working out with asthma and bad back?

Options
So I am starting out with 2 strikes against me.
Really bad asthma and a bad disc in my lower back that will require surgery in the near future.

I get in a great routine of working out and then I will have an asthma flare or my back will go out.
I know both problems will get better if I lose weight.

Help!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am also asthmatic, although mine is well controlled with medication and getting better as I lose weight. I herniated 2 discs back in November, specifically L3/L4 and L4/L5.

I am certainly no expert, but the things that have worked for me, in working with a physiotherapist who specializes in spinal rehabilitation, are core exercises that target the transversus abdominus and the multifidus muscles. I do a number of core stability exercises daily targeting these muscle groups. And I walk. A lot. Walking, or standing, offloads the spine, it's a neurtral position for your spine where sitting loads the spine because it forces your spine into flexion.

I have had a really good and surprisingly fast recovery to date. I am not back to 100% yet, but getting stronger every day. At this point I think I am out of the woods for surgery, of course that could change any time. The day I herniated, the neurosurgeon who did my consult said there was a 75%- 85% chance I'd need surgery in the near future. Good luck to you.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    Maybe you could consider starting out by changing your diet and not exercising or very light exercising (ie: walking or riding the bike at a slow-moderate pace)? And then once you have lost a bit of weight incorporate a little more exercise as you start feeling stronger?
  • catherine1979
    Options
    Exercise bikes are really bad for people with disc problems. First, they load the spine, second, they put you in flexion, and third, it's hard to stabilize your core on a bike or recumbent bike. Treadmill or an elliptical would be a much better choice for your low back.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the back, I have been fortunate to not have to deal with that. However, I do know a lot about the bad asthma. I had once gotten a packet of information (I think from the American Lung Association) that went through how Olympic Athletes and other famous athletes deal with their asthma. Here is what I do:

I build up exercise slowly ( probably feels like creeping compared to others) and listen carefully to my body.
    I push a little for a short burst to expand my lung capacity at the end of each workout.
    I drink something caffeinated and warm after each workout.

This has made it so I can go from running less than 1 minutes and going to the hospital 2-3 times a year to being able to run 7 miles and I have not had to take albuterol, steroids or go the hospital in a year.

Good Luck.
  • I have the same problem. I suffered from a herniated disc that caused sciatica -- I was out of commission for about 6 months. Luckily I didn't need surgery and slowly got better. My back goes out from time to time but is still manageable. I've had asthma since I was 8 or so, because of that I haven't been very active.

A few years ago I saw my doctor after getting a new job and finally having health insurance, and he put me on new medication. I've noticed since I've decided to get back into shape that my asthma isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when I was younger and active. I still need my rescue inhaler every once in awhile when I'm working out but not nearly as much if I wasn't on my new meds.

Walking is one of the best things you can do for a bad back, imho - and at least for me it doesn't agitate the asthma. I'm finally at the point where I can walk comfortably 4 mph and not have an asthma attack. I'm hoping to be jogging in a few months.

I would recommend light yoga. When I had my back trauma even doing basic stretching helped.

Hope this helps.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I'm finally at the point where I can walk comfortably 4 mph and not have an asthma attack. I'm hoping to be jogging in a few months.

That is great. One thing I tried and it worked was transition from walking to cycling then jogging. The cycling was a good middle ground since i went route that were relatively flat and I could build up endurance better.
  • smdevos
    smdevos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel you on the back issues. I have recurring problems with lower back, and just tweaked it again yesterday getting a little too overzealous on some sprints. I'm off to try some water aerobics now, I'm hoping that the reduced pressure from being in the water will feel good.

Other than that the only thing that has helped in the past seems to be yoga and general ab strengthening, and even this doesn't seem to eliminate the flare-ups, just reduces their frequency.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice.
    We have a neighborhood pool that didn't open last year because of financial reasons (neighborhood was sold).
    I am really hoping that they open this year and I can get in a good pool workout.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I build up exercise slowly ( probably feels like creeping compared to others) and listen carefully to my body.
    I push a little for a short burst to expand my lung capacity at the end of each workout.
    I drink something caffeinated and warm after each workout.

This has made it so I can go from running less than 1 minutes and going to the hospital 2-3 times a year to being able to run 7 miles and I have not had to take albuterol, steroids or go the hospital in a year.

Sounds just like my story.

I started, only being able to "jog" for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 15 minutes straight at my best, which was 1.25 miles for me, without having any breathing difficulties.

My progression was slow. I took years to build up.... probably a good 1.5 years. I did the Couch to 5K program and repeated weeks as necessary for my breathing.

The back thing? I don't know anything there. I hope surgery will be able to help you overcome that horrible pain. But have hope on the asthma front!

I was on daily meds -- albuterol inhaler, Advair and Singulair-- and had been hospitalized for steroid shots and breathing treatments in the past. Now -- nothing. Absolutely nothing. I keep my rescue inhaler handy, but rarely ever use it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice.
    We have a neighborhood pool that didn't open last year because of financial reasons (neighborhood was sold).
    I am really hoping that they open this year and I can get in a good pool workout.

Just so you are prepared -- the chlorine in the pool might mess with your asthma. Find out what days they dump chemicals and avoid those days. Maybe you can plan to swim the day before they chemical load the pool. :smile: Swimming is GREAT exercise, physically and "breathing-ly". :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Ugh, I feel you on the back issues. I have recurring problems with lower back, and just tweaked it again yesterday getting a little too overzealous on some sprints. I'm off to try some water aerobics now, I'm hoping that the reduced pressure from being in the water will feel good.

Other than that the only thing that has helped in the past seems to be yoga and general ab strengthening, and even this doesn't seem to eliminate the flare-ups, just reduces their frequency.

My best friend has lower back issues and SWEARS by yoga to strengthen her lower back. She does a specific yoga dvd to target the lower back. PM me if you want me to get the name of the dvd for you.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to talk them into replacing the filteration system with a saltwater system! LOL.
    I will find out when they are treating it, that is a good idea! Thank you!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Can't comment on the back issue. However:

I too have asthama, and was good for an ER visit at least once a year. Then I started running. By the time I was 4 weeks into Couch to 5K I didn't even know where my inhalers were my lung function was so much better.

I take an inhaler on my runs when the temp is below freezing. But for the most part, I have had no asthama problems since September even though I've had two colds, which previously always turned into Bronchitis.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Heya! Phoenix's friend here, here is the yoga dvd I use http://www.amazon.com/Viniyoga-Therapy-Back-Sacrum-Kraftsow/dp/B000U0C9UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1267052072&sr=8-1

I also do LIGHT weights using the machines at the gym to build core strength and it has really helped.
  • bexiesbruv
    Options
    I had a bad fall in 1982 and damaged my lower back. 10 years later I was still in pain. I saw a physiotherapist and she told me to buy a book called treat your own back by robin a mckenzie. Best thing I ever bought. Now, if I feel I have done something that might cause a low back problem, I do the "emergency" exercises, just in case. After I run I also do a few of the exercises.
    I would suggest this course of action before anything else.
    As for asthma, I have exercise induced astma and it is usually a problem in cold weather.
    Since starting a regular running program I have not even been aware of it (it was very mild anyhow) and it is totally gone.
    Best of luck but don't let your issues dictate what you can and cannot do, use a work around if you can.
    Bext of luck

Bex
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm suprised no one said it, but have you tried using your rescue inhaler before you begin exercise? I've heard this works for some .I have mild asthma, but have had significant reduction in symptoms since I started doing 30 min. of cardio a day. I had to work up to the full 30 min, though. Talk to your doctor, I'm actually lucky because my doc has asthma , too
  • arfletcher
    Options
    What about a trip to the Chiropractor? I know that they make alot of people nervouse but both myself and my S.O have had wonderful luck with the Chiropractor.

My S.O is very overweight, she also has muscular distrophy and a extra 15degree angle in her spine on her lower back. Her back was so bad that she couldnt bend down to tie her own shoes without being in so much pain that she felt like she was dying. Her doctor did x-rays and her spine has deteriorated to the point where she has bone spurs and her spine was starting to fuse, along with a herniated disc, she was also told that her only option was surgery. Instead she opted to try the chiropractor. She has been seeing a chiropractor for three months now - every three weeks or so - and the difference is CRAZY! Her energy levels are up, she has started to be able to exercise again, it was so bad that she couldnt go up a flight of stairs without having to stop because of her back, and now she can go all three flights up to our apartment without trouble. Its incredible

I know that alot of people will say "no no no!" to chiropractors - but they are like doctors - there are good ones and bad ones, you kind of have to shop around. If after a couple of visits you arent feeling any reliefe then you should be asking the chiro why or looking for someone else...

(I am a huge Chiropractic advocate - So I will argue it to anyone... I think that everyone should go to the Chiropractor at least every three months for an adjustment! So sorry if I sound a little preachy :wink: )

I also know that alot of people dont like going to the chiro for the cost - I am in Canada and our medical will actually cover a % of the cost of visits for 10 visits a year, my bennifits through work cover the rest. So you might want to look into that.

As for the asthma - try going wheat free! That has helped my asthma symtoms to the point that I havent used my inhaler in weeks! Other than that - make sure you take it easy and keep your rescue inhaler with you.... You know when your breathing is bad if you have had asthma for any length of time...

Keep at it though!! You might have to go slower - but that might not be a bad thing...
  • catherine1979
    Options
    I see a chiropractor in conjunction with a physiotherapist, it's been great. They offer complimentary therapies.

A word of caution: do not let them do an adjustment if you have a herniated a disc.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I have asthma too. I take 2 puffs of my inhaler before I workout and then I have a great workout and don't need it the rest of the time.