High Protein Diet and Belly Fat

I recently read that eating a diet high in protein was a good way of dieting if, like me, you carry your weight around your mid-section. Does anybody know if this is a good idea? Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    I think it depends on how you process carbs. If carbs make you bloat, then limiting them may help shrink you middle, if not, then I don't think it make a difference. I like my high protein diet simply because it keep me full and nourishes my muscles when I lift.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Getting a reasonable amount of protein is great for maintaining lean muscle tissue but really has no thermogenic effect. You won't lose fat just because you eat more protein. It takes a calorie deficit to burn fat.
  • Thanks guys! I thought it sounded a bit fishy... But being a meat lover I think my body just wanted to believe chowing down on steaks would make me thin :)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    There are special groups here for those who follow high protein or low carb diets of many different kinds - they do work but you have ask yourself is is a sustainable life style for you. For some people it is and they do very well others it is just too hard

Steak is great but what if it just steak and no potatoes :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Thanks guys! I thought it sounded a bit fishy... But being a meat lover I think my body just wanted to believe chowing down on steaks would make me thin :)

Oh that it were so!! lol Eating a good mix of macronutrients while in deficit is the key. The priority after calorie deficit is protein, then fats then carbs with what's left. I don't know what your workout routine is but it is generally recommeded that, if you are doing strength training, you get .8 to one gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. A little more if doing extensive cardio. .35 to .4 grams of fats per pound of body weight and carbs for the balance. If you wanted to get a little more low carb, up the protein and the fats and drop the carbs a little. But stay in calorie deficit for weight loss.