How to cure muscle soreness?

Options
So I thought I had a really good workout yesterday, and I did, but I was busy all day long on my feet doing everything and I am just completely sore! Wanted to work out this morning but :(

Any POSITIVE suggestions on how to cure muscle soreness or recommendations on when I can work out again?

Replies

• Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on your definition of sore. Some people it means that they can't even lift their arms above their head the next day, others it's just a discomfort but you can still perform daily functions.

Best thing I have found when I have over worked my muscles is stretching and rubbing them. My legs get me more often than not, I managed to pull a muscle I didn't even know EXISTED in Pilates last week lol. While watching TV I would stretch it out, I did that with my whole body. Took a couple Ibuprofen to help with the pain, sat in the hot tub at the gym and went swimming rather than lifting weights. I didn't stop exercising, I did rest my leg for a few days after that one muscle pulled, but it was causing severe sharp pains in my leg, I opted for low impact swimming using mostly my arms.

As for working out only you will know when your body is ready to attempt what you did before. Its been 2 weeks and I still don't think I can do that Pilates class again, though this coming Saturday you best believe I am going to try.

Hope this helped a bit.
  • Lilyhiker
    Lilyhiker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found to cure muscle soreness is to walk and move. And then do a good stretch session.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I concur. Move and light stretching, and I use ice for lower back and shoulders. I've been through physical therapy for right shoulder and need to keep up with the exercises to build strength in my back. Sitting at a desk most of the day makes shoulder worse.
    I use ice after running or swimming. The key is not to over do the exercises but walk, stretch and drink water.
  • ready4fit
    Options
    ok thank you everybody! I was thinking about going to the gym to do some slow walking or maybe even the hot tub.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I push a leg day too far. The second day after is my worst. The first time I pushed adductor machine to 200 pound, it hurt to walk for a couple days. Couldn't stretch either because the muscles got so tight.
    All I could do was wait it out, and swim on the third day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    wait. tomorrow is worse.
    water. lots of it.
    heat. meh. works a little.
    ice. meh. works a little.
    ibuprofen meh. works a little.
    stretching after. too late.
    streching now. a little.
    more exercise. somewhat.
    sauna, massage. nice in any case.

If you exercise often the amount of DOMS will be less. DOMS are great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • Mojamabo
    Mojamabo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can put epsome salts in your bath water too. That usually helps. Works great for my daughter too.