Pho Noodles

Options
So I am in love with Vietnamese Pho Tai.

I go to a little hole in the wall place that serves it with a few rice noodles and the broth...everything else is optional at the table.

I leave it at that, just the broth, beef, and rice noodles.

It's a bowl that holds probably 4 cups of broth.

NO idea nutritional information on this...anyone?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I go to a little hole in the wall place that serves it with a few rice noodles and the broth...everything else is optional at the table.

I have no idea either but I applaud you for eating Pho. One of my favorites.

I estimate my Pho at about 900-1100 per bowl, however, I get the kind of bowl you can bathe in, with double noodles and double beef.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It would entirely depend on the amount of noodles and cuts of beef, the fattier cuts would obviously add a lot more cals
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last week with Pho Ga. Bowl is probably 3-4 cups, more rice noodles than necessary (but I eat them all anyway).....after some random internet searches I settled on something like 1300, hoping it was an overestimate. And the sodium was WAY higher than I would have liked.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I love them too. Stuff like that is just a very rare treat and then I just try not to stress about it too much. And drink tons more water.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    hmm id say if the noodles in it were a cup's worth then thats 200 cals there...beef broth...made from scratch is 30 calories per cup.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Pho has MASSIVE amounts of sodium in it. The average bowl probably exceeds your entire days allotment of sodium. I LOVE it and have it about once every couple of months but if you eat it plan on being up in weight afterwards due to sodium water retention.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...I want pho now...nomnomnomnom.
    Extra sriracha and bean sprouts, please.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I log it, somewhat arbitrarily, as 1.5 servings of Pho Hoa/Tai - Fresh Sliced Beef Pho (in the MFP databse). That comes to 551 calories. Seems about right for a medium.

I keep meaning to order it to go some time, and weigh out the beef and noodles. If I do this some day, I'll report back.
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Here is the link

http://www.livestrong.com/article/316125-how-many-calories-does-pho-soup-have/

I love love pho, and MFP also has nutrition info if you just search for pho, chicken pho...it will bring it up. prob around 900 cal for 3 cups depends...i usually dont put the extra sauce in there just makes it even higher in cal.

I know for me pho is a great alternative to fast food, i drink a lot of water afterwards so the sodium is not so bad.

So i would say, eat pho as a treat not as an everyday thing... I LOVE LOVE PHO:)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There's this one too
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/347323-nutrition-information-for-pho-hoa/

But did you notice, the first reference at the bottom of that article is MyFitnessPal! This is just some entry that someone entered into the MFP database some day. It's a crapshoot. But like i said, I still use it, but multiply by 1.5, which makes it seem vaguely correct.

This is basically a circular reference. The MFP entry is backed up by the livestrong article, which is backed up by the MFP entry... :laugh:
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    thanks for all of the answers, guys. Aside from the sodium- pho is awesome. Sounds perfect for after a century (100mile) bike ride...yes!!!

plus, all of the super healthy add ins like bean sprouts and herbs have got to be great for my body! happy pho-ing lol