Which is more accurate? HRM or treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill does not ask for your age, weight, height, gender etc, then it will base its calorie burns on a 180lb male.

Weight is the only factor that matters on moving mass around, not gender or age.
    But most treadmills let you adjust weight.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    answer - HRM
  • heybales
    Options
    That's a myth that came from looking at calories burned based on physics where work=distance/time. The reality is you burn 40-50% more calories per mile if you are running or jogging (140-150 avg.) vs. walking (100 avg.) because while running, your center of gravity is being moved up and down (bouncing) which takes a lot more calories to accomplish than walking.

Nerdy, but true.

Depending on speed comparisons, perhaps not that much more all the time, but for sure more, especially compared to the sweet efficiency spot of walking 3.5 mph, that'll get you more than 50% more jogging it.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! To answer a few questions about my HRM:
    -it is a HRM specifically for women. It does still ask for gender when setting it up.
    -it has a chest strap that I wear every workout except swimming of course.
    -along with gender I entered height, weight, & age.

Sounds like HRM will be much closer! I realize its not 100% accurate, just wanting to make sure I'm going with what is MOST accurate.

Slightly new question: How many of you eat all I yor exercise calories back on a regular basis? I'm still on the fence about this.
  • heybales
    Options
    Sounds like HRM will be much closer! I realize its not 100% accurate, just wanting to make sure I'm going with what is MOST accurate.

Then read the studies I posted above to see the most accurate will be the treadmill.

Most of those commenting about HRM being better probably thought it was more accurate when they first got it, not because of some comparison to lab test, but merely for the fact it was different than what anything else reported.

How being different could possibly mean more accurate I have no idea, but by that logic anything you hear that is different than what you've heard before must be more correct, and that's just vacuous logic.

Read the study, obviously don't go by my word. Educate yourself if that interested in MOST accurate.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill does not ask for your age, weight, height, gender etc, then it will base its calorie burns on a 180lb male.

Weight is the only factor that matters on moving mass around, not gender or age.
    But most treadmills let you adjust weight.

I dunno, I beg to differ on that. Every treadmill I have ever seen in the gyms I have been to in the past have no facility for inputting one's details, these are commercial ones I am on about in gyms such as Virgin and Fitness First. I have no idea about gyms in the US etc, perhaps they are different there.
  • heybales
    Options
    I dunno, I beg to differ on that. Every treadmill I have ever seen in the gyms I have been to in the past have no facility for inputting one's details, these are commercial ones I am on about in gyms such as Virgin and Fitness First. I have no idea about gyms in the US etc, perhaps they are different there.

Really, wow. Every one I've seen here in the states allows weight to be changed. And current gym has 20 treadmills from 25 yrs old to couple years old.

Now, they all have the means to skip that and just start the treadmill and set the incline, like elliptical machines. Or enter right past the default weight that is there as you mentioned without correcting it.

But they all have the ability I've seen.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Really, wow. Every one I've seen here in the states allows weight to be changed. And current gym has 20 treadmills from 25 yrs old to couple years old.

Now, they all have the means to skip that and just start the treadmill and set the incline, like elliptical machines. Or enter right past the default weight that is there as you mentioned without correcting it.

But they all have the ability I've seen.

Wish they did that here lol