CALORIES NOT STATED ON FOOD I TRY TO ADD!?

Options
okay, so there are some foods here in australia that are not on the database. so when ever i try to add them, i follow the nutritional information on the pack, however, our food does not always tell us how many calories are in a product. therefore, i was wondering how people came to calculate the calories for the food?

there have been some foods that i have found on the data base, that i know for a fact dont state the calories in their nutritional information, but someone has been able to add them!
Please help me so that i can add food and know that i have put the correct amount of calories :)

Thanks

Replies

• jsjaclark
    Options
    In the US, companies are required as part of nutritional labeling to put calorie and other nutritional information on the packaging so that is how I know how many calories.

For recipes that I am not sure of the calories, there are websites that help compute the calories (do a search on calorie calculators and many will come up).
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I believe the following will apply if the label contains this information.

Carbohydrates and Proteins = 5 calories/1gram
    Fat = 9 calories/1gram

It may not be exact, but should be close.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Does it give you energy in kiloJules (kJ)? If so use an online calculator to do the conversion.

@rlinson, 9:1 for fat and 4:1 for the other 2. Just saved yourself a calorie! ;-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I believe the following will apply if the label contains this information.

Carbohydrates and Proteins = 5 calories/1gram
    Fat = 9 calories/1gram

It may not be exact, but should be close.

Actually, Carbs and Proteins are 4 calories/1 gram, not 5. Just google "calories per gram."
  • samii13
    Options
    thanks guys!!!! ill test it out! :)