what is the real way to run ?

Options
i heard if you go to fast you will burn yourself out and not be able to do anymore . but what about athletes...aren't they supposed to go their fastest ? am i supposed to run until i can hardly breath or what ?...i don't mind if i have to do that. but which speed should i run ?

Replies

• rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a "real" way to run. I do about 9-10 miles a week and I run however I feel like running that day. Some days it's wind sprints, some days a light jog, other days it's moderate pace. It just depends on my mood/ambition/level of pain from the day before.

---Rob
  • hollandlop
    Options
    if you want to win a race do you have to be your fastest even if you kill yourself?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this is an extremely vague question. When you say run, do you mean distance running for exercise, for time, for race preperation? Do you mean sprinting, are you talking about finding a plan to become healthier, or are you looking to train for a specific event.

give us a little more detail or we can't really help that much.
  • hollandlop
    Options
    3 times around the track-as a race.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you aren't racing, run at a "comfortable" pace. I know this is kinda vague, but it tends to be a vague sport. Run so that you can take that next step. Run so that breathing doesn't hurt. Run so that you can finish. This takes trial and error, but your body will rapidly change when you start running. You'll find a groove soon. Just run.

Racing is a different story altogether. What distance are you running? 5-10 kilometers? Run as fast as you can. Your body should hurt everywhere when you finish. If you run longer distance, you need to learn to pace yourself.

I started running to lose weight. Then I got the motivation to run a marathon. I used pace music to get myself to run consistently around the same speed, and it took trial and error to find the right pace. Check out http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html for some GREAT pace music. Then just play around with it. You'll find yourself getting faster and faster.

By the way-running competitively is not a way to lose weight. You'll actually gain it as you gain muscle and eat to maintain your energy and ability. I gained ten pounds in just a few weeks training for the marathon. It was gone two weeks later. And athletes running their fastest are conditioned to do so. For example, I have run a 7:40 average in a 5k race. When I run to train, I average about a 9 minute to 10 minute mile depending on how far I run.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    If you're racing run as fast as you can...if the question is how to train for the race the answer is different....do some research - runnersworld.com is a great resouce....great workouts, advice etc.