What to log my exercise as?

Options
When I do my weight training, I literally go from one exercise to the next, fast as possible, doing like arms, legs, abs, etc. Not working the same muscle group twice in a row. Would I log this as circuit training or just weight training?

Replies

• the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Anyone? :3
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log any strength training as cardio training. Strength training is to encourage fat loss over muscle loss, build muscle, and to tone the body. It is not meant to be the primary calorie burner in my opinion.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I used to log it in as circuit training until I got a HRM. The circuit training option had much higher calories than I actually burned.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I workout the same way. A circuit of 4 or 5 exercises, rest for about 90 seconds, repeat, rest, repeat.
    If i log it, i use weight training or circuit training under the cardiovascular tool. But i don't worry about eating back exercise calories either.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I used to log it in as circuit training until I got a HRM. The circuit training option had much higher calories than I actually burned.

See, that's what I'm concerned of is overestimating my calories!
  • mandyluse
    mandyluse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia Fit (bodymedia.com) and it tells me my calories burned and sleep cycle and everything. I always "guessed" the amount of calories I burned based on what the database said and was always way off...not alwasy too much, but too little too. It is just so different for every person. They use it on The Biggest Loser so I assume it is probably the best thing to use to determine.

I dont eat my calorie burn calories either, I just stick to my 1200 c a day, but if you are going to, you might want to invest in something like that...

Good Luck!! :smile:
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log any strength training as cardio training. Strength training is to encourage fat loss over muscle loss, build muscle, and to tone the body. It is not meant to be the primary calorie burner in my opinion.
    The Way you are doing your strength training, it IS cardio as well. If You are doing full body circuits like you are, it puts you in an oxygen deficit, EPOC, and you will burn WAY more fat than typical cardio. I also throw in one day a week of cardio without weights as HIIT. I have dropped 14 pounds and 8% body fat in 2 months doing this.
    I make sure to switch out a couple of the exercises every could of weeks, or I may even do like an arms and shoulders day fit one of my workouts just to mix it up.
    The Main thing is, you should be breathing really friggin hard for damned bear the whole workout.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    The Way you are doing your strength training, it IS cardio as well. If You are doing full body circuits like you are, it puts you in an oxygen deficit, EPOC, and you will burn WAY more fat than typical cardio. I also throw in one day a week of cardio without weights as HIIT. I have dropped 14 pounds and 8% body fat in 2 months doing this.
    I make sure to switch out a couple of the exercises every could of weeks, or I may even do like an arms and shoulders day fit one of my workouts just to mix it up.
    The Main thing is, you should be breathing really friggin hard for damned bear the whole workout.

So just log it as strength training/weight training right? :)