you could get away with that too, I sweat too much :tongue:
  • r_keller
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I'm sure it seems obvious but it's nice to have my suspicions reinforced :) I think I'll just stick to my neighborhood and get some sort of headlamp or small light to help with my visibility to cars. And maybe check out the conditions in the other direction towards the highway. I can't wait until our indoor track opens for the winter! :happy:
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is usually my MO for running when it's dark (and now that it's dark till 7am and gets dark at 6 I have no choice):

1. Wear reflective clothing and headlamp.
    2. I make sure that someone knows my route and where I'll be
    3. I use a endomondo app so it maps my run
    4. I carry a personal alarm and pepperspray
    5. I try to be aware of my surroundings and don't make my times/routes too predictable.
    6. I try and not use headphones but sometimes music is the only thing that gets me through, so I'm guilty of this.
    7. I've taken self defense (krav magna) although the first thing you learn is that you can be overpowered if you aren't aware of your surroundings, so me being guilty of #6 negates this training to a point.
    8. Take a dog with you if you have one.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I mix my routes so that it won't be obvious which days you will find me where. I have certain 'safe' areas along the route, at about 1km intervals (filling stations, open shops, people I know).
    I rather stay in populated areas and some of the busier roads, away from open fields or trails.
    I run with a handheld pepper spray. I also do not run with an Ipod or stuff that might attract unwanted attention.
    My husband knows where and for how long I plan to run.
    I also tend to tuck my ponytail underneath my cap (which I always wear...day or night!) so that it cannot be grabbed.
    I also tend to dress "down", longer shorts, more baggy shirts.

Paranoid? Yes, but rather safe than sorry....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I briskly walk my dog every morning at 6 am. It is pitch black for almost half the year at that hour so I am well versed in exercising in the dark! I also live in a woodsy suburb with no street lights and no sidewalks.

1. I always wear a reflective coat (or vest). Mine is yellow with reflective piping that glow when car lights hit it. If you wear all dark colors you may as well be invisible to cars. Even if you wear light colors, have one piece of reflective clothing. As someone mentioned above, there is one winner in a car vs. pedestrian accident and it isn't you.

2. I always used a headlamp (I am also a hiker so I have that kind of gear, specifically I use a Black Diamond Spot Headlamp) either on my head or held in my hand like a flashlight. I have since got a new retractable leash for my dog that has an LED front facing light and a blinking red one in the back so I am now even more noticeable. Obviously you won't have that option if you don't have a dog!

3. My husband knows the routine when I leave and when I am due back so he would be quickly aware if something happened (injury or foul play).

4. NEVER wear headphones for car safety and attacker safety- be aware of your surroundings. The good news is not many people- cars or otherwise- are on the road that early in the morning.

I have been doing this for about 5 years and have gotten quite used to walking in the dark. I feel as prepared as I can be and honestly, my biggest concern is running into a large wild animal, like a bear, LOL.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am starting to run in the morning before work (6am) then hit the gym after work for lifting. I am also nervous about running in the dark by myself. I need to run with music on or I feel like I cannot keep my pace. However, I freak myself out thinking that I could not hear someone come up behind me.
    My boyfriend wants me to start running with our youngest dog (pit bull/boxer mix) because she always has alot of energy and to deter anyone from approaching me. I am still not sure...
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am out in the country (meaning no street lights at all). It's pitch black down the road and for a country road, it seems to have lots of trucks and cars driving by way too fast. I usually run after work - which is quickly approaching twilight hours. I've opted for lighter colored clothes and have a velco arm band that has reflective material as well as some LEDs in the band. It flashes while I run to alert drivers. I've also seen pedometers with flashlights and sirens built into them. I also run with my phone (it has my c25k app) so I'm always gps tracked and have the ability to call for help if needed.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think you've already made up your mind! But I agree with staying away from the isolated trail. Scary!

To the pp who is thinking about taking your dog? DO IT! good for the dog and good for you! :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am in the dark now a lot (in Oregon), if it's dark (because I am usually out at 9:00 pm) I drive to the High School track there are always people there and I feel safe. If it's dark in the morning when I leave the house I, like you tend to stay on the sidewalks in my neighborhood as I know them well.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    This is usually my MO for running when it's dark (and now that it's dark till 7am and gets dark at 6 I have no choice):

1. Wear reflective clothing and headlamp.
    2. I make sure that someone knows my route and where I'll be
    3. I use a endomondo app so it maps my run
    4. I carry a personal alarm and pepperspray
    5. I try to be aware of my surroundings and don't make my times/routes too predictable.
    6. I try and not use headphones but sometimes music is the only thing that gets me through, so I'm guilty of this.
    7. I've taken self defense (krav magna) although the first thing you learn is that you can be overpowered if you aren't aware of your surroundings, so me being guilty of #6 negates this training to a point.
    8. Take a dog with you if you have one.

I use the Flashlight app on my phone! Works really well.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i run with my mom and/or our dog. i think someone that has other people around is a good idea and mixing up the routine cant hurt.