Smart Phone to dumb phone

Options
I recently broke my RAZR maxx and have had to resort to using a crappy blackberry. I want to just get a cheap flip phone so I can reduce my bill because the only app I use to justify a smart phone is myfitnesspal. I doubt a flip phones browser can handle the myfitnesspal website though and they do not have a mobile friendly one. How do you all that don't have smart phones deal with this? I log my food religiously and don't feel like I could do without it.

Replies

• LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do not have a smart phone and have not ever had one. I simply log on twice a day to record my food and exercise each day. Generally I put breakfast and a preplanned lunch in then get on again after supper when I put that in and whatever exercise I do that day. It works fine as long as the internet doesn't screw up - I get it through a satellite so if the weather is bad it is sometimes iffy on being able to connect.
  • K9Mayut
    K9Mayut Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response! I think I would do fine most of the time on a day to day basis because I can preplan my meals but my problem is if I go out of town (which I do frequently) and eat on the fly or eating out I cannot browse nutrition information while I'm trying to figure out what to order.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log some foods, and update as often as reasonable.

Sometime I check in 3 or more times a day, but not for very long.

While I plan to get a smartphone, I do not think it will change my habits much. I'm used to only logging in from a hardline connection.
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I now use a pre-paid smartphone. It's great! I get unlimited talk, text, and data for $50.00. You can't beat that.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have a smart phone now but it's a Palm Pre and the mobile app isn't compatible. But I have the iPhone 5 on order! :happy: :smokin:

I'm not sure if my habits will change though. I tend to check in at work and log my breakfast and lunch, and then log my dinner and exercise in the evening.

If you're traveling, maybe just keep a written log and then transfer all the info when you get to a computer. For a few days I kept track of what I ate just on a sticky note app on my phone and then just transferred the info.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I log from my work computer during the day. At home I use my iPad. If I'm going out to eat I plan ahead and look things up before we go. If I don't get that chance, I either ask for a familiar place so I know what I can get, or I make an educated guess at what is healthy and log it when I get home.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone but I do have an older 3G iPod. The MFP app works on it very well and will sync to the website whenever I get a wifi connection. I have several other apps where I can look up calorie counts for foods at numerous restaurants and fast food outlets. You can get free wifi at many places now. When I travel, I look for coffee shops that have it and, of course, at wherever I stay. Perhaps it may be worth investing in even a used iPod and just getting a basic phone.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    iPod is a good option. Just Pre-Log in the morning and Post-Log at night to correct.

I can't live with a smartphone tbh. I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Pre-Order. I guess that makes me a Phablet user then.