Missed periods?

Options
Anyone have missed/ irregular periods now that they're losing weight? I am a couple of weeks late and can't figure out if I'm taking in too few calories, but I have upped my calories, cholesterol and fats. So hopefully it'll help!
For anyone who was missing periods and got them back, how long did it take?

Replies

• RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That's probably not good. I have to say I have been regular my entire life. 28 days exactly and since dieting I am more like every 26. But I amalso getting older and our bodies change. Being that late can't be a good sign.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that this can be caused by malnourishment.

Did you test for the obvious? :wink:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My periods went away when I was working out too much and not eating enough, especially not eating enough fat, since fat and hormones and closely related. Once I started seeing a nutritionist and working more fat and calories back into my diet, and backed off of my workouts, my periods came back pretty quickly.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    my diary is public now, so take a peek and let me know if you think something's up
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Mine comes when it comes. I can go for months at a time and not have one. Then I'll have one and it'll be like a normal regular cycle. I need to go to the doctor and check to see if this is a serious matter or not.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you're not pregnant and you don't have PCOS or if you haven't been starving yourself then see a doctor.
  • mdmortimore
    Options
    I missed a period when I first started working out... but it wasn't related to working out! I was pregnant. I know it's possible to miss a period and not be pregnant, because that is what I was thinking happened to me.

Good Luck :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive never missed a period
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I havent lost that much, but for some reason when I started losing weight, I didnt get my period anymore.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive never missed a period

Oops...My bad I just did.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is the number 1 cause for missed periods... Aside from that, it can happen to very athletic women when their body fat percentage gets very low, can also happen to people with severe eating disorders. Its also possible to have irregular periods if you are morbidly obese or have an endocrine problem. If you are typically regular and it doesn't show up soon, I would suggest seeing a doctor.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    absolutely! I tend to get my period 1-4 days early when I'm losing or gaining weight!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am experiencing this. I've amped up my workouts since being on here and right now I'm eating more than 1700 a day and not starving at all, just exercising more than I have and more intense. I'm not trying to lose weight either now, just maintain. I haven't had my period since July and I know I'm not pregnant. I went to the dr. today and had bloodwork done. She's going to see me at the end of the month to discuss my results.
    Can't say I miss it though- it's been nice!
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look fairly lean in your profile pic. If this is ongoing, I'd seek medical advice. Once you lean down a certain percentage, like a lot of competitive athletes, you will lose your period because your body fat is that low. Figure out why, then decide if it's a problem.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor about why you aren't getting your period. It could be malnutrition, it could be that you aren't eating enough foods with Iron!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who have missed periods for months at a time because they were working out too vigorously for their reproductive systems to handle. For both of them, they talked it over with their doctors and were cleared to continue their workouts. Since then, they've both slowed the hard hitting workouts and their periods have come back.

I hate to reiterate what others have undoubtedly already said, but I think it'd be best to see your physician, just to check in.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    @OP How often do you work out? How many calories are you burning in a day?
  • purduegurl18
    Options
    I have always been irregular and my doctor has advised that since we havn't found anything wrong through testing, that it is most likely to do with my weight. I haven't heard of the opposite like you are discribing though.

If you have always been regular and it has suddenly changed with the weight loss, you may want to see your doctor. Your hormones could be fluctuating due to the weight loss. That is one possible theory, but again, you may want to see your doctor if this is unusual for you.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I'm def gonna see my dr to see what's up, but I'm a worry wort, so I thought I would see if anyone has had similar experiences.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Mine actually got regular from being on my schedule...well, regular within a few days that is! :-)