Hair for Halloween Costume

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
I need to find a pink and red hair dye that is bright, but will still wash-out easily.

Any suggestions, brands, or stores you can recommend?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Bump. No one?
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it and don't know where to look, but here's a link to something called Streekers.

http://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/style-blog/bright-hair-dye

Comes in lots or bright colors and says it shampoos out.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    It might not be bright enough since you are starting with dark hair, but when I was a teenager I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid all the time. Washes out VERY easily. Just the packet and some water and then soak your hair in there for awhile.
  • FittyForLife
    FittyForLife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SPLAT! Hair dye (I use this one)
    Manic Panic
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Any of those colored hair sprays they sell at CVS, Duane Reade, or any other pharmacy and costume store works. They are usually $2.99-$3.99 a can.

I sprayed my hair this bright candy apple colored red last year. I tlooked great and washed out in the shower. A tip though, be careful not to cake on the spray on your scalp because that took longer to wash out. My boyfriend went crazy layering on the color to my hair and if he avoided my scalp it would have been easier. Red was on my scalp for days as opposed to my hair that was its normal brown.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The spray on hair dyes used to be pretty good! x
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one with your beautiful dark hair...maybe a cool wig?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Since you have dark hair, the spray on type is your only option. You'd have to bleach your hair for a dye to show at all.

Target, drug stores, or any Halloween store should have them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    It might not be bright enough since you are starting with dark hair, but when I was a teenager I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid all the time. Washes out VERY easily. Just the packet and some water and then soak your hair in there for awhile.

It's not for me. It's for my kids. They are sandy blonde.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Th sprays will make your hair feel and look horrible. They make it very stiff and disgusting.

If you use a demi-permanent dye it will still take a few weeks to fade (Raw is the bomb if you're seeking something like that)

Your best bet is a wig or clip ins. Nobody ever looks good with that nasty spray in junk.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

It's not for me. It's for my kids. They are sandy blonde.

oh, if it's for a young kid then go for a spray in. Like I said before they don't *look* amazing, but it will color their hair and wash out very quickly. They'll need conditioner afterwards!
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    SPLAT! Hair dye (I use this one)
    Manic Panic

These provide great color but will not wash out.
  • Casshileman
    Options
    Kool-aid works pretty good. Watch out though if your hair getting wet (if it rains) it will run.
    The spray stuff can actually stain your hair, so beware with those also.

I have light blonde hair. I did a couple streaks of hot pink one Halloween. I still had pink streaks at Thanksgiving!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    *sniff* hair... *sniff*
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    *sniff* hair... *sniff*

You get to save the hassle of trying to hide your real hair and sporting all of the awesome halloween wigs with ease. :P

Plus you can ride in the car with the windows down without 8lbs of hair whipping you in the face *shakes fist*
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

unfortunately, that doesn't work so well on dark hair... I did it as a teen, too. Or, tried....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its best to get the spray on and spray it on to your hairstyle - the dyes dont show up as well on dark hair :(
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    You can chalk it. Or you can use the spray, go to Sally's Beauty Store or Hot Topic (they have washable hair dye)