Organic? or no?

Options
I've been trying to stick mostly to fruits and veges since I started this health kick
and I've been buying a lot of organic ones, simply because I hate going to a billion stores
and only one store around here has kombucha, sooo I just get the rest of my food at that place...
I know its cheaper to not do organic
but is it better for you in the long run?

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would try to adhere to this list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would try to adhere to this list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

thank you very much :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    in terms of body comp it wont make a difference... in terms of helping the environment, it probably wont make a difference either.. in terms of hurting your wallet, definately will make a difference.
  • slenderbecky
    Options
    I buy organic produce unless the price is just ridiculous. I'm willing to fork over an extra 10 or 20 cents/pound, but not an extra $2/pound!

I also find the dirty dozen list helpful. Regardless of price, I just can't bring myself to eat a non-organic apple. Luckily I live in Washington and I can get organic, locally grown apples for pretty cheap 9 months out of the year.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels differently about the importance or necessity of organics. Personally, my family eats all organic. Even if it means we have to pinch pennies elsewhere and cook all of our food. We are by no means rich, but we have made it a priority because we firmly believe that if you don't pay for it now in quality, non GMO food, you pay for it later in medical costs.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would only be interested in organic leafy greens all other items I will simply wash and skin. Buying everything organic is not required.
  • chocolate_moose
    chocolate_moose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally speaking, it doesn't make a difference, but organic fruits and veggies are not sprayed with chemicals. So it's really a personal choice. Just wash your fruits and veggies really well.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I personally eat organic, but if you're worried about cost I would pick and choose what to eat. If you eat meat or dairy, I think organic is the most important since regular is FULL of hormones.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Wash your produce before consuming and you should be fine. I always wash mine simply out of concern with the fact who knows who has been touching it with what germs between being harvested, transported, handled, and displayed at the store.

The benefit of organic is simply not having to worry about the sheer remote chance that you are the 1/100,000,000 that will keel over and die from some remotely trace chemical that is designed specifically to kill a specific insect without harming the produce at all.

The downside to organic is the cost. If that is not an issue for you at all, then no real downside.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I had food allergies, etc. then I would...but I don't. They are more costly. Have there really been any dynamic studies regarding eating organic vs regular food. From what I've seen only difference is in the pocket book. People buy organic but cook the food the same way, so you're still putting oils, butter, etc...on this so called healthier meat and veges. At least that is how I see it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    "Organic" is such a joke. The standards for what is deemed organic is laughable. The fact that a company can deem their chicken as "free range" simply because they had a tiny box out in the sun to scratch around in for a few minutes a day goes to show what the government standards for labeling things are.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    in terms of body comp it wont make a difference... in terms of helping the environment, it probably wont make a difference either.. in terms of hurting your wallet, definately will make a difference.

this guy nailed it
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Probably not better for you.
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels differently about the importance or necessity of organics. Personally, my family eats all organic. Even if it means we have to pinch pennies elsewhere and cook all of our food. We are by no means rich, but we have made it a priority because we firmly believe that if you don't pay for it now in quality, non GMO food, you pay for it later in medical costs.

that's kind of what I was thinking,
    I don't have insurance,
    so i've been doing as much as I can healthwise through food
    again, just wondering if organic is worth it
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat both I guess. I won't go out of my way for organic unless I'm picking up at the farmer's market.

I'm in no way and organic food lover in the grocery stores though. I find the taste often suffers as my ex would always try and sneak them in.

but farmer's market or local garden? You can't beat that.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Local first
    Then Organic
    If I have to out of state
    Some fruits require import, but only a few.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly believe all the lies regarding GMOs feeding the world? In my research, you should avoid them at all costs, especially soft-skinned fruit and vegetables, as these are sprayed with millions of pounds of chemicals. It's been said that organics are not superior but when my body has to fight chemicals instead of gathering nutrients, organics are definitely superior.

There is a movie showing online for free this week and sponsored by Nutiva. It's a real eye-opener. I highly suggest it to everybody who eats GMO foods without blinking an eye.

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have a list that tells me which organic purchases matter the most, otherwise no.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't a case of "Organic" or "Non-organic" but of "Local" vs. "Shipped In". I buy local as much as I possibly can, since it's apt to have more nutrients.

There was a study that has just caught a lot of media attention lately stating that the organic foods do not have more nutritional value, and the "pesticides" that the non-organic foods have is very miniscule. Personally, I'd prefer NO pesticides, so I do buy organic (local) as much as possible.