post workout snack

Options
is this a good post workout snack?

1 cheddar rice cake--> 45 cals @ 2:00 pm
laughing cow queso cheese wedge--> 35 calories
(i only spread half of the wedge on the rice cake.. it was so delicious i just tried it today!)
then i had some frozen blueberries

the rest of my day so far has looked like this

weight control maple and brown sugar oatmeal with a little skim milk--> 160 cals @7:45 am
1 cup of fruit salad (grapes, pineapple, watermelon, strawberries) --> 100 cals @10:00 am
1 piece of whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp of Peanut butter, 1 banana cut up on top and some shredded almonds---> 300 cals @11:45

after my workout, i will have a chobani yogurt with raisins--> 200 cals @4-5:00 pm
Then for dinner i will have a salad with grilled chicken and lite red wine vin and all sorts of veggies!--> 300 cals @7-8:00 pm

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is good to have post workout protein (preferably something with casein and whey) to help your muscles repair. Whether it's a dinner or a protein drink like EAS.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It is good to have post workout protein (preferably something with casein and whey) to help your muscles repair. Whether it's a dinner or a protein drink like EAS.

aww crap
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Hmmm... Are you on a vegan diet?

And, if I understand this correctly... You're taking in ~1,300 calories a day and burning between 800 - 900 on the stairmaster / elliptical, netting about 400-500 calories? What is / are your goal(s) at the moment-- simply to lose weight? To tone? Build muscle?

As far as post-workout snack, the Chobani yogurt has protein in it (~15 g.) and is a good source, considering they typically have only 160 calories / serving. Hardboiled eggs, steak tips, or chicken breast make for a good post-work options.

EDIT: I should've added... Personally, for post workout snacks, I like a banana or a handful of almonds. Both keep me full and provide me with 'healthy' calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Actually, after some more research, it may not effect recovery so much but can improve total energy expended. I will note, this is all based on you gettng enough calories to fuel your body and reserve lean body mass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997003
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    My favorite is 1.5 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk mixed with 1 scoop chocolate or vanilla protein powder. I like Optimum Nutrition 100% natural oats and whey.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My trainer says at least 20 grams of protein. I usually have a protein bar that's about 200 calories.