Organic? or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing organic with whole foods. whole foods are not necessarily organic, nor are organic foods necessarily whole. IMO I honestly find no great benefit to going organic. Organic refers to the environment in which the product is grown, unless you are paranoid of pesticides (which I'm not) there is no medical benefit to organic foods. Whole foods yes, organic foods completely optional.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/11/opinion/carroll-organic-food/index.html
    There have been many studies done showing there is no better nutritional value derived from organic foods than whole food. There is no magical benefit. If you choose to spend more money on a product based purely on the environment it was grown be my guest, I prefer my food to be cheap and free if illness and bugs, and guess what *shocker* same nutritional value.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    "Organic" is such a joke. The standards for what is deemed organic is laughable. The fact that a company can deem their chicken as "free range" simply because they had a tiny box out in the sun to scratch around in for a few minutes a day goes to show what the government standards for labeling things are.

I don't see what organic produce standards have to do with "free range" chicken standards. If you live in the US you can find the standards online. The produce standards are actually fairly reasonable--although I agree, the poultry standards are sadly lacking.

I tend to use things like the "dirty dozen" and "clean 15" to help guide my decisions. As others have mentioned, apples, berries, and leafy greens tend to have a lot of pesticide residue, even after washing, so I almost always buy those organic. On the other hand, melon tends to have low pesticide residue, so I decide whether to buy those organic or conventional based on price and availability. I also buy organic soy products, as GMOs cannot be labeled organic, and I have issues with eating something genetically engineered to be bathed in Roundup throughout its life.

Edited to add: I tend to pay close attention to things food scientists say in interviews they do not eat or feed to their families. I figure if people who spend their lives studying these things don't feel comfortable eating conventional apples, or giving their children non-organic milk, this tells me something. I don't think organic foods are "more nutritious," but I do have concerns about accumulated toxins in my body, as well as in the environment.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    yes Organic all the way! i cant eat all organic but i try to buy everything i can organic. Meat especially.
    Truth is the more people buy Organic the cheaper it will become over time.
  • MantisToboggan_MD
    MantisToboggan_MD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Truth is the more people buy Organic the cheaper it will become over time."

Wat?
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Obviously nutritionally its the same but I have seen many times and try to stick with organic for thin skin stuff like berries. I also try to do organic if I'm eating the skin like apples and pears. Anything else I don't really worry about.
  • bethanyclaire88
    Options
    Mellisant- I am working on my second degree in food science and I eat conventional apples and drink non-organic milk every day and I am in great health. While there is still a great deal of research to be done on the subject of both organic and GMO foods, it is known that the body has robust mechanisms for handling toxins. It's the dose that makes the poison. Regardless of organic status, eating a variety and large number of fruits and vegetables is far better than limiting then number you eat. If you are interested in knowing more, I would recommend reading the March 2012 issue of Food Technology, it has a great review article on organic foods. In the end some of it comes down to personal preference, especially in terms of flavor or feelings about supporting local farmers.
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly believe all the lies regarding GMOs feeding the world? In my research, you should avoid them at all costs, especially soft-skinned fruit and vegetables, as these are sprayed with millions of pounds of chemicals. It's been said that organics are not superior but when my body has to fight chemicals instead of gathering nutrients, organics are definitely superior.

There is a movie showing online for free this week and sponsored by Nutiva. It's a real eye-opener. I highly suggest it to everybody who eats GMO foods without blinking an eye.

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

I will def watch this, thank you
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing organic with whole foods. whole foods are not necessarily organic, nor are organic foods necessarily whole. IMO I honestly find no great benefit to going organic. Organic refers to the environment in which the product is grown, unless you are paranoid of pesticides (which I'm not) there is no medical benefit to organic foods. Whole foods yes, organic foods completely optional.
    There have been many studies done showing there is no better nutritional value derived from organic foods than whole food. There is no magical benefit. If you choose to spend more money on a product based purely on the environment it was grown be my guest, I prefer my food to be cheap and free if illness and bugs, and guess what *shocker* same nutritional value.

ok yeah, that makes sense too...
    no bugs and illnesses but... does that mean I'll get sick and won't be able to fight it off as easily too?
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, I prefer food that contains carbon.

LOVE this comment.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

ok yeah, that makes sense too...
    no bugs and illnesses but... does that mean I'll get sick and won't be able to fight it off as easily too?

If that were logical then I would say do you also not use tooth paste to brush your teeth, soap to wash your body, cleanser for your face in fear that you are weakening your immune system? No.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    organic is the biggest joke on consumers since "reduced fat" and is soon to be beaten by "green" products.

I love how they take bleach, that is tested on animals, use the same process to make it and produce the same emissions in the process, then package it in a bottle with 10% last plastic, raise the price 30% and call it "green."
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only buy organic of the fruits and veg that has a thin layer, like tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, apples, peaches, grapes. If you eat non organic of these foods you will end up consuming the chemicals too, which on a long term could end up getting you sick, but at this point it hasnt been officially proven, but my body doesnt need chemicals so thats why i do it.

Bananas, avocados, watermelon, i dont mind buying regular of, because its not affected as much by the pesticides they use.

But you dont need to go organic to be on a health kick:)
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly believe all the lies regarding GMOs feeding the world? In my research, you should avoid them at all costs, especially soft-skinned fruit and vegetables, as these are sprayed with millions of pounds of chemicals. It's been said that organics are not superior but when my body has to fight chemicals instead of gathering nutrients, organics are definitely superior.

There is a movie showing online for free this week and sponsored by Nutiva. It's a real eye-opener. I highly suggest it to everybody who eats GMO foods without blinking an eye.

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

I am of the same beliefs. There is just too much wrong with foods nowadays and our bodies are showing the outcome of what we are eating. Personally, I know so many people who are always sick. They catch every virus that comes around, not to mention the havoc that can be wreaked with the thyroid gland. It goes on and on.

I just watched the video and it truly is an eye opener.