Just had a baby a month ago need to loose weight. Help!

Options

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Congratulations to you for your sweet little baby bundle! I suggest you take it slow. Your body is still recovering from birth not sure if you're nursing. So follow the calorie goals here, add in some exercise and you will do just fine, as you feel more energetic and less sleep deprived then I suggest adding more intensidty to your owkr outs. What kinds of things are you interested in? Do you have a gym membership or home equipment? :flowerforyou:
  • meliamom
    Options
    Congrats! My daughter will be a month old at the end of this week as well. The day I got out of the hospital I started using MFP. The first week I did a lot of walking and just recently starting running. I had about 40 pounds to lose after the baby. It helps not to focus on the big number, but to aim for weekly and daily goals. Good luck. Be patient. It will come off. :)
  • sgsnow79
    sgsnow79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby!

While I still call my extra weight "baby weight," my little man is nearly two! However, the thing I wish I'd done in those first few months?? Go EASY on myself...I was in such a rush to lose weight quickly that I made myself miserable during an already difficult/challenging time...

I recommend just focusing on taking good care of yourself, getting plenty of sleep when you can, eating as healthfully as possible, and taking your precious baby on walks in the stroller (if its cold where you are, indoor malls are a great place to start!)

Most importantly, know that the weight will come off if you go slow and focus on the health of you and your baby first...

Good luck!
  • THuffers
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks postpartum so I know exactly where you are at! Remember to count calories (add 400-500 if you are breastfeeding!) and take it slow right now. Wait till your doctor or midwife gives the all clear before you do too much exercising. Right now would be a good time to start walking with your baby. I found that 15 minute walks to start made me feel great and I've been working to make them longer. I used either a sling to carry my baby or the stroller to push her. Add 5-10 minutes every day if you can! Also look up some floor exercises that you can do right now (my What to Expect... book had a few suggestions) and don't forget to do Kegels!

Once my doctor approved exercise, I started using a postnatal workout DVD I found. There are many on the market (Target and Amazon have several on their websites) but finally chose Lindsay Brin's Post Natal Boot Camp. I did my first workout to it two days ago. I have never done a workout DVD/tv program before so I felt a little silly, but I felt better after doing it and I think it will help. I bought my on Amazon but I know you can find it other places online. Maybe you can find one you like too! There are even some that are Mommy and Baby, so you can even do them with your baby awake and get him/her involved.

Congrats on your baby and good luck! Add me as a friend if you want and we can do help encourage each other throughout this progress. :-D
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
    Nothing is better than having a precious little baby in the house!
    Definitely take it slow,eat as healthy and clean as possible,get lots of rest and stay within your numbers-you will lose the baby weight..The best advice I ever got was sleep when the baby sleeps:smile:
    Good luck!
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Hi and Congrats on the baby Take it slow if you are like me I got no where near enough sleep in that 1 st mo. Heck my little girl is 8 mo old and I still don't get a full night sleep. But just eat healthy and start with walks your body has had a toll taken on it. And the wight will come off.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    Congrats :)

I agree with the previous posters take it easy, you can start with eating right (add 400-500 calories if BFing) and walking is always good. Remember your not going to get alot of sleep so you need to take it easy in the begining. I found I pushed myself a little to hard in the begining and had alot of bleeding (sorry guys for TMI) So enjoy your little one and take it slow. If its nice where you live you can looking to local moms groups and see if they have some sort of stroller fitness class (sometimes you can find a city program) where they walk, run, do squats lunges ect. And you get to meet other moms in your area, and spend time with your baby at the same time

Have fun!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on having a baby!
  • les0423
    Options
    First off, congrats on your little one. I just had my first baby about 10 months ago. I was not one of the lucky moms whose baby weight comes right off. This site is amazing and everyone is so supportive. Good luck in your weight loss journey!