Satisfy your cravings by making food for others

Options
So I have a HUGE sweet tooth. If I could start every meal with my dessert I totally would! Maybe that's why I'm mediocre at cooking and good at baking lol.

However, when you're on a diet having baked goods around the house can be lethal to your way of life. I found that I would be constantly drooling over recipies I saw, and would feel so sad because I couldnt have that around the house.

One day I finally said, "screw it, im making these!" So I made devils food cake cupcakes with mini reeses and peanut butter frosting (there were a couple mini reeses that founds their way into my mouth lol).

Then I was left with two dozen of these cupcakes... what the heck was I going to do? There's no way I could have these around and not eat them, so I put a picture of them on facebook just showing how i spent my friday night. And I had a lot of comments from people saying how good they looked, etc... and I joked that they could have them all. SO that's what i did! I gave them all away, and it felt GREAT! And let me tell you, it felt good to make them! I felt like I wasnt depriving myself! And I wasn't left with them and scored major points with people!

Does anyone else do something similar? :smile:

Replies

• lrtoland
    Options
    I have done something similar, in fact!! I have kiddos, though, so I can't get rid of ALL my goodies...lol. Also, I keep one (and only one) cupcake/cookie/slice of pie for myself. This way, I get to indulge a little...just not too much!!!

Recently, we made Chocolate chip cookies and gave a bunch to my neighbors. They appreciated it so much and it felt so good to give something away...even if it was merely food!!!
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have done something similar, in fact!! I have kiddos, though, so I can't get rid of ALL my goodies...lol. Also, I keep one (and only one) cupcake/cookie/slice of pie for myself. This way, I get to indulge a little...just not too much!!!

Recently, we made Chocolate chip cookies and gave a bunch to my neighbors. They appreciated it so much and it felt so good to give something away...even if it was merely food!!!

Im sure your neighbors thought you were just the best! :happy:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    So I have a HUGE sweet tooth. If I could start every meal with my dessert I totally would! Maybe that's why I'm mediocre at cooking and good at baking lol.

However, when you're on a diet having baked goods around the house can be lethal to your way of life. I found that I would be constantly drooling over recipies I saw, and would feel so sad because I couldnt have that around the house.

One day I finally said, "screw it, im making these!" So I made devils food cake cupcakes with mini reeses and peanut butter frosting (there were a couple mini reeses that founds their way into my mouth lol).

Then I was left with two dozen of these cupcakes... what the heck was I going to do? There's no way I could have these around and not eat them, so I put a picture of them on facebook just showing how i spent my friday night. And I had a lot of comments from people saying how good they looked, etc... and I joked that they could have them all. SO that's what i did! I gave them all away, and it felt GREAT! And let me tell you, it felt good to make them! I felt like I wasnt depriving myself! And I wasn't left with them and scored major points with people!

I baked a chocolate mousse cake one time. I ate the whole thing in one day. I ate 1/4 of it. Went to gym. Came home ate another 1/4 and was like damn! Went back to the gym. Then was like my Lord its good. I ate the rest of it and went back to the gym. Came home and took a shower and still felt like a fat *kitten* so I went for a 5 mile run. Suprisingly didnt gain any weight. I actually lost 3 pounds that day. I ran a total of 18 miles that day. :noway:
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes! Although I am more of a cook than a baker :)
    But after an hour in the kitchen I feel so satisfied, as though I just ate a big meal! Then I have a bunch of food in the fridge - ready for the week :)
    If I were to make sweets, I would probably have to give them away too :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I love to cook/bake and I love the compliments that I get from people when they try my food :) It's a great way to be able to have a treat every once in a while but not have to worry about the 'rest' of the goodies being within reach. Taking them to work is also a great way to get rid of them :P
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I think this is a good idea :) Although I'd probably end up eating alot of them myself before giving them away, haha
  • meganbwright
    Options
    I love this. I have a serious love for cooking, and I enjoy baking too. I find that I get about the same amount of satisfaction out of seeing others enjoy the delicious things that I've made as I do in eating them myself. I just have to remember to give most of it away right away, so that it doesn't sit there tempting me, and it doesn't get stale or go bad :cry: Keep on whipping up delicious treats and sharing the love (and the calories lol).
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yep. I used to just give them to my husband but now that he is logging, I had to start watching that. I make big batches of bad things and give them to family members or bring them to work.

For the most part, I dont believe in taking a great recipe and altering every item to be low cal. If I want carrot cake, Im making the good one with cream cheese icing. Not the light version with egg whites and splenda.

Life is too short to completely give up the good stuff.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I baked a chocolate mousse cake one time. I ate the whole thing in one day. I ate 1/4 of it. Went to gym. Came home ate another 1/4 and was like damn! Went back to the gym. Then was like my Lord its good. I ate the rest of it and went back to the gym. Came home and took a shower and still felt like a fat *kitten* so I went for a 5 mile run. Suprisingly didnt gain any weight. I actually lost 3 pounds that day. I ran a total of 18 miles that day. :noway:

This must mean that chocolate mousse cake makes the weight fall right off! :laugh:
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I make chocolate chip and m&m cookies or chocolate cupcakes for my flatmate every alternating Friday. He loves it and I am never tempted!