Changes you have made

Options
Since January 2012 I have drunk nothing but water or green tea. (Apart from the exception of protein shakes/shakes then i have them with milk) but other than that its just water or green tea, ... I don't know what made me do this but now I don't even think about needing anything apart from them. the thought of something fizzy turns my stomach.
I do however feel so much better with myself and feel that this has helped a lot with my weight loss.

Has anyone else made dramatic changes to their lifestyle ?

Replies

• Sharlaew
    Sharlaew Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gave up all fizzy drinks. I used to love diet sodas. I gave them up in June. The other day I bought one while I was out running errands and after two sips, I was done. Didn't want any more!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have to give up things high in acid just decided would not believe how many thing that involves!
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Yes I gave up diet sodas and the refined sugars. I use Stevia for everything. I drink water mainly, or green tea and my protein shakes. Also love to make kool aid using stevia and that is a big treat for me now LOL
  • simplythefreakingbest
    Options
    I eat more regularly and healthier options ! I find if I don't plan my meals it gets to dinner time I've not eaten and I'm starving so end up eating loads of unhealthy quick to hand food!

I also run up the stairs now and do the microwave olympics (do something active whil your waiting for it to ping!!) my girls love I got to 80 jumping jacks the other day!! haha :)
  • misstrude
    misstrude Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i gave up table sugar, i use honey or agave nectar
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Since January 2012 I have drunk nothing but water or green tea. (Apart from the exception of protein shakes/shakes then i have them with milk) but other than that its just water or green tea, ... I don't know what made me do this but now I don't even think about needing anything apart from them. the thought of something fizzy turns my stomach.
    I do however feel so much better with myself and feel that this has helped a lot with my weight loss.

Has anyone else made dramatic changes to their lifestyle ?

I gave up all protein shakes and supplements. I just take vitamin supplements for various aging issues (I'm almost 52 so yeah age happens). I eat all real food and get my protein from meat, poultry, fish, yogurt, cottage cheese, and PB2. I had to cut out sugar due to low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and diabetes risk (I can eat them as occasional treats). I've found I feel better without the sugar in my diet. Mainly the biggest change is learning to eat within a calorie budget (I've been maintaining for over a year now). And I learned to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. I've learned that you can't out exercise too many calories. I ran marathon after marathon and lifted weights for over 30 years while I continued to pack on the lbs. It didn't seem like I was eating too much. I never pigged out, binged, or did any emotional eating. I didn't realize how tiny I was until I lost the 60 lbs. When you are tiny you need less calories than big people, even when just maintaining. So a big change for me was learning I need less calories than those around me.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've made major change after major change.

The first one was I stopped drinking soft drinks.

That made a huge difference so I took it a step farther and gave up granulated sugar. That put me drinking water (I don't care for drinks like crystal light, etc.,) and it also did away with most sweets....although I now have a different opinion of a sweet treat (grapes are a sweet treat to me now.)

Then I went onto doing away with MSG....that lead to me quitting processed foods (because the MSG is hidden in the labels in so many ways.) The change for the better in my health is nothing short of astonishing, thanks to this change.

Next, our son the doctor educated us on the truth about High Fructose Corn Syrup. No HFCS for me.

Then I was still using Truvia, a stevia based artificial sweetener made by the coca cola company. You guessed it. Gone.

About the only added sweetener I still consume is in Dannon's Light & Fit Yogurt, of which I eat 4 ounces of it each day. That's not much.

A couple of months ago I started eating eggs only occasionally. My cholesterol intake was sky high, although I have never tested with high blood cholesterol levels. I just thought it would be wise.

I've made these steps one at a time and I'm the better for it. My current diet is quite healthy. Once I'm no longer looking to take off weight, I will add more healthy fats (high in calories) to my diet. This is the one place I feel my diet lacks perfection.
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In June of 2012 I gave up fizzy drinks. In July of 2012 I gave up refined sugar, all flour; meaning anything that has flour in it on it or around it :) and in August of 2012 I gave up beef and dairy (except for 2 teaspoons of half and half in my coffee...must have coffee)
    I have lost about 30 pounds and 20 inches off of my body since July 9, 2012. I went from a size 22 down to an 18 and from a 3x shirt down to an xl. I also started exercising 5 times a week, walking, wall push ups, jump rope and I added walking down hills about 3 weeks ago. Trust me when I say this, I might have made many changes in my life but I have gained so much more!
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I gave up all protein shakes and supplements. I just take vitamin supplements for various aging issues (I'm almost 52 so yeah age happens). I eat all real food and get my protein from meat, poultry, fish, yogurt, cottage cheese, and PB2. I had to cut out sugar due to low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and diabetes risk (I can eat them as occasional treats). I've found I feel better without the sugar in my diet. Mainly the biggest change is learning to eat within a calorie budget (I've been maintaining for over a year now). And I learned to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. I've learned that you can't out exercise too many calories. I ran marathon after marathon and lifted weights for over 30 years while I continued to pack on the lbs. It didn't seem like I was eating too much. I never pigged out, binged, or did any emotional eating. I didn't realize how tiny I was until I lost the 60 lbs. When you are tiny you need less calories than big people, even when just maintaining. So a big change for me was learning I need less calories than those around me.

I eat a high protein diet, too, and I get it from natural sources, too. I tried the protein shakes, but I couldn't deal with the fact that they're highly processed. I didn't have to deal with it anyway because like you I get it from the sources you mentioned and also beans.

And while I'm at it, you've done a wonderful job. You look fantastic.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    2 changes: I went from never exercising to exercising 4-6x/week. I went from eating randomly to eating mindfully.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Omg so many....september 9th 2012...I stop eating junk (none at all), i'm counting and checking everything i eat.
    I take more fruits and veggies everyday, I train 6 days a week,sometime 7...... It's a 100% dedication process.
  • Kitkat_58
    Kitkat_58 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have given up sweet tea, Pepsi, sugar, fast food and 4 to 5 lattes a week. Now I drink water, and green tea. I do allow myself 1 nonfat sugar free latte a week, I have a standing coffee date with three good friends every Sunday morning. I am feeling so much better and seeing good results in the weight loss area. I am also exercising more, I haven't been totally consistent yet but any is much better then none at this point! Baby steps!
  • iluvlabbies
    iluvlabbies Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have made several changes to my lifestyle that have helped me quite a bit. I'm 52 and pretty healthy overall, no significant health issues that I had concerns over (besides needing to loss the fat).

First, I exercise 5-6 days per week. Right now I'm doing Chalean Extreme 5 days and 1 day a live TurboKick class. I track my progress on TeamBeachbody site and through a fitness tracker at work. Building more lean muscle makes me feel and look better. I know I'm getting stronger each day.

Second, I try to drink more water 6-8 glasses a day and limit the number of carbonated beverages. When I work out for kickboxing or lifting weights, it's not a problem to drink water. My problem has been at the office so I always keep some Crystal Light on the go packets in my desk and flavor the water when I feel like I cannot drink it plain.

Third, I record and track what I eat - that has been a huge help. I keep MFP up up work and also on my Android phone to record. It helps with cutting down on the "mindless eating" I had succumbed to before.

Fourth, I try to eat 4-5 small meals a day and ALWAYS have breakfast, usually a protein shake, omelet, or steel cut oats. Snacking has been problematic for me so breaking down the calorie counts to these meals has helped a lot.

Last, I got my husband involved with he and encouraged him to cut back as well. We weigh in each week together and track our progress. He has become more knowledgeable about calorie counts and fat grams, the importance of protein, the need to move every day, and more. It is great to have him as my biggest cheerleader throughout this journey.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Juice. The amount of carbs in juice makes it prohibitive for me now. I used to love cranberry/pomegranate juice. Haven't had any since I came to MFP. But I do miss it.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I gave up tobacco and less beer.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeinated drinks. I also gave up refined sugars, meat, dairy, and any other animal products. Best decisions I ever made in my life!!!
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have given up soda and I use to have a coca cola at least 3 times a day (unless I have a tummy ache and will get a diet 7up, which is very rare), I don't eat donuts or baked pastries anymore (that was a hard one for me), I went from baking nestle toll house cookies a few days a week to maybe once a month, now if I could only give up potato chips (but atleast it's not everyday like it used to be, now maybe 2 days a week).
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I guess the most major change is exercising 5 days a week. As far as my diet goes, I haven't given anything up completely. I've just cut way back on a lot of things and cut my portion sizes down. I don't think I would be sticking to it if I cut anything out completely.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    2 changes: I went from never exercising to exercising 4-6x/week. I went from eating randomly to eating mindfully.

This exactly
  • yougojo170
    Options
    I gave up bread, pasta, and rice. 3 things I thought I could never give up! I'm so proud of myself. And I feel so much better. My next big step is to drink only water and green tea. I like to challenge myself a little at a time until a good habit becomes permenant.