CALORIES? CARBS? FAT? SUGAR? SODIUM? WHATS YOUR FOCUS?

Options
Hi all,
I was just wondering what you pay more attention to, calories, carbs, fat, sodium or sugar.

The reason I ask is because I'm finding it impossible to keep under all the categories. I may be under in the calorie department but over in other areas. Sometimes I think that it's only calories that really count, but I know that isn't the case. I just get frustrated sometimes when I'm under in cals and see that stupid "red" writing telling me that I'm actually over! (haha)

What do you think/do?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories but I try to focus on carbs and sugars.... one category that I find it almost impossible to stay in the green is sodium.... however, I try to watch that too. Another thing, sugars may be elevated if you're eating a lot of fruit. I don't think I've been in the green under all of my categories once.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    PROTEINNNN!
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I really tend to track calories, fat and sodium. I eat a lot of fruit and I always tend to be over on sugar, and carbs, with my diet now, I tend to not eat as many as I did before anyways.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on sugar and over on sodium about half of the time (mainly when I eat out) - the red drives me crazy too. I focus on calories, protein, carbs and fat - trying to keep those in line - and let the rest be what it'll be.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Calories, and making sure I hit my protein.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Calories... Give me more of them nomnomnomnom
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i try to keep sugar,carbs,calories and sodium under control. sugar is the biggie to keep under control but since i have been doing that i have lost. Also get some exercise in too.
  • smnassise
    smnassise Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, CALORIES. That being said, intake too much sodium and you can definitely hold onto a few ounces a day/week that you might not otherwise.
    I've been pretty successful so far, and I noticed my best weeks are when I'm under my calories, slightly under on my carbs, and slightly over on my protein.
    Lather rinse repeat...
    And good luck...8 pounds in a couple months is terrific!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Calories, and making sure I hit my protein.
    ^^ Ditto
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Calories: a target that a hit within 10
    Protein and fat: I don't go by mfp numbers, I try to hit minimums that I have in my head
    Carbs: whatever is left over
    Sugar/sodium: don't care
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    My main problems are calories and sodium. Anything else I rarely go over and I'm not too concerned about. I used to worry about sugar but since I've stopped eating a lot of refined sugar and sweets and get most of my sugar from fruits I don't count it anymore because even if I have just fruit I'm always over on my sugar.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Calories. :smile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just focus on calories. I also sort of watch my macros (55 carbs/30 fat/15 protein). I also try to eat plenty of fiber.
  • davepavone
    Options
    low carb high protein
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering what you pay more attention to, calories, carbs, fat, sodium or sugar.

The reason I ask is because I'm finding it impossible to keep under all the categories. I may be under in the calorie department but over in other areas. Sometimes I think that it's only calories that really count, but I know that isn't the case. I just get frustrated sometimes when I'm under in cals and see that stupid "red" writing telling me that I'm actually over! (haha)

What do you think/do?
    Any suggestions?

I don't worry about any of it except getting enough protein. A calorie deficit or budget is all that matters.

Seriously, all that matters is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Making it too complicated is setting yourself up for failure. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, enough protein (not extra), it does not have to be perfect. Fat cells don't care about clean, but you feel better and perform better the cleaner you eat.

Exercise is only to make your lean body mass pretty for when the fat is gone. You will lose fat faster than you will build muscle so exercise asap and keep it up. Especially weight training. Weight training gives you the best bang for your buck when it comes to shaping a nice body.

Other than that only if you have specific health issues, some people need to watch sodium, I have to watch sugar and carbs because of low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and diabetes risk. Some people have gluten intolerance. I'm allergic to chicken eggs, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein are the only things I really look at each day. On the weekends though, I will look at the report for the week, and then each month, I do a "MFP Month End" report. (:laugh:) I enter it all in a spreadsheet and compare to previous months to make sure my averages are on track and make any adjustments.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    In order of importance: Calories, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Cholest., Sodium, Sugar
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    My family , the diet comes second.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At first all I focused on was calories but now that I've gotten used to eating better and working out I focus on the other stuff too. I always try to stay under on sodium (though when I eat out it doesn't always happen). I try to eat all of my protein (have been going over lately b/c I'm trying to cut out grains). I've also been trying to not eat so much sugar which has been really hard b/c I love my fruit and yogurt.