Post-Race Headache

Options
I started running when I was 13 years old...ran competitively in high school and college, and since then have just been running whenever I can and I do several road races every year. I never had any issues until lately; after every single race, I get massive headaches that eventually lead to me becoming nauseous. I thought it may be related to lack of caffeine on these days, but even with caffeine and taking doses of Ibuprofen and/or Tylenol, the headaches don't go away until after I've had a full night's sleep. Naps don't work either.

Does anyone else experience this? And if so, do you have a remedy? I hate to be so unproductive and miserable after a race. Is there a food or something that will help? I'm open to suggestions!!

Replies

• vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My first thought is dehydration. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water (or maybe some Gatorade or something) to make sure you're not dehydrated. Other than that I don't have any real ideas, but those headaches sound like migraines. I get migraines and I can pretty much only tell it's a migraine (I get lots of headaches, not all migraines) when the nausea comes along with the headache.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a whole bunch of head issues, but dehydration is one of my causes of migraines, as is a significant change in blood pressure.

Easiest thing to try is drinking more water, and maybe take your blood pressure after the race?