PCOS diet

Options
Hi all! I was wondering which diet best fit People with PCOS? South beach? Atkins? Paleo? And what are we supposed to do on this diet? Also, anyone on Yasmin? Weight gain or loss? Thanks for sharing!!

Replies

• Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Anyone please??
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed my doctor told me to "treat carbs like you have an allergy to them". Simplistic but, effective. I dropped 96 pounds within about 7 months (10 years ago) by eating a very limited selection of carbs but, leaving my fruits and veggies. I however went back to the "norm" and regained it all. 5 years later same yo-yo with the same diet... And here I am again lol. Honestly you don't have to follow a special diet, find a healthy way of eating that reduces empty, crappy carbs and that you can live with long term. I still eat whole grain pasta, bread and even crackers sometimes. I just cut out the chips, white breads, white rice etc and found healthier alternatives in smaller quantities. Sorry if this isn't exactly what you were hoping for but, can't comment on the "diets" much. Good luck and hope you find what fits you best.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I personally do the south beach diet. I have lost 57 pounds so far. It's slow but it is coming off.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about PCOS to say as it relates to that, but of the three Paleo is the healthiest and easiest to maintain. IMO, Southbeach relies too much on replacement treats with artificial sweeteners, Atkins done according to the newest guidelines is not bad, but there is a lot of misinformation in application and low carb isn't sustainable for everyone. Paleo can mean different things to different people and is more than just diet, but at it's core it's a focus on eating meat, fish, vegetables and fruit (Grass fed, wild caught and organic as much as possible.) and skipping all processed foods, pufa oils, grains, and dairy. Primal is the same, but allows dairy. HTH
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I say Paleo since it focuses on controlling insulin, and hormone level stabilization, along with weight loss. I'm a bit biased though since that's how I eat.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and am 42 now and have been on diets on and off my whole adult life. The only successful diets for me have trended toward lowcarb so you're on track. I was sure I had OPRAHED my metabolism into nonexistence but since following the paleo/primal style diet I feel like I've found what will work for me.I've finally made my mind up to find something I'm gonna stick with and am following this diet as close as I can. In addition to being lowcarb this diet focuses heavily on eating clean. Unprocessed, organic foods are what I'm attempting. It doesn't happen overnight and neither does the weightloss but it does work. With every tweak to my diet I am seeing a difference in the scale or clothing fit. I keep trying to remember slow progress is Still progress.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Look into the GI Diet,Glycemic Index,helps with the insulin resistence.Good Luck!:)
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    What is the PAleo diet,never heard of it?Thanks
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Since most women with PCOS have insulin resistance and are at greater risk for developing Type II DM, keeping insulin levels steady is important.

Check out the American Diabetes Assocation website: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/

They have basic guidelines and food plans to help teach you portion control. They advocated a balanced diet (especially not overdoing carbs).

I have found success by monitoring carbs, avoiding white carbs as much as possible (instead eating whole grains, quinoa, etc), eating lots of veggies and fruits. I also avoid meat and try to avoid as much dairy as possible. I realize that this is more extreme but it has helped me. If you do eat dairy/meat, I would recommend choosing organic, hormone-free options. I have found my PCOS symptoms have improved when I am not ingesting the hormones found in animal products, since my own body already has issues regulating hormones.

Hope that helps!
  • get_fit_or_die_trying
    Options
    Hello, PCOS victim here.

I basically try to cut all white carbs from my diet. Complex carbs are still okay. All white breads and pastries are out. Eat whole grains.

Basically a low GI diet is good. At least one or two fruits a day is a must. Also try to have one green vegetable in a day. Don't have any kind of red meat and avoid all kinds of processed foods. Make or buy fresh produce.

Also avoid preservatives, food coloring or flavoring or any other such chemicals added to food to make it look/taste better or last longer.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Miss jensfitpal201, Check out http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html for the general guidelines. A lot of people refer to it as the caveman diet. He ate animals, fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, all unprocessed, of course. Generally anything before agriculture began.
  • CandyDiehardBAMF
    CandyDiehardBAMF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Funny that dairy without hormones, etc was brought up... I have PCOS and tried different dairy over a year ago and found symptoms improved when I switched to organic skim. Never put PCOS and that together, I was diagnosed at 18. Interesting to read no carbs recommended for PCOS.

My dr at the time gave me a brochure and told me I'd probably not have kids. Well, I have a kid now but have had massive problems with my monthly. Interesting thread, getting me thinking, about to read more about it =)
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    Nance,Thanks for the website,sounds like I pretty much eat this way now,but I will check out the details in the article.
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had my PCOS diagnosis for many years now and have always struggled. A lot of the other posters have you given you great information. I've had luck being on Metformin and Birth control for controlling symptoms and helping with infertility ( I have 2 boys). I was able to lose weight well in the past when I did weight watchers. However, now that I'm in my 30's it no longer worked. I found a book through one of my MFP friends called "The Metabolism Miracle" that I am finding so helpful (even though the title is lame ;). It does start low carb and then adds back in certain carbs based on the glycemic index. Good luck!
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate them!