1200 cals/day...too little?

Options
Hey MFP, I've been on here a while now, have my cals set at net 1200/day. According to my BMI, I should be around 1600/day. But even with me usually netting 1000-1100 (after exercise) I'm not seeing as much weight loss as I would like. What do you guys think is going on? What should my calorie goal be?

Note: My primary goal is weight loss, and I do yoga and/or powerwalking every day.

Edit-Ascotton, I'm seeing about 1 lb/week on a good week...and I have a lot to lose! 50 lbs or more.

Replies

• ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How much weight loss are you seeing? How much do you have to lose?
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i would suggest you throw in some other strength training exercises along with the powerwalking an yoga.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd try upping it and see how it works. I found 1300 to work better than 1200 for me. If it doesn't work, you can always change it up again. I'd also make sure that you're getting accurate counts of food and exercise calories (using a food scale can help, as will a HRM).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It is likely too low - it sure was for me.

I used this thread to help calculate my BMR, target weight, and set my calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I eat around 1800 calories a day, sometimes more or less, depending on my exercise that day. I always net at least my BMR. Fat is steadily dropping off, and I'm well fueled for my workouts. Eating too little gives the body a reason to store fat! Check out the thread - great info there.
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dont lose eating at 1200. I lose eating about 1700.
  • primmomof3
    Options
    I have mine set at 1200 as well but eat around 1400 a day. It works better for me! I think losing 1-2 lbs a week will help you keep it off in the future...Best of luck!!!
  • rkkm29
    rkkm29 Posts: 7
    Options
    I just changed mine to 1360 today. I wasn't losing anything really on 1200 a day and I found myself to be tired all day. So, I am upping the calories to see if that helps with my workouts and my energy.