What to eat before giving blood

Options
Title says it all. I'm giving blood this week.

Does anyone have any idea what I should eat and drink the day before or on the day? Also if its applicable how many calories.

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just eat like normal. They will give you snacks and drinks during. Drink lots of water or sports drinks like Gatorade. The only thing I do to prepare is take some iron supplements a few days before because I have low iron and can't donate if I don't take the supplements.

Don't exercise on the day you donate, before or after giving blood.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm no nurse, but I've given a lot of blood -- you don't really need to do anything different. Eat your usual well-balanced meals in the days before and after and you will be fine. There might be a case for finding foods that are higher in iron, but it's probably not going to make a noticeable difference in your experience.

The only suggestion I have is to be sure to eat before you donate. Mostly, that's for your comfort's sake, but it might also help prevent light-headedness that some people experience.

Good for you for donating! There is a huge need for it!
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need more red meat and spinach or something to boost my iron. I don't really eat that many foods with high iron content nowadays.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need more red meat and spinach or something to boost my iron. I don't really eat that many foods with high iron content nowadays.

You may not have to. I don't know if you've donated before, but they do a finger prick before to test your iron (I usually fail). If you fail, you can try again the next day, and try to boost your iron through food or vitamins.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Drink more water than usual.

Eat iron rich foods like spinach, liver (or not :noway: ). Other iron rich foods include red meat, dried fruit, egg yolks, beans/lentils, and iron-enriched breads or cereals.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    I've never given blood before, so I don't know the procedure too well.

Thanks for listing iron sources. I know of two, red meat and spinach. Didn't know about a lot of the ones mentioned. I'll be drinking a tonne of water that day. I always carry 1 litre on me during the day anyway.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Be sure to be well hydrated-- drink fluids in the two days before; this will ensure your blood vessels are nice & plump :-)

Avoid eating sugary stuff, soda, and focus on good meals in the days before. Don't eat an hour before donating. After, they usually give you juice, water, and/or cookies, etc. If you don't want to mess up your diet, bring an orange or cup with fruit to eat after.

They will test your blood for iron level before taking and you'll be rejected if not high enough. Nothing personal; it means you can't afford to lose any blood.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Drink more water than usual.

Eat iron rich foods like spinach, liver (or not :noway: ). Other iron rich foods include red meat, dried fruit, egg yolks, beans/lentils, and iron-enriched breads or cereals.

^this^
    I always eat the cookies after because I am not a sugar addict and I rearly ever eat cookies, but if you think you might have an issue with their snacks--all very processed--then bring your own healthy snack to eat right after.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    just turn up, they ask you to drink a cup of water, they test your haemoglobin and reject you if it's too low (try again in 3 months). After donating they give you tea or coffee and a biscuit or similar.

Zero preparation required, to be honest.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    special brownies...
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I looked it up, since I'm a regular donor. One pint of donation = 600 calories ( I even add it to my activity log).

As for what to eat....iron takes 2 weeks to make a difference in your circulating hemoglobin level, so it won't make any difference the night before. The day of donation, have lots of water and be sure to eat at least an hour before donation.

Thanks for helping to save 3 lives with your gift!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    BLOOD OBVIOUSLY
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I usually give blood first thing in the morning and do it fasted
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    FYI, fasting is only recommended if you are getting labwork done (I work at a lab). Donating on an empty stomach is a BAD idea. Unless you like fainting...everyone has their preference ;) lol
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Black pudding. ;)
  • acc122
    acc122 Posts: 2
    Options
    Lots of water before and after. Plus, I always eat a meal within an hour before to make sure my blood sugar is up. I got lightheaded once and it was NOT fun!
  • formerlynobel
    formerlynobel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to give blood between breakfast close to lunch, after a hearty (protein, oatmeal, etc.) breakfast and a lot of fluids. I try not to overeat afterward, because somehow it makes my stomach upset, maybe due to a lower blood volume to digest? Ha ha... well, I am not much over the weight limit of donating blood, so maybe that's just me. I've donated five times.

I usually do work out the day of, before breakfast, but not afterward, as they suggest. I'm usually back to my normal routine the next day, maybe a touch lighter if I am feeling tired.

Oh, and the seven days before, I do take 35mg iron, as well as seven days afterward. I tend to get anemic (most of my adult life, before and after being vegetarian).
  • kgeldreich
    Options
    Eat a can of lentil soup. Pair your iron rich foods with vitamin C to enhance absorption (ex/ have lemon water and an orange with your meal). If you have a multivitamin take one of those.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lots of water before, eat normally, if you're donating in the morning make sure you drink breakfast. I find I have to drink a regular coke or sprite while donating otherwise I'll pass out. Drink a good amount of water after as well. I've exercised before I've given blood before, but there was a good period of time and food intake in between (I exercised at like 8am and gave blood around 5 or 6pm) but I've donated a few times, so I was comfortable doing so.

If you feel dizzy after they sit you up just ask them to lay you back down, I usually stay laying back for about 15 mins after I finish giving since I have almost passed out 3 different times.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    I try to give blood between breakfast close to lunch, after a hearty (protein, oatmeal, etc.) breakfast and a lot of fluids. I try not to overeat afterward, because somehow it makes my stomach upset, maybe due to a lower blood volume to digest? Ha ha... well, I am not much over the weight limit of donating blood, so maybe that's just me. I've donated five times.

I usually do work out the day of, before breakfast, but not afterward, as they suggest. I'm usually back to my normal routine the next day, maybe a touch lighter if I am feeling tired.

Oh, and the seven days before, I do take 35mg iron, as well as seven days afterward. I tend to get anemic (most of my adult life, before and after being vegetarian).

I've made a booking, and it's between lunch and dinner time. I think I might go over my calories that day.