CALORIES? CARBS? FAT? SUGAR? SODIUM? WHATS YOUR FOCUS?

Options

Replies

• CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My focus is on Sodium and Sugar because they are the most out of control for me. If I don't monitor them I'm over everyday.
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I pay a great deal attention to sodium as I retain a great deal of fluid in my legs. I read the other day that MFP has protein set too low & that some people are resetting the allowed amount. If the red numbers really bother you & you feel ok with a little more protein you can also reset your amount.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering what you pay more attention to, calories, carbs, fat, sodium or sugar.

The reason I ask is because I'm finding it impossible to keep under all the categories. I may be under in the calorie department but over in other areas. Sometimes I think that it's only calories that really count, but I know that isn't the case. I just get frustrated sometimes when I'm under in cals and see that stupid "red" writing telling me that I'm actually over! (haha)

What do you think/do?
    Any suggestions?

I don't worry about any of it except getting enough protein. A calorie deficit or budget is all that matters.

Seriously, all that matters is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Making it too complicated is setting yourself up for failure. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, enough protein (not extra), it does not have to be perfect. Fat cells don't care about clean, but you feel better and perform better the cleaner you eat.

Exercise is only to make your lean body mass pretty for when the fat is gone. You will lose fat faster than you will build muscle so exercise asap and keep it up. Especially weight training. Weight training gives you the best bang for your buck when it comes to shaping a nice body.

Other than that only if you have specific health issues, some people need to watch sodium, I have to watch sugar and carbs because of low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and diabetes risk. Some people have gluten intolerance. I'm allergic to chicken eggs, etc.

^^ This^^. Calories and enough protein. I stay focused on how much sugar I'm consuming as well.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering what you pay more attention to, calories, carbs, fat, sodium or sugar.

In order of importance--carbs (fairly low, 40 to 60g), protein (adequate, 1g per lb of lean body mass), added sugar (low), fat (relatively high, avoiding polyunsaturated and trans fats). Calories and sodium--don't much care.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Calories only as a guideline
    Protein
    Sodium
    Fats
    Sugar - not as important to me as I have it set fairly low - and it depends on where the sugars are coming from - fruit & milk ok if it goes over a bit
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Calories and Protein!!! Gotta get the protein! I aim between 120-150 grams a day. I'm not a big meat eater so some days it is a struggle. LOL. Dairy is my friend on those days. ;)
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Calories and carbs about equally.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey a few years ago it was just calories...but once I hit a certain point and it was just vanity pounds, I had to be really careful with carbs/sugars. Keeping those in check have helped me lose the last 10 pounds or so.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I mostly try to stay under calories, and eat as balanced a diet as I can with my hectic life.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    100% calories for me!!

After calories are figured out, if I notice I am not eating enough protein/carbs i will adjust my macro nutrients in favor of making sure I have enough protein first... but all in all it's calories for me.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I posted this in another thread but still applies:

Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise known as MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your LEAN body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

NOTE: eating FAT does not make you FAT
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Only calories for now. That'll probably change eventually though.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

In order of importance--carbs (fairly low, 40 to 60g), protein (adequate, 1g per lb of lean body mass), added sugar (low), fat (relatively high, avoiding polyunsaturated and trans fats). Calories and sodium--don't much care.

Why do you avoid polyunsaturated? I thought trans was the only "bad" one? Aren't omega-3 fatty acids poly?
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    calories and fat for me right now!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I ignore everything else because it all is dependent on what I am eating at the time. I focus somewhat on Sodium mostly, but I am sensitive to sodium anyway so I have to watch it. As long as you aren't eating a bunch of processed food though it shouldn't matter. There is fat in everything in different form, even fruits are carbs and calories aren't such a big deal if you are eating nutrient rich foods. SO, in the end I let the micros fall where they may unless I am noticeably over eating on something.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    calories and carbs i i don't like to go over on, protein i see as a minimum and fat i don't worry too much about as long as its not waaay over. my sodium isn't bad but if i had issues with sodium i would try to limit that too. good luck :-)
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    CALORIES.....
  • newGeorge
    Options
    I focus mostly on carbs / sugar and calories.

One thing that might be useful is to go into the settings and turn off the things you don't want to track so you aren't always staring at red numbers every day. Not that you should just hide it and pretend that your sodium or sugar isn't off the charts, but if you are going over by a little bit and it's not essential to your diet goals...I say hide it and keep your numbers all green!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread but still applies:

Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise known as MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your LEAN body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

NOTE: eating FAT does not make you FAT

That's an interesting approach. I also do 1g of protein per LBM, but I can hit that with my protein set to 25% of calories. So I do fat for the other 25% then carbohydrates for half my calories. I am not sure why you want want more fat than carbs.